Problem with Gatling Requests

Jamie Tabone

Mar 18, 2015, 4:47:02 AM3/18/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have a script which makes 8 request to my web server for static content. When running the test two weeks ago I got the following result:

Displaying image.png

When I re run the exact same script on the exact same infrastructure yesterday I got the following result twice:

Displaying image.png

Displaying image.png

In the last two attempts the test keeps on going for more than 20 minutes (rather than 20 minutes as defined in the script) an the behavior of Gatling is different when compared to the first attempt.

Do you have any idea why this is happening?

Thank you.

Jamie Tabone

Stéphane LANDELLE

Mar 18, 2015, 5:09:31 AM3/18/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
Broken images.

Stéphane Landelle
Lead developer

Jamie Tabone

Mar 18, 2015, 5:15:21 AM3/18/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
First Test:
Displaying image.png

Second Test:

Displaying image.png

Third Test:

Displaying image.png

Sorry, are they visible now?

Stéphane LANDELLE

Mar 18, 2015, 5:18:25 AM3/18/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
Only the second one. Please check your post on the forum: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gatling/MZOSJrA048w/Wzzk8NHZDi0J

Stéphane Landelle
Lead developer

Jamie Tabone

Mar 18, 2015, 5:23:14 AM3/18/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
Here is a link to dropbox, I think it is a better this way and sorry for the inconvenience:

Stéphane LANDELLE

Mar 18, 2015, 5:26:01 AM3/18/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
No idea, as the answer is on your system. Could be anything from memory, CPU, network...

Stéphane Landelle
Lead developer

Jamie Tabone

Mar 18, 2015, 5:43:27 AM3/18/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't find anything different from the time I run the first test and the last two.

However, would it be right in your opinion to at least cut the simulation file so that I will only view data of the first 20 minutes of the test?

Because I am doing a performance test on a system and multiple runs are being done to ensure that any performance conclusions are valid. So that then I can say that in a test of 20 minutes the system was capable of serving 400,000 transactions for example.

Thank you. Jamie.

Jamie Tabone

Mar 19, 2015, 5:35:08 AM3/19/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
@Stephane Landelle Can Gatling be effected by low disk space?

Stéphane LANDELLE

Mar 19, 2015, 5:40:26 AM3/19/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
Possibly yes, as you're using the standard file reports that write the stats in a log file during the run.

Stéphane Landelle
Lead developer

Jamie Tabone

Mar 19, 2015, 5:46:17 AM3/19/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I am using the standard write to simulation.log. So that may result in Gatling not sending any requests to the server?

Because my Azure VM which has 14 GB of RAM and 8 cores has more than 19 GB of space taken by the accumulated test results and the total disk space is of 30 GB.

Stéphane LANDELLE

Mar 19, 2015, 5:48:59 AM3/19/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
You should clean up the accumulated tests, that might help.

Stéphane Landelle
Lead developer

Jamie Tabone

Mar 19, 2015, 5:54:35 AM3/19/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
I will try that and re run one of the tests to see the result Thanks and I will let you know.

Jamie Tabone

Mar 19, 2015, 6:58:55 AM3/19/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
I have removed all the previous results and re-run the test. However, the same result happened again. Is there a way to at least limit the test to stop exactly after 20 minutes?

Stéphane LANDELLE

Mar 19, 2015, 7:01:50 AM3/19/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com

Stéphane Landelle
Lead developer

Jamie Tabone

Mar 19, 2015, 7:53:09 AM3/19/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Given that I already executed the tests, is there a way to regenerate the results showing only the data for the first 20 minutes of the test? I know I can use -ro but is there a way to restrict the time?

Stéphane LANDELLE

Mar 19, 2015, 8:37:04 AM3/19/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
No. Parse the file yourself and remove the lines.

Stéphane Landelle
Lead developer

Jamie Tabone

Mar 19, 2015, 8:44:18 AM3/19/15
to gat...@googlegroups.com
But which lines should I remove because the 20th minute is 142660075...however after that line there are still lines which have a timestamp before that. I mean my idea was to find the first time stamp which is greater than 142660075000 and remove all the lines following it. But that is not the right way to do it I think, right?

 Inline image 1