FA Suggestion

Dave

Jun 25, 2012, 11:49:18 PM6/25/12
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I wanted to put forward another suggestion for FA:  More aggregation style reports.  In particular, aggregate by "command" - or in our case, Mach-II event name.

The fact that a particular request at a particular time had a particular database query that took 5 seconds or returned 10,000 rows doesn't mean much to me, however that fact that the top 20 events in terms of average count of database rows returned is "be.showHomeScreen,rm.listRequisitions,jm.listJobs, etc", gives me somewhere to concentrate development effort on performance tuning on.

This approach would be very useful for all sorts of metrics, eg, Avg Execution Time, JDBC time, CPU time, etc

We currently have something similar using a SSAS which we ETL data from the FR Logs directly for.

Dave

Charlie Arehart

Jun 26, 2012, 5:29:32 PM6/26/12
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com

Dave, you referred in an earlier note to having found the Framework section of FA. If you could configure that (but for your need for POST-based commands), it would seem that it would then give what you want.

Have you been able to configure any mach-ii entries at all in FA to see how that would work? If so, are you saying then that you’re not finding what you seek below? I will admit I’ve not yet done much with the fw-based aspects in FA, but from what I’ve observed I’d have thought it was closer to what you seek than not. I’m open to being educated (whether by you, the Intergral folks, or someone else). Just trying to help.

/charlie

Dave

Jun 26, 2012, 6:30:58 PM6/26/12
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charlie,

I've been playing with the Mach-II frameworks section of FA. I can't find a way to configure it at the moment (not sure if I'm missing a menu).

The existing detail reports certainly show me metrics broken down by Mach-II event, and for any of the "detailed" (1 line per request) this makes perfect sense.

Where things get a little more tricky is the aggregate report(s), namely Mach-II Request => Most Popular Requests and Business Metrics => Reports => Daily Status.

The only aggregation these reports do is a very fine level (event) and a very course level (application).  We have a _large_ mach-II app, with many thousands of events. We group events into a namespace and it would be nice to be able to report on aggregations at the namespace level.

FA is absolutely a fantastic product, but I see it's greatest value for larger sites being on more aggregate reports instead of detail reports, and slicing and dicing those aggregations down to the details. - Does that make sense?  I could shoot you screenshots of what we use at the moment for this slicing and dicing. We want to get away from the current (inhouse) model and into a 3rd party solution for application performance management.

dave

David Stockton

Jun 27, 2012, 6:12:32 AM6/27/12
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
Hello David,

I think we already do at least some of what you're suggesting. However, I'd like to get some more (potentially private) information so I'm going to contact you directly from our Fusion support email address.

After our conversation I'll report back to the group for the benefit of the community.

Best regards,
David Stockton
Fusion Support Team

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/fusionanalytics/-/uzt7c9DU8jAJ.

David Stockton

Jun 29, 2012, 8:41:00 AM6/29/12
to fusiona...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

For those reading this thread, I'd just like to re-iterate that we do support aggregation by the MachII command (typically the "event" URL/FORM variable). You can view reports such as slowest requests on average, longest request execution time, highest cpu in total, etc and have them aggregate based on the MachII command/event, not just the URL (which are typically always your index.cfm page).

Additionally, note that we do this similar technique for ColdBox, FuseBox and ModelGlue!