Yes, Doctor!

Kim Jones

Oct 10, 2012, 2:54:07 AM10/10/12
to Everything List
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9597345/Afterlife-exists-says-top-brain-surgeon.html

Comments, theories, reflections welcome.

"You pays your money and you makes your choice".

Kim Jones

meekerdb

Oct 10, 2012, 3:14:56 AM10/10/12
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't say yes to him. He thinks your brain doesn't need to function. He might
substitute a rock.

Brent

Roger Clough

Oct 10, 2012, 7:32:11 AM10/10/12
to everything-list
Hi Kim Jones

My own opinion is that the world is much stranger than we
think it is. NDEs are like UFOs. They don't make any scientific sense,
but they are widely experienced and reported. I don't think
all of the observers can be crazy. But I am a type P in the mbti,
so loose ends don't bother me.

Roger Clough, rcl...@verizon.net
10/10/2012

From: Kim Jones
Receiver: Everything List
Time: 2012-10-10, 02:54:07
Subject: Yes, Doctor!

Craig Weinberg

Oct 10, 2012, 11:37:01 AM10/10/12
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
NDEs make sense to me in my model. With personal consciousness as a subset of super-personal consciousness, it stands to reason that the personal event of one's own death would or could be a super-signifiying presentation in the native language of one's person (or super-person).

Craig

Bruno Marchal

Oct 10, 2012, 1:12:46 PM10/10/12
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
If "your" goal is to survive, that might work. If your "goal" is to
complete your mission nearby, that might not work, especially from the
point of view of the observers.

A machine with the cognitive ability sufficient to bet genuinely on an
artificial digital brain can understand we don't really need one to
survive.

But then the question is "who are you?", really.

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

Russell Standish

Oct 10, 2012, 9:00:13 PM10/10/12
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
We are getting close to the point I made a number of years ago - if
COMP is true, then it really doesn't matter whether you say yes or no
to the doctor, you will survive anyway (due to COMP immortality).

Conversely, if COMP is false, you won't survive - independent of
agreeing to the doctor.

Bruno, did you have a response to that yet?

Cheers

Prof Russell Standish Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Professor of Mathematics hpc...@hpcoders.com.au
University of New South Wales http://www.hpcoders.com.au

Roger Clough

Oct 11, 2012, 8:59:12 AM10/11/12
to everything-list
Hi Craig Weinberg

The NDE is a piece of cake if you realize that
in Leibniz's metaphysics, the mind, like everything else,
is nonphysical. And everyone's monad survives
death, at least in some form.

There are some limitations depending on your
ability to mentally perceive and there are always
distortions. It's sometimes called the dream state
or the collective unconscious. I believe that
myth and story are integral parts of it.

Roger Clough, rcl...@verizon.net
10/11/2012

From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-10, 11:37:01
Subject: Re: Yes, Doctor!

NDEs make sense to me in my model. With personal consciousness as a subset of super-personal consciousness, it stands to reason that the personal event of one's own death would or could be a super-signifiying presentation in the native language of one's person (or super-person).

Craig

John Clark

Oct 13, 2012, 12:50:23 PM10/13/12
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 , Roger Clough <rcl...@verizon.net> wrote:

> NDEs are like UFOs.

Yes they're both bullshit. The trouble with UFOs is that people forget what the "U" stands for and keep identifying the damn thing as a flying saucer from another planet; I see a light in the sky and I don't know what it is, therefore it's a spaceship full of aliens. Bullshit is it not?

The trouble with NDEs is that people forget what the "N" stands for, because as Monty Python taught us decades ago, being nearly dead just isn't good enough. CDEs would be far more interesting, when you find somebody that has been COMPLETELY dead and buried for a decade or two and comes back and tells us what experiences he had then talk to me again.

  John K Clark

Roger Clough

Oct 13, 2012, 1:21:00 PM10/13/12
to everything-list
Hi John Clark

This is supposed to be a scientific discussion.

Roger Clough, rcl...@verizon.net
10/13/2012

From: John Clark
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-13, 12:50:23
? John K Clark

John Clark

Oct 13, 2012, 1:40:06 PM10/13/12
On Sat, Oct 13, 2012Roger Clough <rcl...@verizon.net> wrote:

> This is supposed to be a scientific discussion.

Yes, so why are you talking about  NDEs and UFOs? If I was interested in that crap I wouldn't read a scientific journal or go to the Everything List, I'd just pick up a copy of the National Enquirer at my local supermarket, that way I'd also get the astrology column and I could read about the diet tips of the movie stars.

  John K Clark

Kim Jones

Oct 13, 2012, 8:07:21 PM10/13/12
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
MMmmmmmppppfffff!!!! Maybe it's time for your afternoon nap, John?

Kim Jones

Roger Clough

Oct 15, 2012, 10:25:43 AM10/15/12
to everything-list
Hi John Clark

Contempt prior to investigation is not a scientific attitude.

Roger Clough, rcl...@verizon.net
10/15/2012

From: John Clark
Receiver: everything-list