The two basic theologies

Roger Clough

Jan 1, 2013, 10:08:36 AM1/1/13
to - MindBrain@yahoogroups.com, everything-list
A Theology for Atheists

There are two opposing forces in the universe, those which enhance
life, which we call Good, and those which diminish life, which we call Evil.

As evidenced, these can be present in both happenings and in people.

We have the freedom to support either cause or not support one.

A Theology for Theists

The same holds as above, with the addition that there is some
overriding intelligence which causes the happenings, good or
evil, either preferably or acceptably. It can also read and/or inform
our hearts.

[Roger Clough], [rcl...@verizon.net]
1/1/2013

Craig Weinberg

Jan 1, 2013, 3:03:10 PM1/1/13
to everyth...@googlegroups.com, - MindBrain@yahoogroups.com

On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 10:08:36 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:
A Theology for Atheists

There are two opposing forces in the universe, those which enhance
life, which we call Good, and those which diminish life, which we call Evil.

Enhance whose life though? Would slavery Good or Evil? What about promiscuity or dessert or yeast? Is cell division good or evil?

Who determines what 'enhanced' or 'diminished' means?

As evidenced, these can be present in both happenings and in people.

We have the freedom to support either cause or not support one.

Don't we support both at all times, just by being alive?

------------------------------
------------------------

A Theology for Theists

The same holds as above, with the addition that there is some
overriding intelligence which causes the happenings, good or
evil, either preferably or acceptably. It can also read and/or inform
our hearts.

Roger Clough

Jan 1, 2013, 4:14:18 PM1/1/13
to everything-list
Hi Craig Weinberg

CRAIG: Enhance whose life though?

ROGER: Anybody's life.

CRAIG: Would slavery Good or Evil?

ROGER: The masters diminish the life of the slaves.
The slaves have their lives diminished.  So there's
no good in it at all.

CRAIG: What about promiscuity or dessert or yeast?

ROGER: Promiscuity diminishes the value of love and commitment,
    hence of life. I have no opinions on dessert or yeast.

CRAIG: Is cell division good or evil?
I would say that growth of healthy cells is goog because they enhance life.
And growth of cancer cells is evil or bad because they can cause death.

[Roger Clough], [rcl...@verizon.net]
1/1/2013
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-01, 15:03:10
Subject: Re: The two basic theologies

Craig Weinberg

Jan 1, 2013, 5:42:20 PM1/1/13

On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 4:14:18 PM UTC-5, rclough wrote:
Hi Craig Weinberg

CRAIG: Enhance whose life though?

ROGER: Anybody's life.

Disinfectants destroy microbiotic life.

CRAIG: Would slavery Good or Evil?

ROGER: The masters diminish the life of the slaves.
The slaves have their lives diminished.  So there's
no good in it at all.

The slaves enhance the lives of their masters. Their masters have their lives enhanced. So there's as much good in it as not.

CRAIG: What about promiscuity or dessert or yeast?

ROGER: Promiscuity diminishes the value of love and commitment,
    hence of life. I have no opinions on dessert or yeast.

Promiscuity without contraception enhances the number of pregnancies.  If you have no opinion on the others, does that mean that they don't fit into the good/evil dichotomy?

CRAIG: Is cell division good or evil?
I would say that growth of healthy cells is goog because they enhance life.
And growth of cancer cells is evil or bad because they can cause death.

Cancer cells enhance their own life.

Roger Clough

Jan 2, 2013, 6:29:55 AM1/2/13
to everything-list
Hi Craig Weinberg

So what's good for one may be evil for another.
No surprise there. That's why an overriding
referee or judge (God) is necessary.

[Roger Clough], [rcl...@verizon.net]
1/2/2013
From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-01, 17:42:20
Subject: Re: Re: The two basic theologies
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/-/fnlB3WkwxW8J.

Craig Weinberg

Jan 2, 2013, 12:07:03 PM1/2/13

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 6:29:55 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:
Hi Craig Weinberg

So what's good for one may be evil for another.
No surprise there. That's why an overriding
referee or judge (God) is necessary.

Why would the relativity of value necessitate some kind of referee? Any physical change robs one system of energy by increasing the energy of another. Why should there be an independent judge watching over these transactions? With sense instead of God, the weight of consequence is within the experience itself, subjectively implicit rather than an objectively explicit independent entity.

John Clark

Jan 2, 2013, 11:41:39 PM1/2/13
On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Roger Clough <rcl...@verizon.net> wrote:

> A Theology for Atheists
There are two opposing forces in the universe, those which enhance
life, which we call Good, and those which diminish life, which we call Evil.

Yes, the particle accelerator physicists at CERN have just announced that they have discovered a fifth force in nature and it's morality; and just as the fundamental particle of electromagnetism is the photon and the fundamental particle of the strong nuclear force is the pion, the fundamental particle of morality is the moron.

  John K Clark

Roger Clough

Jan 3, 2013, 5:22:24 AM1/3/13
to everything-list
Hi Craig Weinberg

Enhancing Life is not a very arbitrary value,
but of course interpreting what that means
can differ from person to person.  That's why we have
laws, either religious or legal ones.

[Roger Clough], [rcl...@verizon.net]
1/3/2013
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-02, 12:07:03
Subject: Re: Re: Re: The two basic theologies

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/-/zg__rP1ZhjYJ.

Craig Weinberg

Jan 3, 2013, 12:21:51 PM1/3/13

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:22:24 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:
Hi Craig Weinberg

Enhancing Life is not a very arbitrary value,

I don't know about arbitrary, but it is a very nebulous value. What does the enhancement of life consist of? The growth of bacteria? The improvement of the standard of living of one species or group over another? Population growth or maximization of ecological niche coverage on Earth? Anything can be seen as enhancing life. We stockpile nerve gas and nuclear weapons because we feel that it enhances our lives. People keep loaded guns under their pillow because it enhances their lives.

It is apparent that people have very different ideas of what enhances life - in many cases opposite ideas. To me, linking good and evil to such a subjective definition is asking for trouble. Equating good with socially benevolent qualities seems more accurate and useful.

Craig

Roger Clough

Jan 4, 2013, 3:13:49 AM1/4/13
to everything-list
Hi Craig Weinberg

Yes, there is no calculus for the quality of life.
But we still have to make decisions about it.

[Roger Clough], [rcl...@verizon.net]
1/4/2013
From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list