Hating the rich

Roger Clough

Aug 31, 2012, 4:45:50 AM8/31/12
to everything-list

Hating the rich is the new racism.

Roger Clough, rcl...@verizon.net
8/31/2012
Leibniz would say, "If there's no God, we'd have to invent him so everything could function."

Bruno Marchal

Aug 31, 2012, 5:59:49 AM8/31/12
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
On 31 Aug 2012, at 10:45, Roger Clough wrote:

Hating the rich is the new racism.

No, as rich exists in all classes, and in all societies.

Hating the rich is either the very old jealousy, or sometimes the natural hate of bandits when the rich have become rich through lies and stealing, or when they use their fortune to get richer by dishonest means (like with prohibition, whose benefits in mostly reinjected in corrupting government to continue prohibition).

Bruno

Roger Clough, rcl...@verizon.net
8/31/2012
Leibniz would say, "If there's no God, we'd have to invent him so everything could function."

Roger Clough

Aug 31, 2012, 6:14:45 AM8/31/12
to everything-list
Hi Bruno Marchal

No, the rich only exist in the upper classes.
And only the upper classes in all societies.

Roger Clough, rcl...@verizon.net
8/31/2012
so that everything could function."
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-31, 05:59:49
Subject: Re: Hating the rich

Craig Weinberg

Aug 31, 2012, 1:24:34 PM8/31/12
On Friday, August 31, 2012 4:46:40 AM UTC-4, rclough wrote:

Hating the rich is the new racism.

Roger Clough

Sep 3, 2012, 8:11:00 AM9/3/12
to everything-list
Hi Craig Weinberg

It's OK as far as the left goes to hate the rich.
To them, nothing the left does is ever wrong.

Roger Clough, rcl...@verizon.net
9/3/2012
so that everything could function."
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-31, 13:24:34

Richard Ruquist

Sep 3, 2012, 8:26:53 AM9/3/12
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Roger,

On the contrare, science is a product of the left, more or less, whereas anti-evolution is a product of the right, more or less. Science is selfcorrecting and so the left is constantly re-examining its conclusions whether in science or sociology.

Whereas the right is unable to correct itself because it is based on the bible or some such tradition. So as a result, the right thinks it cannot be wrong because everything they believe is ordained by God.

The left has no such limitation, thank god.
Richard

John Mikes

Sep 3, 2012, 12:48:54 PM9/3/12
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Roger,
again I have to violate my decision NOT to participate in your diatribes...
This is a very nice 'politically correct' sounding variant of an untrue maxim.
People do not 'H A T E ' the rich: they may admire, envy, detest, fight against, disagree with, obey, lick-ass, etc., but not 'hate' - and you are wrong - with some ostentational ignorance - about the term, to call it a new (form of) racism.
Racism has a clandestine, but not ignorable false mental characteristic: to FEEL superior to the 'hated race'. No such thing in the ordinary people vs. the self-pretended superheroes of the super-rich.
They have circumstances available giving the idea of being above the law and above the rest of the (lower???) society.
There are exceptions, I am referring to the 'average plutocrat'.
They have wealthy upbringing with best education-potential, best health care and activities developing them better than most of the 'lower' class kids, - with ancestors leaving wealth (sometimes by killing off their competitors) and possessions to secure a wealthy start-up. Not comparable to a 'boondox-kid' or even a poor city-kid with malnutrition, educational deficiencies, gang-influence etc.
So - no matter how nice your maxim sounds: I reject it.

John M

Stephen P. King

Sep 3, 2012, 2:17:13 PM9/3/12
On 9/3/2012 8:26 AM, Richard Ruquist wrote:
Roger,

On the contrare, science is a product of the left, more or less, whereas anti-evolution is a product of the right, more or less. Science is selfcorrecting and so the left is constantly re-examining its conclusions whether in science or sociology.

Whereas the right is unable to correct itself because it is based on the bible or some such tradition. So as a result, the right thinks it cannot be wrong because everything they believe is ordained by God.

The left has no such limitation, thank god.
Richard
Dear Richard,

    As I read your post above I was filled with a large diversity of emotions and ruminated a long time over whether or not to respond to it. I think that you might appreciate a different point of view. I happened to have been raised by a family that was a prototypical "Bible Thumper" even to the point that my parents where missionaries to a foreign country where I learned via "home schooling". I discovered after many years that it is only a very small minority of people that actually live their lives under the belief that "everything is ordained by a person-like God". I also discovered, as I have continued my education, that there is another minority that believe that "everything is ordained" but not by some kind of person but instead by inhuman entities named "boundary conditions" and "initial conditions". What is the real difference other than naming conventions?

    Could you stop for a moment and think about the idea that nothing at all is "ordained" and that the concept is a fiction that we have habituated ourselves into believing merely because it gives us a comfortable illusion of control. Humans are strange creatures, if they can't control things themselves they will accept that someone else that is a friend controls things, but get all crazy angry at even the hint that someone else could control things to the disadvantage of the home team. Control freaks, we are such control freaks that we are entirely missing the point of it all. Laws of Nature are merely a concept we invented to explain things to ourselves, no one has the power to control all things. Power is a delusion.

    I challenge you to write about one example of a real person that is well known as a Leftist that does not believe that "everything is ordained" by something. You should spend a little time thinking hard about what you are saying here as it is a massive exercise in self-contradiction.

--
Onward!

Stephen

Richard Ruquist

Sep 3, 2012, 3:37:31 PM9/3/12
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Stephan,

You seem to agree with me but missed my point.
Scientists are willing to adjust their thinking when new information
is available.
Fundamentalists are not because all the important information is ancient.
You may argue correctly that not all scientists are left wing
and not all fundamentalists are right wing.
You may also argue correctly that important information
such as economics is not ancient.
But I claim that my broad brush characterizations
are more accurate that Roger's.
Richard

benjayk

Sep 3, 2012, 3:37:31 PM9/3/12
to everyth...@googlegroups.com

I couldn't agree more, Stephen. Great post.

The most common forms of left and right really are different forms of the
same phenomenon. Statism, authority (whether of the state or of God or of
science or of the market), thinking in terms of enemies and supporters. The
difference is merely in relatively superficial political or religious
issues. Opress the rich or opress the poor? Believe in God or in the Great
Law of the universe? Belief in "free" markets or believe in a "social"
state? Belief in forcing people to be "social" or belief in forcing people
to adhere to societal norms?

(Obviously there are also people that consider themselves left or right to
whom not all of that or nothing applies to. I am just referring to the
majority.)

benjayk

Stephen P. King

Sep 3, 2012, 11:16:17 PM9/3/12
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

    If Fundamentalist where setting federal policy then I would be in your camp. They do not, therefore the entire issue is suspicious. Why is a particular group being picked out for derision? This is the first step of Alinski's methodology to steer a population at the whim of a select few. Mass psychology is very interesting!

Craig Weinberg

Sep 4, 2012, 12:08:17 AM9/4/12
On Monday, September 3, 2012 8:11:54 AM UTC-4, rclough wrote:
Hi Craig Weinberg

It's OK as far as the left goes to hate the rich.
To them, nothing the left does is ever wrong.

Is there any ideology in which the members think that what they do is wrong? You can criticize the left about a lot of things, but that it might be blind to its own faults isn't really one of them. If anything, the left is does all of the hand-wringing while the right seems to capitalize on its ability to forget its failures and rationalize the successes of its opponents.

Craig

Roger Clough

Sep 4, 2012, 7:55:44 AM9/4/12
to everything-list
Hi Craig Weinberg

It's tribal thinking on both sides.
Still, although it's pointless,
I'll throw a spear occcasionally.

Roger Clough, rcl...@verizon.net
9/4/2012
so that everything could function."
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-04, 00:08:17
Subject: Re: Re: Hating the rich

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/-/pOSNemvIfnQJ.

Roger Clough

Sep 4, 2012, 7:55:49 AM9/4/12
to everything-list
Hi Richard Ruquist

The fundamentalists are wrong in thinking that the Bible is a science textbook.
The scientists are wrong in believing that they need to disprove a spiritual, nonscientific message.

Let science be science and the Bible be the Bible.

Roger Clough, rcl...@verizon.net
9/4/2012
so that everything could function."
Receiver: everything-list