Installing wnframework

Arun Emmanuel

Oct 15, 2012, 1:32:43 AM10/15/12
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I am planning to develop a small application and i prefer wnframework as many much needed functionality is already present.I  tried installing the framework as per the docs at https://github.com/webnotes/wnframework/ , But i ended up in lots of errors and i found that the documentation is some what older.. So could you please provide the latest docs for installing and setting up the wnframework so that i can build my application from scratch using wnframework. Can someone could guide me into posts , documentation which I could use so that i can develop my application

Thanks

Anand Doshi

Oct 15, 2012, 1:58:29 AM10/15/12
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arun,

Thanks for your interest in wnframework.

As you can see from the commit log, wnframework is in active development along with erpnext.
There are only 3 active contributors.
Hence, at present, we do not have any proper documentation.
You will need to study the code of erpnext to get a better idea of how to use the features of wnframework.

Also, the development of website module was done with erpnext in mind.
However, since it is a basic feature, we will soon make it a part of wnframework and change its license to MIT.
Until then, you will need to use the code in erpnext's website module to generate a web page (including the login page).

You can put your queries on this forum and we will try to answer them as well as we can.

Thanks,
Anand Doshi.

P.S. If you are interested, you can contribute to wnframework by writing the missing documentation :)

Arun Emmanuel

Oct 15, 2012, 2:34:04 AM10/15/12
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anand

Thanks for your prompt response
I installed erpnext and browsed the codes and all
But i want to install wnframework only so that i can build my application from scratch.
Iis it possible to build an application from scratch using your wnframework only without using the erpnext application??
If so could you please help me in installing the framework ??

Thanks

On 15-Oct-2012, at 11:02 AM, Arun Emmanuel <arune...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

I am planning to develop a small application and i prefer wnframework as many much needed functionality is already present.I  tried installing the framework as per the docs at https://github.com/webnotes/wnframework/ , But i ended up in lots of errors and i found that the documentation is some what older.. So could you please provide the latest docs for installing and setting up the wnframework so that i can build my application from scratch using wnframework. Can someone could guide me into posts , documentation which I could use so that i can develop my application

Thanks

Anand Doshi

Oct 15, 2012, 4:56:53 AM10/15/12
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arun,

Suppose you are planning to make an app called "some_app" you should start by making the following directory structure:
+ some_app
    + app/
    + lib/
    + public/
    + conf.py

The lib folder should be made by cloning wnframework repository as "lib".

The app folder will contain the modules which you plan to make for "some_app". For now, you will need to put the website folder of erpnext within your app folder, since that is what generates the login page.

The conf.py will hold the configuration of the app. Have a look at sample conf file in lib/conf/conf.py
Make sure you have specified a db_password in conf.py -- it will be used during installation.

The public folder can contain folders like files, backups as in the case of erpnext.

You will need to use lib/wnf.py -b to build minified wnframework javascript files and symlinks in the public folder, so that your app can use them.

Then you will need to use "lib/wnf.py --install db_name" to setup a basic database to get started with your app.
Then you should run "lib/wnf.py --sync_all" to load the website module's schema into your new database.

You will then need to do some apache config as mentioned in erpnext's install guide. Also, the prerequisites for erpnext are what you will need installed.

Then you can start your browser and go to the configured URL. You should get a login page.

Try to proceed till here.

We haven't made many other apps using wnframework, so this is going to take a lot of trial and error.

If you are uncomfortable in doing so, you should go with django framework, as its community is large and a lot of different types of projects have been made using it.

Thanks,
Anand.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/erpnext-developer-forum/-/shB2DfSgMDkJ.

Arun Emmanuel

Oct 15, 2012, 8:17:12 AM10/15/12
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anand

I will try this and update u accordingly
Thanks a lot