How to contribute

Gowrav

Dec 24, 2012, 11:21:08 AM12/24/12
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Some how I am able to start developing new module (New module was not in the Document >> new list in start but now suddenly it is there)

Now what is the best way to contribute. How I should structure the things and database.
Do module copying in folder location is itself enough (is some kind of scan mechanism there from schema file etc...)
How to transfer one module developed on development pc to the system in use ...

Rushabh Mehta

Dec 24, 2012, 11:28:50 AM12/24/12
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gowrav,

Thanks for your willingness to contribute, You can start by forking the application on github and pushing your updates on your fork -  The schema changes are pushed via the auto-generated txt files. if you think the feature is complete, you can drop in a mail / send a pull request and we will be happy to fit it in the product.

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

Gowrav

Dec 24, 2012, 11:58:59 AM12/24/12
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
I am developing on my Laptop, because I don't want my working system affected

only copying the module in folder will work or what steps I will have to take care

Q2) How can I remove my created doctypes (as in start it is very likely to be wrong) REMOVING tabels etc all ...

On 24-Dec-2012, at 9:51 PM, Gowrav <gowravvi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Some how I am able to start developing new module (New module was not in the Document >> new list in start but now suddenly it is there)

Now what is the best way to contribute. How I should structure the things and database.
Do module copying in folder location is itself enough (is some kind of scan mechanism there from schema file etc...)
How to transfer one module developed on development pc to the system in use ...

Rushabh Mehta

Dec 24, 2012, 12:19:24 PM12/24/12
On 24-Dec-2012, at 10:28 PM, Gowrav <gowravvi...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am developing on my Laptop, because I don't want my working system affected

only copying the module in folder will work or what steps I will have to take care

copying + committing changes should work - readup about using git first.

Q2) How can I remove my created doctypes (as in start it is very likely to be wrong) REMOVING tabels etc all ...

there is no shortcut for removing a doctype (too dangerous) - database is not pushed though so its not an issue.

[...]

MP

Mar 4, 2013, 5:21:17 AM3/4/13
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rushabh,

As you are aware I am new to git. I appreciate your patience with me in this regard. As instructed by you last week,

I have clone erpnext into "app" and wnframwork into "lib" using below commands:

git clone git://github.com/webnotes/erpnext.git app

git clone git://github.com/webnotes/wnframework.git into lib

I have modified the file /app/hr/doctype/leave_application/leave_application.py file to allow user to add leave application which may results in negative leave balance. I have tested it locally and it is working fine. I have also committed this changes using below command:

git add leave_application.py

git commit

I have couple of questions:

1. How will you know that I have changed this particular file?

2. How will you get access to my version of this file?

Kind regards,

Mayur Patel

Rushabh Mehta

Mar 4, 2013, 5:57:50 AM3/4/13
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Mayur,

Thanks for contributing!

1. You need to "push" this file to your remote github fork.
2. Send us a Pull Request:

Hope this helps.

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

MP

Mar 4, 2013, 6:13:07 AM3/4/13
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rushabh for the link. The crucial piece of information is to create my own fork of ERPNext repository. Based on your instruction i created the clone of ERPNext repository and not the forl. I will do that first. Once I am done I will send you a pull request. I also have question on how to make my changes configurable so other user of ERPNext are not affected. We can look at that later.

Mayur