Timeline for EPx Software

Alex Chapin

Nov 21, 2012, 1:50:31 PM11/21/12
to epx-...@googlegroups.com
What's the status of EPx? I'm interested in testing it out.

Additionally, how will EPx relate to Simergy? Should these efforts be combined into one? Anyone else think that Openstudio and Simergy are basically competing against each other? Why can't there be one product the includes the best features of all of the individual free/open source products out there?

I really hope that the road blocks to adopting Energyplus are dealt with soon so that energy modeling industry can start to benefit from all of the improvements found in Energyplus over older engines.

Peter Ellis

Nov 26, 2012, 2:22:15 PM11/26/12
to epx-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your interest!  EPx is still in the early stages.  So far most of the effort has been focused on getting the development effort off the ground.  We do not have an end-user installation available for testing yet.  When we do have an installation ready, you can be sure we will announce it here.

EPx is strictly a simulation engine (same as EnergyPlus).  Simergy is a graphical user interface that uses EnergyPlus as the simulation engine.  Simergy could optionally use the EPx engine, but I don't see any obvious reasons for combining the efforts...they are two different things.

OpenStudio vs. Simergy is a bit off-topic for this group.  You might want to raise that question on the EnergyPlus Yahoo! group.

Thanks,

Alex Chapin

Nov 26, 2012, 2:39:05 PM11/26/12
to epx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry about misinterpreting EPx to be a GUI. For some reason, when I read the goals of EPx and saw "open-source EPx simulation engine suitable for commercial-grade energy modeling" my mind latched onto suitable for commercial-grade energy modeling and thought EPx was going to be an easy to use GUI for EnergyPlus, not a forked version of the simulation engine. Thanks also for the suggestion to redirect my other questions to the Energyplus group, I appreciate the heads up.

Thanks,
Alex

Dave Cooper

Feb 24, 2013, 1:16:17 PM2/24/13
to epx-...@googlegroups.com

Tried to extract the zip, What type of file is it Zarball etc.

To Alex, I will get this up and running, would love to make a distro for Energy use.

Dave

Neal Kruis

Mar 11, 2013, 5:47:34 PM3/11/13
to epx-...@googlegroups.com
Dave and Alex,

We are working on instructions on how to extract and build EnergyPlus/EPx source code. We will also eventually provide distributions and post them to the Source Forge site.

Neal

Dave Cooper

Mar 11, 2013, 6:24:11 PM3/11/13
to epx-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

Looks like it is in FORTRAN?

Neal Kruis

Mar 11, 2013, 6:31:15 PM3/11/13
to epx-...@googlegroups.com
Correct. EnergyPlus/EPx is all written in Fortran.