Tobii Extension and Windows 8

Alison T Miller Singley

Nov 21, 2012, 4:00:00 PM11/21/12
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
I have an experiment that was built in EPrime 2.0.8 and runs on a Tobii eyetracker just fine using a Window 7 computer (I don't know the 32/64 bit right now). However, I just got a new laptop (Windows 8, 64-bit) and am now receiving an EPrime error about TETConnect. You can bypass the error message and it runs the first part of the experiment, until it needs to engage the Tobii and then it shuts down.

Any ideas whether this is a Windows 8 issue or a 64-bit issue? One I can fix by installing a different OS; I don't know how to fix the 64-bit issue if that's the cause.

Thank you!
Alison

Peter Quain

Nov 21, 2012, 4:05:27 PM11/21/12
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

Alison T Miller Singley

Nov 26, 2012, 2:09:19 PM11/26/12
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Peter - do you mind if I ask a follow-up?
I should have mentioned that I'm running EPrime in compatibility mode with XP (using the Windows setting for the program). It does allow the program to run, up until the Tobii is required. So perhaps it's some interaction effect?

Peter Quain

Nov 26, 2012, 3:07:43 PM11/26/12
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

Alison, I just looked at the PST info on e-prime OS compatibility, the link I posted. I don't know about Tobii issues. If you can get XP drivers for your new laptop then just format and then instal XP. If no XP drivers, then maybe trade with a colleague the new laptop for an older one with XP?

Alison T Miller Singley

Nov 26, 2012, 8:11:52 PM11/26/12
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Got it, thanks

Sean Mullen

Nov 26, 2012, 8:49:33 PM11/26/12
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
So EP doesn't work on Win 7?

Peter Quain

Nov 26, 2012, 8:54:47 PM11/26/12
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

yes it is supposed to - I'm just stuck in xp world (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) and didn't think much when replying to Alison ... more likely to find win7 drivers, probably

Alison T Miller Singley

Nov 27, 2012, 5:58:38 PM11/27/12
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Actually, in attempting to install EP 2.0.8 on a Windows 7 computer, it told me it's NOT compatible with Windows 7. HOWEVER it does seem to run.
If it gives you trouble, though, the compatibility mode is a neat trick: find the program settings from the Desktop or control panel (I forget exactly where I found it - Windows8 allows you to search for it) and go to the Compatibility tab.

Michiel Sovijarvi-Spape

Dec 4, 2012, 7:46:49 AM12/4/12
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

As far as I know:

* the latest version of EP2 is release 10;

* it 'should' be compatible. 'Ish?

* as long as it's windows 7 x86 version you're talking about. I can confirm that various features, most annoyingly the serial port communication, does not work in x64 windows. You can find out which version of windows is running by going to start>control panel>system and under System Type. Of course, you could always install x86 windows on a x64 processor and as long as you're not handling large RAM, it should be fine.

Best,

Michiel

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/e-prime/-/DKszt6nZb3gJ.