Looking for a job in the Arctic Circle

Kevin Renskers

Sep 30, 2011, 7:35:30 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am a Senior Python/Django programmer from The Netherlands, and I am on a quest to move to the Arctic Circle. Right now my focus is on Reykjavik in Iceland and Tromsø in Norway. It's quite hard to find jobs in these regions, and it's even harder because I don't have a network of people I know in the Arctic.

I know it's a long shot, but I am hoping someone on this group knows someone else, and they work at a company that could use a programmer, something like that :)

My linkedin account with my skills and experience: http://nl.linkedin.com/in/kevinrenskers
My twitter account where I write about my quest: http://www.twitter.com/movetoarctic

I also do Javascript and iPhone/Mac development, and have 9 years of experience in PHP.

Thanks!

Kevin

Daniel Roseman

Sep 30, 2011, 8:35:07 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Reykjavik is well south of the Arctic Circle - in fact all of Iceland (except for a small offshore island, apparently) is below the circle.
--
DR.

Yves S. Garret

Sep 30, 2011, 8:37:20 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
http://www.ccpgames.com/en/jobs

Kevin Renskers

Sep 30, 2011, 8:39:25 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Ha, yeah I know that Iceland is not in the Arctic Circle, strictly speaking. Maybe I should've said the Arctic Circle region.

spa...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2011, 8:44:45 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
http://www.arcticstartup.com/

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Kevin Renskers <in...@bolhoed.net> wrote:
Ha, yeah I know that Iceland is not in the Arctic Circle, strictly speaking. Maybe I should've said the Arctic Circle region.

http://spawgi.wordpress.com
We can do it and do it better.

Kevin Renskers

Sep 30, 2011, 8:47:04 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
CCP actually wanted me for their UI Programmer position. Did the first round of interviews, made a usability report for them, all was well. And then they decided that they don't really need a UI Programmer after all :(

Their other positions are not really a great match for me, sadly. Too much C++, DirectX, GPU stuff, etc.

Kevin Renskers

Sep 30, 2011, 8:48:59 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks!

spa...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2011, 8:48:49 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Have you checked hdmessaging.com?

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Kevin Renskers <in...@bolhoed.net> wrote:
CCP actually wanted me for their UI Programmer position. Did the first round of interviews, made a usability report for them, all was well. And then they decided that they don't really need a UI Programmer after all :(

Their other positions are not really a great match for me, sadly. Too much C++, DirectX, GPU stuff, etc.

Yves S. Garret

Sep 30, 2011, 8:49:27 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Whatever, their loss :-)

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Kevin Renskers <in...@bolhoed.net> wrote:
CCP actually wanted me for their UI Programmer position. Did the first round of interviews, made a usability report for them, all was well. And then they decided that they don't really need a UI Programmer after all :(

Their other positions are not really a great match for me, sadly. Too much C++, DirectX, GPU stuff, etc.

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]

Sep 30, 2011, 8:51:28 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hmm - CCP would have been a very good company to get in with :/

I'm surprised you have not found any other decent positions in Nederland tbh.

BoxedIce (owners of ServerDensity) are always on the look out for new developers, they offer remote working, and they already have staff in Nederland.

Hope this helps.

Cal

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Kevin Renskers <in...@bolhoed.net> wrote:
CCP actually wanted me for their UI Programmer position. Did the first round of interviews, made a usability report for them, all was well. And then they decided that they don't really need a UI Programmer after all :(

Their other positions are not really a great match for me, sadly. Too much C++, DirectX, GPU stuff, etc.

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]

Sep 30, 2011, 8:52:42 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

Kevin Renskers

Sep 30, 2011, 8:55:43 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Finding a position in The Netherlands would be SUPER easy. The problem is that I want to immigrate to another country :) Remote working from The Netherlands is not what I am looking for.

Thomas Weholt

Sep 30, 2011, 8:59:08 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Ok, this is of-topic, but why immigrate from The Netherlands and why
for the Love of All that's Holy would you move to the coldest place on
earth? I live in Norway and just don't understand this. And sorry, I
am aware this is not django related.

Thomas

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-users/-/_OtQN-CLLLEJ.

> django-users...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at

Mvh/Best regards,
Thomas Weholt
http://www.weholt.org

Kevin Renskers

Sep 30, 2011, 9:27:30 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com, 20...@weholt.org
I don't think many people will ever understand why I'd want to move to the Arctic region. But, I really don't understand how many people would like to live in Spain, France or Italy. Me, I like long, cold winters with lots of snow. I don't like hot summers. I'm just weird I guess :)

Reykjavik and Tromsø are not that cold by the way. Reykjavik has an average low of minus 3 in january, Tromsø minus 7.

Yves S. Garret

Sep 30, 2011, 9:43:42 AM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
You got your reasons.  That's alright.

Have you looked into Greenland?  How about doing a self-employed gig where you do coding for other based on contracts and orders?

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Kevin Renskers <in...@bolhoed.net> wrote:
I don't think many people will ever understand why I'd want to move to the Arctic region. But, I really don't understand how many people would like to live in Spain, France or Italy. Me, I like long, cold winters with lots of snow. I don't like hot summers. I'm just weird I guess :)

Reykjavik and Tromsø are not that cold by the way. Reykjavik has an average low of minus 3 in january, Tromsø minus 7.

serek

Sep 30, 2011, 4:20:37 PM9/30/11
to Django users
I understand you quite well.
From the same reason I have moved to Copenhagen.
Not so cold as I expected, but nice.

If you do not find anything in Reykjavik or Tromsø you can try
http://www.xstream.dk/company/jobs
It is rather PHP job(if we get more python people I hope we switch;)
Just send CV do not bother if there is open position.

Good luck

Brett Epps

Sep 30, 2011, 4:39:42 PM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com, 20...@weholt.org
Might be too warm or too far south for you, but consider Wisconsin.  We get plenty of snow here.

Brett

andres....@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2011, 4:53:06 PM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com, 20...@weholt.org
You can also go to the (literal) polar extreme and consider something in Antarctica or Tierra del Fuego, in Chile or Argentina. There are many countries that need qualified technical staff for their research/military bases in Antarctica. As for Chile and Argentina, both require highly qualified staff, immigration is dead easy, and the quality of life in the southernmos extremes is actually very high, and slighty cheaper than Europe.

Enviado desde mi BlackBerry de Movistar (http://www.movistar.com.ar)

From: Brett Epps <Brett...@quest.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:39:42 +0000
Subject: Re: Looking for a job in the Arctic Circle

From: Kevin Renskers <in...@bolhoed.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 06:27:30 -0700
To: <django...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: <20...@weholt.org>

I don't think many people will ever understand why I'd want to move to the Arctic region. But, I really don't understand how many people would like to live in Spain, France or Italy. Me, I like long, cold winters with lots of snow. I don't like hot summers. I'm just weird I guess :)

Reykjavik and Tromsø are not that cold by the way. Reykjavik has an average low of minus 3 in january, Tromsø minus 7.

Kevin Renskers

Sep 30, 2011, 5:04:18 PM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com, 20...@weholt.org
Thanks for the suggestion, but the US is not really an option, social- and economic security wise and also the distance back to the Netherlands. I'd like to be able to afford a flight back to friends and family more then once or twice a year :)

Pretty much the same goes for Chile or Argentina. It's just too far away, and a bit too extreme a change for me.

Also, I'm happy to report that I got two serious job offers by mail, both for Python/Javascript jobs in Reykjavik. Starting my own company up north, as someone suggested, is definitely plan b. I would prefer a stable income though, so I hope these jobs turn out to be good options.

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]

Sep 30, 2011, 5:22:33 PM9/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com, 20...@weholt.org
Swap lifes with me in the UK - seriously, I'd give anything to live in Nederland - you are so lucky!