Converting Django app into a Desktop app

Loai Ghoraba

Dec 18, 2012, 11:06:19 AM12/18/12
to django...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I am very comfortable with Django, and I was wondering about whether there is some way to convert a Django web app into a Desktop app (may be not 100%), so that I can distribute it to users. May be wrapping it in a light web server "if there is something like this".

Thanks

Jonas Geiregat

Dec 18, 2012, 1:43:27 PM12/18/12
to django...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I am very comfortable with Django, and I was wondering about whether there is some way to convert a Django web app into a Desktop app (may be not 100%), so that I can distribute it to users. May be wrapping it in a light web server "if there is something like this".

ache...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2012, 1:50:44 PM12/18/12
to django...@googlegroups.com, django...@googlegroups.com
Use a module like tastiepy develop your desktop client in your preferred language and have it communicate to django via REST.

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Cogdon

Dec 18, 2012, 2:23:46 PM12/18/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
I think what Loai is asking for is a way to "wrap up" the python/django application, along with a light-weight webserver (not as light-weight as "runserver" though), so it looks like a stand-alone application... apart from needing to run a web browser to connect to it.

I, too, am very interested in this.

Just doing some cursory poking around, here's some starting points:

These handle turning the python program into a stand-alone executable. It doesn't solve the web-server issue, though. There are a ton of choices there (eg: gunicorn, twisted, tornado, web.py) but I have no opinion on which one is going to both "freeze" well, serve static files well, and work well with Django

Loai Ghoraba

Dec 18, 2012, 2:27:54 PM12/18/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
@ all thanks for your responses, I will try to investigate them

@Chris: you got me right :) I can use runserver, but it would be too light, or make the client install and configure apache (which is not a good idea if the client is a normal user, not a programmer).

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Chris Cogdon <ch...@cogdon.org> wrote:
I think what Loai is asking for is a way to "wrap up" the python/django application, along with a light-weight webserver (not as light-weight as "runserver" though), so it looks like a stand-alone application... apart from needing to run a web browser to connect to it.
eNo module named _tkinter, please install the python-tk package

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:06:19 AM UTC-8, Loai Ghoraba wrote:

Hi

I am very comfortable with Django, and I was wondering about whether there is some way to convert a Django web app into a Desktop app (may be not 100%), so that I can distribute it to users. May be wrapping it in a light web server "if there is something like this".

Thanks

peter

Dec 18, 2012, 2:43:56 PM12/18/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
You can use xampp. Create a automatic installer that install xampp and django with your app.
Just like Kordi EDMS. http://www.kordil.net/.

Chris Cogdon

Dec 18, 2012, 3:18:07 PM12/18/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
No Python included with xampp... this makes me sad ;_;

peter

Dec 18, 2012, 3:14:59 PM12/18/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
Don't realy mathers is xampp comes or not with python, you just need to add wsgi module to xampp. and then configure your app to run from
xampp.

peter

Dec 18, 2012, 3:24:35 PM12/18/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 12/18/2012 05:18 PM, Chris Cogdon wrote:
I'm not read the hole article, but the author say 'It works'.

http://www.leonardaustin.com/technical/install-python-and-django-with-xampp-on-windows-7

Is run in windows definitely is going to run on unix :)

Chris Cogdon

Dec 18, 2012, 4:39:21 PM12/18/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I'd prefer something that didn't require packaging up additional programs (xampp and python, in this example).

It should be _perfectly possible_ to find a native-python moderate performance webserver, then wrap up that, django, the application and the python interpreter into a single package.

Loai Ghoraba

Dec 19, 2012, 3:31:27 PM12/19/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
@all thanks a lot, I will try your suggestions, may be mixing them :)

Gladson Simplício Brito

Dec 19, 2012, 12:48:09 AM12/19/12
to django...@googlegroups.com

Filip Wasilewski

Dec 20, 2012, 5:55:54 PM12/20/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:06:19 PM UTC+1, Loai Ghoraba wrote:

Hi

I am very comfortable with Django, and I was wondering about whether there is some way to convert a Django web app into a Desktop app (may be not 100%), so that I can distribute it to users. May be wrapping it in a light web server "if there is something like this".

I've been recently going through the process of distributing Django web application with binary dependencies (NumPy/SciPy) as an one-click executable. I have evaluated several solutions and the most effective was creating a single-file binary package using PyInstaller (pyinstaller.org, development version with some modifications for proper dependency discovery). As for the web server I went with the pure-Python CherryPy server (cherrypy.org). See https://gist.github.com/4349257 for sample server script.

Filip

Mike Dewhirst

Dec 20, 2012, 6:37:19 PM12/20/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
See also https://us.pycon.org/2012/schedule/presentation/393/ by Ryan
Kelly and his 'esky' package for safely updating distributed apps. There
is a link to that and other items in the above pycon talk.

Mike
> --
> Groups "Django users" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-users/-/7umVeAxLLBAJ.

Loai Ghoraba

Dec 21, 2012, 1:20:31 AM12/21/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
@Filib: thanks a lot, seems that is what I will need exactly :)

For more options, visit this group at

Loai Ghoraba

Mar 1, 2013, 12:13:07 PM3/1/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
actually I were busy in some other stuff lately, so I didn't try any :) plus I found that even if I tried then it will be useless to my needs, sorry :)

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Kevin London <ke...@lightiron.com> wrote:
@Loai, how did Pyinstaller work out for you? Is that the route you took?

For more options, visit this group at

This e-mail is the property of LightIron Digital LLC. It is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distribution or copying of this e-mail, or the information contained herein, to anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

Kevin London

Mar 1, 2013, 12:55:35 PM3/1/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Oh okay, interesting. Thank you for following up. I'm going down the Pyinstaller route, I think. Support for Django in Pyinstaller is so recent that I'm hitting a number of snags, so I might need to go py2app if it doesn't pan out yet. Thanks to everyone so far for their contributions, this has been a very helpful thread in working through the distributing problem.

Kevin London
Light Iron
6381 De Longpre Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Loai Ghoraba

Mar 6, 2013, 3:30:46 AM3/6/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
thanks a lot, I will look at them if I have time :)

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 3:00 AM, Czarek Tomczak <czarek....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Loai,

Have a look at CEF Python that embeds Chrome browser:
You will need to run a web server to convert it into a desktop application, have a look
at CefBottleDesktop that embeds CEF and runs a python web server along with
bottle.py framework.

Also have a look at Python Desktop that embeds Internet Explorer browser and

I am the author of both projects.

Cheers,
Czarek.

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:06:19 AM UTC-8, Loai Ghoraba wrote:

Kevin London

Mar 6, 2013, 1:02:08 PM3/6/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Just to follow up on this, I wound up using py2app, although it made things considerably more complicated. I made a Github repo during testing which can be found here. It's incomplete as I moved from testing into using py2app on the intended application, but it should at least provide some clues.

Kevin London
Light Iron
6381 De Longpre Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90028