i need to place my django site on a server, i dont know how to do it! help!!!

doniyor

May 10, 2012, 8:23:11 AM5/10/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

i need a small help: i have a django site, which is ready to test. now i talked to a hosting service, they had only php and mysql supporting server, but not django. they gave me a virtual server, where i can install django and put my site there. now i am stuck. i dont know how to install django on server and which python modules to install that run my site and where to install. is there any list of steps to do this kind of job? it would be very helpful. i just dont find a clue where to start. what i understand is:
apache is webserver and it is there on server. so i need some module that supports python, right? i decided for mod_wsgi. i dont know why i decided for this. before that i installed easy_install then i installed all python packages including django. now when i log in to server thru Putty including switching to root, i land to: domainname: /www/vhtdocs/domainname # and this folder has some html files of my old site. they just copied from old server to this virtual one. now the question is: is it the place where i can just upload my whole django-site?

i would be very thanksful for some instructions..

thanks thanks.

Doni

azizmb.in

May 10, 2012, 8:29:55 AM5/10/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
Have you looked at the django docs on installing django?

- Aziz M. Bookwala

kenneth gonsalves

May 10, 2012, 8:33:16 AM5/10/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 05:23 -0700, doniyor wrote:
> i need a small help: i have a django site, which is ready to test. now
> talked to a hosting service, they had only php and mysql supporting
> server,
> but not django. they gave me a virtual server, where i can install
> django
> and put my site there. now i am stuck. i dont know how to install
> django on
> server

how did you install your site on your development machine (what os do
you have and what os in there on the vps?)
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves

eihli

May 10, 2012, 10:13:05 AM5/10/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
This won't be a complete list but it's what I can remember off the top of my head.
Things to do:
Install Python
Install Django
Install database software (I chose Postgres. I guess you don't need this if you are using SQLite3).
Create database and users and assign permissions.
Install mod_wsgi.
Edit your apache httpd.conf file to use mod_wsgi: http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/QuickConfigurationGuide
If you are using apache to serve static html files (like your .css or image files) then you'll need to add an Alias to your apache config. Something like: Alias /myproject/static/ /var/www/djangoapps/myproject/media/static

Andre Terra

May 10, 2012, 10:53:04 AM5/10/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
Or just deploy on heroku

doniyor

May 10, 2012, 2:07:03 PM5/10/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
many thanks eihli, i will follow the steps you gave.. cool, i let you know about how it worked..

later

Babatunde Akinyanmi

May 11, 2012, 1:25:20 AM5/11/12
to django...@googlegroups.com