Change of Address

Cathal Garvey

Jan 18, 2013, 5:30:06 PM1/18/13
to diybio
Hey all,
Sorry to spam for something so minor, but I'm beginning the long process of migrating to a new email address, so I'll be unsubscribing this address from the list effective immediately.
You can reach me (and I'm now subscribed to this list) at cathal...@cathalgarvey.me
(BTW, it's not narcissism, it's in order to have my email hosted in Iceland where Free Speech is getting better, not worse.)
Back to biotech!
Cathal

--
Please note my new email address: cathal...@cathalgarvey.me
http://www.indiebiotech.com

Jeswin

Jan 18, 2013, 10:28:55 PM1/18/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
+1 on the name. Makes for an interesting business card.
Guy: "Why do you have your name written twice on your email?"
Cathal: "Umm...Free speech?"
> --
> "DIYbio" group.
> diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.

Cathal Garvey

Jan 19, 2013, 8:50:51 AM1/19/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I will not rest until my name is synonymous with free speech! :P

osazuwa

Jan 19, 2013, 10:28:04 PM1/19/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com, cathal...@cathalgarvey.me
Was the transition difficult?  You were using Gmail, is it difficult to wean yourself off it?  This seems like a tough change to make, I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

Cathal Garvey

Jan 20, 2013, 3:12:54 PM1/20/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
There are sacrifices in a no-Google way of life, yes. If you don't have
your own site where you can host webapps to replace "lost" Google
functions, then you'll have to pick a new master, and most competitors
are similarly situated on US soil (this mightn't be a concern to you, of
course; US citizens in particular still have a handful of rights to
their data left, whereas EU citizens aren't considered people at all).

For example, I currently lack an Exchange account with which to do
Calendar synchronisation; I need to personally learn more about this to
find or make a system I can use that'll work nicely. Bonus points if
it'll work with other people's calendars who happen to be hosted on
Google et al.

Overall though, it's not that difficult to do email migration; just set
up a global forward from the old account to the new one, and start
giving people your new one/replying from the new one. Eventually, when
almost everyone knows your new email, set up a "holiday away" message on
the old account asking people to stop using it entirely.

My biggest problem this time around was figuring out how to do SSL/TLS
authentication on my new email server; poorly documented for my hosting
company, but working now. Without SSL or TLS, my login details and any
emails sent or received would have been exchanged between me and my
server without any sort of encryption, making privacy and security a
joke. Somewhat like Yahoo Mail. ;)