(transfected) Insect cell -> entire organism

Mega

Jul 29, 2012, 8:25:28 AM7/29/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I read that it would be quite easy to add genes to insect cells using the piggyBac transposon. Frequently used for recombinant protein expression in insect cell lines.
So I was wondering how you could get an insect out of those cells. Do you have to transfect insect sperm? Insects are not plants, so you probably can't use any cell for reproducing an entire organism?

Nathan McCorkle

Jul 30, 2012, 9:46:04 AM7/30/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
yes you want to hit the germline to get expression in the whole
organism (or at least to get the new DNA in the whole organism, you
may add DNA that only expresses in one body area)

theoretically you could also do somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT)
from a modified cell to an embryo
> --

Nathan McCorkle
Rochester Institute of Technology
College of Science, Biotechnology/Bioinformatics

Andreas Sturm

Jul 30, 2012, 10:56:43 AM7/30/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
>theoretically you could also do somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT)
>from a modified cell to an embryo

Of course, but this seems even more complicated ;)

Cathal Garvey

Jul 31, 2012, 6:47:10 AM7/31/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Not so much complicated as extremely difficult. You need a
micromanipulator and microneedle for one thing, and then you need the
manual skill to use one effectively. Finally, you need lots and lots of
insect ova! :)

This is routine for making transgenic fruit flies, for example. I was
interested in trying it with sea monkies (Artemia salina) for a while
until I discovered how hard it is to get microneedles/micromanipulators.
I'm leaving it for later!
--
www.indiebiotech.com
twitter.com/onetruecathal

Andreas Sturm

Jul 31, 2012, 11:52:39 AM7/31/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Microinjection?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Bfc1GPWpE

Looks cool... But, it will be hard to build it in a diy way...