2017-09 Dataverse Community News

Philip Durbin

Sep 28, 2017, 4:11:20 PM9/28/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Here's what's top of mind for September 2107:

* Dataverse 4.8 was released (AWS S3 Support and Large Data Upload Integration): https://dataverse.org/blog/dataverse-48-release
* Vyacheslav Tikhonov at DANS hosted a two day workshop on installing and running Dataverse: https://twitter.com/4ScienceIT/status/910585369552457728
* Lisa Goddard and Amber Leahey presented on Dataverse in a workshop at Portage Day / RDA: https://twitter.com/Grampa_Data/status/909830608247017474 and https://www.rd-alliance.org/portage-supported-research-data-management-platforms-rda-10th-plenary-collocated-event
* Merce Crosas gave a talk called "Data Sharing for Better Science and Better Health" at XVII Congreso SESPAS: https://scholar.harvard.edu/mercecrosas/presentations/data-sharing-better-science-and-better-health
* Gustavo Durand gave a talk called "Dataverse, Journals, and Sensitive Data" at the pre-APSA DataPass workshop: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1pdc6dxM9dn5uRThUZNHgtgNOxYiFfYTz-VNrUAGN0Pc/edit#slide=id.p
* Gustavo Durand gave a talk called "Securing Dataverse with an Adapted Command Design Pattern" at SecDev 2017: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1SeYG6Env1nrf3tJvHqCkw8_4CGdLjadfUSrOc-lOI3I/edit?usp=sharing
* The 2017-09-12 Dataverse Community Call was about the EZID transition, upgrading to Dataverse 4.7.1, APIs and forks: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/Njy9b-jVJ9Q/Sy4IAY7-BwAJ
* The 2017-09-26 Dataverse Community Call was about embedding video, an author affiliation bug, robots.txt, harvesting, and customization: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/AOJXH3ljaIk/_fwkcHTIAwAJ
* A new tool called Linked Open Research Cloud (LORC) was announced and seems similar to SHARE: https://github.com/linkedresearch/linkedresearch.org/issues/17

This is the last post of Dataverse Community News unless the community feels strongly about it continuing. It's an experiment that I've run for a full twelve months now and I'm not sure that I'm achieving my goal of getting information out to the community because I don't tend to get any feedback on these posts. That is, I'm not sure if anyone is reading this. :)  If you would like the Dataverse Community News to continue, please reply to this email or leave a comment at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lbCmuFOW6rDFlJTLt2QtzT2Nvc-xmRpsgqAxqohg-Pc/edit?usp=sharing

That said, as usual, if you have any news to add or comments to make, please simply reply to this email!

Thanks!

Phil

p.s. If you would like to add to next month's community news update, please leave comments at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D-9HoMR9Dj9ShA7QRcmaqd1NaZal_jl21ZKzQtQ-jtQ/edit?usp=sharing

For last month's Dataverse Community News, please see https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/RjJjN1zFQFA/Hy0p3cSgAQAJ

For more background on these Dataverse Community News posts, please check out the README at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PtUHfBnu1gnjpZ1Uu7sEEWjW9QWAK2S9K62DbPaPHCQ/edit?usp=sharing

Sebastian Karcher

Sep 28, 2017, 4:16:17 PM9/28/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Phil.
I always read these and like the quick overview, but I completely understand if putting it together is too time consuming.

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Mercè Crosas

Sep 28, 2017, 4:21:32 PM9/28/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I enjoy these monthly summaries too. But whatever works, I understand.

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Courtney Mumma

Sep 28, 2017, 4:33:27 PM9/28/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

I've found these a useful grouping of materials to update myself and my TDR Institutional liaisons.
Thanks for all the work you put into them, even if this is to be the last.

Courtney, TDL

Vyacheslav Tikhonov

Sep 29, 2017, 8:22:51 AM9/29/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Phil,

Thank you for all efforts you've put in Community News, it's always very useful.

There is our program and all assignments for Dataverse workshop at DANS, probably it can be useful for someone:

Best,
Vyacheslav (Slava) Tykhonov
Senior Data Scientist (DANS)

Amber Leahey