Dataverse Community Call Tomorrow 9/12

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Sep 11, 2017, 10:57:47 AM9/11/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

We'll have our usual call at Noon EDT tomorrow. Please join us! The agenda is:
For call in options and other information, please visit the community calls page here:

Thanks,

Danny and the Dataverse Team

Philip Durbin

Sep 12, 2017, 4:21:18 PM9/12/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Nice call. Thanks, Sherry, Pete, and Ryan for calling in. Here are the notes I took at https://docs.google.com/document/d/13S3Bgq-LX0ScRVaPdCLjUdvqGIOl-oesHuUfCAAKPIM/edit?usp=sharing

2017-09-12 Dataverse Community Call

Agenda

* Release Updates
* EZID Transition
* Community Questions

Attendees

* Danny Brooke (IQSS)
* Sherry Lake (UVA)
* Pete Meyer (HMS)
* Ryan Steans (TDL)
* Phil Durbin (IQSS)
* Chris Perry (IQSS)
* Tania Schlatter (IQSS)

Notes

* Release Updates
   * The roadmap ( https://dataverse.org/goals-roadmap-and-releases ) has 4.8 and 4.9, both scheduled for this quarter, which ends at the end of september. These releases may come out together.
   * One performance issue in 4.8: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4091
   * 4.9 has been prioritized because of grant requirements.
   * (Sherry) Will it be documented?
      * (Danny) Yes but large data mode is either/or.
   * (Danny) Any questions about S3?
      * (Ryan) I'm surprised to hear I'm the only one with the 2 GB limitation ( https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4125 ).
      * (Pete) I haven't looked into the details but maybe it's an old filesystem you're using.
      * (Ryan) We'll be doing some re-architecting when we upgrade to 4.8/4.9. Not sure how high of a limit we want.
* EZID Transition
   * https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dataverse-community/YB9NfL7S6t8
   * (Danny) Can you restate your question about reserving DOIs?
   * (Sherry) DataCite won't have a website for reserving DOIs right away, which EZID has. If there's no web interface, how can Dataverse reserve DOIs from DataCite?
   * (Danny) If you have multiple applications using the same namespace, you could set a prefix for the DOIs you are minting.
   * (Sherry) Namespace or shoulder? Example UVA DOI: doi:10.18130/V3/KEVCF8 ("V3") is a shoulder.
   * (Pete) Is anyone using DataCite for DOIs in production?
      * (Phil) https://dataverse.no is.
* Community Questions
   * (Sherry) UVa upgraded a test server to 4.7.1. Interested in using APIs.
   * (Ryan) We upgraded production to 4.7.1 and may have questions about miniverse ( https://github.com/IQSS/miniverse ).
      * (Phil) I noticed there are still a few changes in your fork in the header https://dataverse.tdl.org
      * (Ryan) Yes, there are a few changes we're still applying locally but we'd like to stop using a fork some day.