Do you want to develop Dataverse on Windows or can you speak for someone who does?

Philip Durbin

Jun 20, 2017, 6:15:06 PM6/20/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Something we were painfully reminded of during the dev workshop* and hackathon is that it's quite difficult to get a Dataverse development environment working on a Windows. (Pro tip: for now, use Vagrant.)

Before we pour a ton of effort into supporting Windows developers (time that could be spent working on features and bug fixes), I'd like to know how much demand there is.

Do you want to develop Dataverse on Windows or can you speak for someone who does? Please let me know and I'll count how many people are interested and share the results.

Thanks!

Phil

Mike Mormando

Jun 21, 2017, 10:08:16 AM6/21/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
I'd like very much to work on Windows, a lot of people are quite religious about it, I'm not one of them, but all I own are Windows machines, I do both Java and C#, and I play a game from time to time.
A lot of the developers I know would be lost without Visual Studio. I know it can be had on the Mac now, but it isn't really the same from what the few I know that have tried it have told me.
I'll look up Vagrant.
Thanks
Mike

Philip Durbin

Jun 28, 2017, 8:33:32 PM6/28/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for your reply! You were the only person to reply to this thread but there were several Windows laptops at the hackathon.

Quite commonly we hear that people use Intellij but I can understand the preference for Visual Studio on Windows. I've heard good things about the new Visual Studio Code IDE but I haven't tried it myself. For our part, the development team at IQSS has standardized on Netbeans because it's free of cost and runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. However you can get the code in a pull request is fine. :)

We have a bit of documentation on Vagrant here but I'm sure it could be improved: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.7/installation/prep.html#vagrant-for-testing-only

I have a bit of a follow up question for you and any other developers on Windows who would like to chime in. I'd like to know which of the following statements you agree with the most:

- I want to install all the required software (Glassfish Postgres, Solr, etc.) directly on my Windows development computer.
- I want to install Vagrant and VirtualBox on my Windows development computer and have all the required required software (Glassfish Postgres, Solr, etc.) contained within a Vagrant virtual machine.
- I want to install Docker on my Windows development computer and have all the required required software (Glassfish Postgres, Solr, etc.) contained within a Docker image.

If a different statement applies better, that's fine!

Thanks!

Phil

Philip Durbin

Sep 27, 2017, 3:23:40 PM9/27/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike, Akio and other developers on Windows, I'm writing to announce that I've been hacking on a new Docker-based dev environment option in pull request #4168 and just left a note about it at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3927

Please hit me up if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Phil

Philip Durbin

Apr 5, 2018, 10:06:39 AM4/5/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick heads up that I did finally test the Docker-based dev environment on Windows and made a pull request documenting it if anyone would like to take a look: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/4531

Philip Durbin

Apr 5, 2023, 2:18:17 PM4/5/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Good news! Akio Sone from UNC just posted that he got the new containerized Dataverse solution working on Windows!

For more on this new solution, please see recordings and notes from the new Containerization Working Group: https://ct.gdcc.io

Thanks,

Phil