Next phase overview

Romain Deltour

May 29, 2013, 5:29:53 AM5/29/13
to daisy-pip...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Attached is a document presenting possible objectives and activities for the next phase of the Pipeline 2 project (From January 2014 to December 2015), which was written in preparation for the DAISY Board meeting in June. The target audience for this document is the DAISY Board of Directors.

The document is not very detailed, the intent is rather to give an overview of the direction we're envisioning for the project.

The proposal is not set in stone either, so any suggestions and comments are welcome, as usual.

BR,
Romain.

2013-05-pipeline-nextphase.html

Jostein Austvik Jacobsen

May 29, 2013, 6:03:16 AM5/29/13
to daisy-pip...@googlegroups.com
Looks pretty good. The only comment I have is to the "DAISY formats" bulletpoint:

As stated; "previous DAISY formats (DAISY 2.02 and DAISY 3) are still heavily used by member organizations". It's difficult and expensive to replace all the DAISY 2.02 / DAISY 3 / DTBook -based tools with ZedAI / EPUB3-based tools overnight in a production environment. To make the migration from the old formats to the new formats easier, I think a set of scripts that downgrades books would be useful. In specific, I suspect that a EPUB3 to DTBook script might be requested collectively by the nordic countries when we meet in Copenhagen.

Jostein

Greg Kearney

May 29, 2013, 6:12:05 AM5/29/13
to daisy-pip...@googlegroups.com
I would like to second this comment. We have thousands of player out there that do not play ePub with no indication from Plextor if they ever will. We will need a way to go back to daisy 2.02.

Sent from my iPhone

Greg Kearney
Association for the Blind of Western Australia

Romain Deltour

May 29, 2013, 6:16:58 AM5/29/13
to daisy-pip...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's one of the reason I wanted to explicitly add "be able to produce DAISY 2.02 and DAISY 3 formats" (in addition of being able to consume them). We can list specific converters (e.g. "downgrades") when we talk about the charter details.

Thanks both for your comments.

Romain.