WT: Operation Skill Questions

crash2455

Jan 3, 2013, 12:55:53 AM1/3/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
With the "Operation Skill" extra, it says you roll the lower of the dice pools between the power and the skill.  When it talks about the skill, I assume it means only dice in the skill itself, which is to say that a focus tied to Brawl, would only use the dice in the Brawl skill and not the total of Body + Brawl.

Additionally, when it says to take the lower of the dice pools, how do HD and WD factor in?  For instance, if you have a 2HD power with Operation Skill tied to a 5d skill, which pool do you use?  There are obviously less dice in the power, but HD mean more than regular dice.

Thanks.

Paul Burks

Jan 3, 2013, 1:04:07 AM1/3/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
For Dice Pool Size the type of die doesn't matter, just the number. 5HD or 5WD might be more powerful than 5d, but they still only count as 5 each. Generally I assume the Operational Skill limits you to your Attribute plus Skill pool total, based on the assault rifle focus example. Otherwise it'd be very silly to make a master swordsman and a legendary sword.

Daniel Kane

Jan 4, 2013, 10:12:48 AM1/4/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
If your Operational Skill power has fewer dice than your stat + skill pool to use it, your stat + skill pool is reduced to the same number of dice as the power.  You need 10d in the power *and* the pool (or bonus dice from Spray or Augment) to roll a full 10d when using the focus.

For example, someone with Coordination 3d + Weapon(Big Clunky Machine Gun) 5d (for 8d total) and a Big Clunky Machine Gun focus with Spray +3 but only 4d in the focus, will roll:

3d + wd (skill reduced by Operational Skill, keeping the wd) + 3d (spray) = 6d + wd

One could argue that Operational Skill is a penalty and therefore eats hard dice before normal dice, but I don't think I'd read it that way unless Shane comes along and says so.

-- Daniel