Re: [ORE] Dice pools over 10?

Marco Subias

Jan 22, 2013, 10:21:10 AM1/22/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
You can use the dice that you prefer. The exception is that if you have to drop a die because you PC is distracted, I believe that you lose HD first.

Second, you can drop dice yourself - starting with HD - to attempt maneuvers and similar combat benefits. FREX, you could drop die 11 of your 11 die pool and set die 10 to 10 to increase your chances of getting a head shot. This die set to 10 does count as a rolled die, as any HD would be. You can drop a die to give your attack or defends faster. Aiming, Spray, etc., can be attempted by dropping dice.

Hotjets

On Sunday, January 20, 2013, Hollis McCray wrote:
Picked up the Essential Edition of WT used a couple of weeks ago, and I'm really impressed. Better tahn my current superhero M&M for certain types of campaigns (i.e. Darker & edgier, whatever that really means), I'm looking forward to a chance to run it. I've got two questions, however:

First, the rules say you can only roll a maximum of ten dice. What happens if your dice pool is more than 10 dice? With normal dice, I'm guessing you only roll 10 dice, But what happens when you have hard dice and wiggle dice involved? Do you choose which dice you roll, or is there a rule about which dice you take? (I asked this on the forums, but this seems more active, so I'm asking it here as well.)

The other thing is, can anyone recommend a good ORE dice roller for Android? Nothing I've found seems to work for ORE.

Allan Goodall

Jan 22, 2013, 10:21:56 AM1/22/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Hollis McCray <hollis...@gmail.com> wrote:
First, the rules say you can only roll a maximum of ten dice. What happens if your dice pool is more than 10 dice? With normal dice, I'm guessing you only roll 10 dice, But what happens when you have hard dice and wiggle dice involved? Do you choose which dice you roll, or is there a rule about which dice you take?

You get to choose. But, there is a rule that states that when you choose hard dice you have to roll all your hard dice or none of them. Obviously if you have more than 10 hard dice, you only roll 10 hard dice. If you have a mixture of hard dice and other dice, you must roll all your hard dice (up to a maximum of 10) and then choose whatever you want to add to the hard dice. Or, you roll none of your hard dice.

For example, say you had a pool of 7hd + 3d + 3wd. That's 13 dice. You can choose to roll 7hd and 3wd, or 7hd and 3d, or 7hd and some combination of regular and wiggle dice up to 3. Or, you can roll 3d and 3wd. You can't roll 3d and 3wd and 4hd, because you're not rolling all of your available hard dice. If you don't roll them all, you can't roll any.

Remember that dice penalties affect hard dice first, then regular dice, then wiggle dice.

The other thing is, can anyone recommend a good ORE dice roller for Android? Nothing I've found seems to work for ORE.

I can't help you there, though I, too, would be interested in finding a good Android dice roller for ORE.

--
Allan Goodall            http://www.hyperbear.com
awgo...@gmail.com

Aravol

Jan 24, 2013, 1:02:20 PM1/24/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
I've seen a lot of reviews that say the 10 die cap is a godsend, considering the tedium of matching up dice.

As for an Android App, how easily can android download an app not from the Market?

Chris Fougere

Jan 24, 2013, 12:35:01 PM1/24/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
The main reason IIRC for the cap of 10, is that with 11 normal dice you're guaranteed a set, with 10 its highly highly likely but not guaranteed.

One of my players bought some dice that he had to color himself (old school) so he simply colored the matching numbers for his "ORE set".  So each die has 10 different colors BUT when he rolls he only has to look for matching colors:)

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:02:20 -0800
From: aravol....@gmail.com
To: cult-...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [ORE] Re: Dice pools over 10?

I've seen a lot of reviews that say the 10 die cap is a godsend, considering the tedium of matching up dice.

As for an Android App, how easily can android download an app not from the Market?

Hollis McCray

Jan 24, 2013, 1:07:42 PM1/24/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
It's really easy to do. But from what I hear, if someone writes an
Android app, it's really easy to get it up on the Android market.

--
Sincerely,
Hollis McCray

hollis...@gmail.com

Aravol

Jan 27, 2013, 12:46:24 PM1/27/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
I shall see what I can throw together

Aravol

Jan 27, 2013, 12:47:18 PM1/27/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
This actually sounds like a really cool idea, does it work well for him?

Chris Fougere

Jan 27, 2013, 2:17:43 PM1/27/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
It works really well.  He used it for a player new to ORE as well.  The only time he has to pay attention to the actual numbers is for Height.  It Height's a non-issue then match the colors and away you go.

Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 09:47:18 -0800
From: aravol....@gmail.com
To: cult-...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [ORE] Re: Dice pools over 10?

Adam Rice

Feb 1, 2013, 9:12:11 AM2/1/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning,
Two quick questions, one that came up in the Progenitor game I'm running at the moment and one that occurred to me on the drive in to work this morning. First, is Amanda Sykes immune to Syntergenes? Looking over her DE Immunity ability I would lean towards yes (incidentally does that ability seem a little overpowered for a useful ability lacking the Variable Effect modifier to anyone else?), but as it wasn't spelled out definitively I was left telling my player "If she was vulnerable to syntergenes don't you think Cam would have gotten her under control a long time ago?".
Second, has anyone considered a kickstarter for a general purpose Wild Talents App for iPhone or iPad? Perhaps a die roller with an interactive character sheet? Being the least tech-savvy person I know, I really have no idea what all would be involved with time or cost, but I can only imagine the Cult of ORE alone would be able to get such a project off the ground.

Adam

rick jones

Feb 1, 2013, 11:21:13 AM2/1/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
The die-roller app MachDice has a ORE mode.

Epimetreus

Feb 1, 2013, 11:39:45 AM2/1/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, February 1, 2013, rick jones wrote:
The die-roller app MachDice has a ORE mode.

And Dicenomicon does ORE just fine. Just make a "room" with formulas like this one, for 4d:

@1 <- 4d10@
@2 <- unique(@1).
@3 <- uniquec(@1).
@4 <- @3 + "x" + @2.
rsort (@4) x "/n"

I know it looks complicated, but once it's set up it does a great job, sorting matches by width and height.

Hollis McCray

Feb 1, 2013, 12:18:09 PM2/1/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
Any suggestions for Android?

Allan Goodall

Feb 1, 2013, 1:57:48 PM2/1/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
Dicenomicon is impressive, but trying to create my own formulas makes my head hurt. (I managed to put yours into Dicenomicon, though it took forever as the interface isn't exactly intuitive. The formula doesn't seem to work, though, as i get results like 23 x 23; instead of showing height and width it's showing me the total x total.)

I like Mach Dice well enough, but I wish it had better functionality for saving specific rolls. What I'd like is something between Mach Dice and Dicenomicon.

Epimetreus

Feb 1, 2013, 2:12:08 PM2/1/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, February 1, 2013, Allan Goodall wrote:
Dicenomicon is impressive, but trying to create my own formulas makes my head hurt. (I managed to put yours into Dicenomicon, though it took forever as the interface isn't exactly intuitive. The formula doesn't seem to work, though, as i get results like 23 x 23; instead of showing height and width it's showing me the total x total.)

Sometime this weekend I'll export my dice room file to iTunes and email it to you, and you can import it via iTunes.
It's possible that I transcribed the formula wrong - copied it from Dicenomicon to paper and then typed it into mail - but see the three-post sequence between me and the developer at:

That's what I'm still using.

Anyway, hopefully the exported file will work.

- Ep

Adam Rice

Feb 1, 2013, 2:17:17 PM2/1/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
This is more of what I had in mind, something where you could for instance, input a character into the character sheet portion of the app and then be able to click on say the dodge skill or a power and have the dice rolled. Again, this is coming from a tech impaired point of view, so it's possible I'm asking for a flying car. Although this flying car would definitely have my pledge money if someone could build it. :)

Adam Rice

Feb 1, 2013, 2:28:43 PM2/1/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
And to tack on another question that came up last session, I have been using Joao Perdomo pretty extensively during this campaign. One of my players is a power mimic who has been permanently "learned" Joao's 10D of endurance Hyperskill, at that level I'm letting the PC go without sustenance or sleep indefinitely (as long as he never shuts it off), does that seem more or less balanced for a 10 die effect?

Marco Subias

Feb 1, 2013, 3:47:57 PM2/1/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
I would think that you could buy 2d of Immunity [exhaustion and hunger] for far less than the cost of 10D of power mimicry.

Hotjets

Allan Goodall

Feb 2, 2013, 9:30:48 AM2/2/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Epimetreus <epime...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sometime this weekend I'll export my dice room file to iTunes and email it to you, and you can import it via iTunes.

Cool! I look forward to seeing it.

And thanks for the link.

I wish the editor in Dicenomicon was easier to use. Is there a way of importing text for the formulas instead of using the built in editor?

Allan Goodall

Feb 2, 2013, 9:51:33 AM2/2/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Marco Subias <arkha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would think that you could buy 2d of Immunity [exhaustion and hunger] for far less than the cost of 10D of power mimicry.

I assumed there was a reason for the Power Mimic, because you're right, the difference is 170 points versus 12 points (assuming you buy up Duration on the Power Mimic's Useful quality into Permanent).

On the other hand, 10d in an Endurance Hyperskill is only 10 points.

Marco Subias

Feb 2, 2013, 10:12:51 AM2/2/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
Endless would do, for Power Mimic.

10 in Endurance would increase your natural staying power, but, barring GM house ruling, it wouldn't give it to you in a limitless manner, See Body and running. Hyper-Body lets you sprint for a longer period of time, but not really that much longer, and certainly not to the degree that the Endless would.

Hotjets

Adam Rice

Feb 2, 2013, 12:09:55 PM2/2/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm, a good point. I may have to rethink my interpretation of 10d of endurance. Any thoughts on syntergenes and Amanda Sykes?

Sent from my iPhone

Marco Subias

Feb 2, 2013, 6:48:17 PM2/2/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
This is a good question. Are synergenes themselves powered, or are they a normal structure that interact naturally with the brain? Can Amanda Sykes be influenced by "normal" synergenes that are not the product of superpowers? Can she get a normal Pepsi jingle stuck in her head or be caught up in the yellow happy face craze? Can she be seduced by a normal Charm + Persuade effort? Can Immunity to Dark Energy make you invulnerable to such a normal, non-powered social skills roll? Almost certainly not. Does it make you unaffected by such a roll if the charmer had one Dark Energy based hyper-die in Charm and everything else is unpowered? (To the last, I'd say that she is immune only to the influence of that one hyper-die, but not to the rest of the roll, though she might be able to use Willpower to resist influence, though it is unclear if such can be used v. non-powered efforts). This is one of those areas in If which the rules are unclear. Immunity as a Miracle can be a bit vague around the edges, as is the ability of Willpower to resist non-powered influence.

If Amanda is a plot device, choose whatever makes the story better. If she is not, only then do you need an official ruling or the choice of a house rule. But if synergenes exist as symbolic structures that are not themselves powered, she can be influenced by them, even if Dark Energy allowed the creator to make them in the first place. Can she use Willpower to resist? I'm not sure. Are synergenes themselves a power? If so, Willpower can work. If not, not according to a literal reading of the rules on page 51.

Remember, even if Dark Energy allows you to create a synergene, the synergene may not be made of Dark Energy. If I have Dark Energy based TK and use it to pile bricks in a heap, the heap itself is not charged with Dark Energy. If gasoline is used to transport me in my car to Las Vegas, neither I nor Las Vegas are somehow inherently charged with gasoline. I think that the synergenes are structures on their own, unpowered.

Horjets

Adam Rice

Feb 2, 2013, 9:37:54 PM2/2/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com, cult-...@googlegroups.com
I tend to agree that synergenes are more akin to reproducible gadgeteering; something created thanks to the presence of dark energy but completely independent upon creation. It does raise the question of why Cam or some other less moral hypermind (or hypercharmer or commander) never tried to control the Progenitor in this manner. With the hyperminds at least they could have their own inscrutable logic and nobody else considered it worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone

Marco Subias

Feb 2, 2013, 11:27:40 PM2/2/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
Would you want to poke Amanda with your synergene stick? It might work, but if it fails, and if she finds out, you'd have the unhappy attention of the most powerful super in the world. Maybe Cam has tried to hack the Progenitor, but Jason immunized Amanda with a custom synergene without anyone knowing.

Amanda can resist hyupercharmers and hypercommanders with Willpower.

Marco

Jason Hockley

Feb 4, 2013, 3:03:50 AM2/4/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
The designer of the game might know if it would work. You as the GM might know if it would work. But in your game, does Cam know if it would work? How confident would he be, and what would the outcome of failure be?

It reminds me of a comment a friend had on another game line, White Wolf's Trinity and Aberrant games. In it the world's superheroes go mad and wage war on the rest of the populace China resorts to threats of nuclear incineration for most of the planet as a last-ditch attempt to convince the supers to leave. One of our group was arguing that a number of the supers should have been able to survive a nuclear strike. Our GM's response was "They might. They've never put it to the test though. Would *you* want to take that gamble?".

Jason

Feb 4, 2013, 9:25:45 AM2/4/13
to cult-...@googlegroups.com
I have to say if I were in Cams' Hyper-intelligent position, I would introduce a "Tuesday is a good day to wear a blue shirt" synergene into her environment and see how she reacted. Again though, the setting is rife with examples of the Hyper-Minds taking actions that are not immediately (or even eventually) understandable by lesser minds, so I have no real problem with believing that they have their own reasons not to pursue this course of action.
I do like your GMs explanation of character behavior, I may have to steal that myself. :)