outside the box

Steven Trohalaki

Apr 25, 2012, 8:54:45 PM4/25/12
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I'm doing DFT optimization of a carbon nanotube and an aromatic
hydrocarbon that should adsorb on the CNT via pi-pi stacking.

The periodic cell has a=b=30 A, c=17 A; alpha=beta=90 deg, gamma=120
deg (the tube axis is along the z direction). The optimization
completes but when I look at the final set of coordinates, the
aromatic hydrocarbon is in the cell adjacent to the parent cell. I've
tried using @CENTER_COORDINATES but it doesn't help.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep both molecules in
the parent cell?

Thanks.

Steve T

Axel

Apr 25, 2012, 9:18:29 PM4/25/12
to cp...@googlegroups.com
why bother? they are identical due to PBC.
just wrap the coordinates back into the
principal cell and you are done.

axel.

Thanks.

Steve T

Steven Trohalaki

Apr 29, 2012, 3:36:18 PM4/29/12
to cp...@googlegroups.com
yes, i understand that i can wrap everything into one cell but it would just be easier to check intermediate and final geometries if there were a way to have CP2K output geometries of both molecules in the same cell.  or, is there a visualization package that works well with CP2K?

BTW, everything stays in the parent cell when alpha=beta=gamma=90 deg, so i wonder why it's different when alpha=beta=90 deg, gamma=120 deg.

steve t

Axel

Apr 29, 2012, 4:05:01 PM4/29/12
to cp...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:36:18 PM UTC-4, steve t wrote:
yes, i understand that i can wrap everything into one cell but it would just be easier to check intermediate and final geometries if there were a way to have CP2K output geometries of both molecules in the same cell.  or, is there a visualization package that works well with CP2K?

what works well depends a lot on what file formats you use
and how proficient you are in using the corresponding viz tool.
i use VMD in combination with psf + dcd format files and
wrapping coordinates is just one call to an bundled plugin.

however, it is often better to just enable periodic display
and get a better feel for how periodic boundaries would
affect the calculation, too.

BTW, everything stays in the parent cell when alpha=beta=gamma=90 deg, so i wonder why it's different when alpha=beta=90 deg, gamma=120 deg.

the way downhill may be shorter and steeper,
when going to the neighboring cell?
hard to tell with only a vague description.

axel.

steve t