House Rules vs Membership Agreements

oren.s...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2012, 4:40:36 PM8/18/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hey there all you global coworkers,

I'm still a bit new here, so forgive me if this topic has been covered before (couldn't find it via a cursory search).

I have a few questions to get a discussion going regarding everyone's opinions on guidelines for member behavior:
  1. Do you provide a membership agreement to each coworker, post house rules in a public or both?
  2. What are the key principles covered in either?
  3. Can you provide samples of your house rules or membership agreements?
I feel like there might be room for both, but there seems to be more value in house rules since coworkers can see these all the time vs. an agreement that might be more detailed but only read once, signed, and never considered ever again.

What do y'all think?

Thanks!

Linda Rolf

Aug 18, 2012, 5:02:34 PM8/18/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Oren,

We (swivelspaces.com) are new to coworking as well. Like you have suggested, we opted for the community rules posted under our website's terms of use. We want to create an atmosphere that is in keeping with the spirit of coworking while still keeping our attorney happy.

Linda

Sent from my iPad

Tom Brandt

Aug 18, 2012, 5:10:03 PM8/18/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
At Workantile, we have a license agreement which:
  • spells out in broad terms how members may use the space
  • clarifies that members are responsible for their own property - we are not insuring it
  • specifies that Workantile does not provide alcohol to members, but members may share drink among themselves - this gets us and our insurance company off the hook in case something alcohol-related happens (we hope)
  • spells out membership
  • spells out how/when Workantile may terminate someone's membership. We have had to do this only once in three years.
We don't have rules, we do have expectations. When you have rules, people get bogged down in minutiae. It is better to invite members to figure out how to make the community even more awesome than it is right now, than it is to dictate what people can and can't do.
--
twb
member, Workantile

Tom Brandt

Aug 18, 2012, 6:05:35 PM8/18/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, bullet 4 should read "spells out membership levels and associated dues".

Cristina Santamarina

Aug 19, 2012, 2:51:40 PM8/19/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oren,

I work for Cobot (a software app for coworking spaces). We have a monthly newsletter and last month we wrote an article about coworking agreements. We analyzed the pros and cons of leases and service agreements, and we also posted a coworking service agreement you can use as a model.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about our post, and good luck with your research!

Cristina Santamarina

Alex Hillman

Aug 19, 2012, 5:34:30 PM8/19/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Deskmag had a recent article worth checking out as well!

--
/ah
indyhall.org

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Aug 20, 2012, 2:27:25 PM8/20/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

oren.s...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2012, 4:03:11 PM8/23/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for all your helpful feedback!

Does anyone have anything to add to the three components mentioned in the DeskMag article?

Their key points were to cover Respect for Fellow Coworkers, Respect for the Facility/Equipment, and Access to the Building.

Tom Brandt

Sep 14, 2012, 9:15:50 AM9/14/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, cowo...@googlegroups.com
Pedro,

It's on our website. Go to workantile.com, click Member Info, then click License Agreement.

I hope you find it useful

---
twb
Sent from my Phone of i

On Sep 14, 2012, at 4:32 AM, CoimbraCoWorkSpace <pedrosan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tom, can you please send us a sample of your license agreement?

Thank you,
Pedro
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/coworking/-/OWCZ8whLbh8J.

Chris Willis

Feb 3, 2014, 2:46:26 PM2/3/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Cristina - the Cobot model service agreement has been a godsend in helping me get our coworking site up and running in a hurry. Very thorough. I truly appreciate the resource!

Cristina Santamarina

Feb 4, 2014, 5:01:05 AM2/4/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris, great to hear! We are putting some more resources for opening a coworking space in http://learn.cobot.me - maybe they can be of help!