What types of snacks do you provide?

OC Houston

Mar 8, 2012, 3:15:25 PM3/8/12
to Coworking
We are in the planning stages of a coworking space. I've read that
most spots provide snacks. What types of snacks are typically offered?
Do you stay away from junk foods?

Tom Brandt

Mar 9, 2012, 9:43:29 AM3/9/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
The internet is built on junk food and coffee.

At Workantile, we have a variety of snacks, ranging from Doritos to trail mix to fruit. A local vegan bakery (this being Ann Arbor) brings in baked goods every other day or so. We also have coffee from Zingermans. Members pay for the snacks they eat, so the whole thing is self-funded. A couple of members manage the snack fund and buy the snacks and coffee.

twb
member, Workantile
@twbrandt

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Mar 13, 2012, 10:37:13 AM3/13/12
to Coworking
We have a shared food table in our lounge up front where I place
cookies or Pop chips once a week. This little gesture has encouraged
other members to bring in food for sharing that has ranged from sweet
breads to celery with peanut butter. As the community manager I just
needed to get the ball rolling and let everyone know that this is the
shared food space and the members took it over from there.

I like the idea of shared food because it is a communal activity and
is an easy way for people to contribute to the community in a physical
way. We also share beer, by the way.

Craig
Creative Density

John Wilker

Mar 13, 2012, 10:39:22 AM3/13/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
We've started doing the same, members bring in donuts or other snacks and from time to time we'll set something out to help keep the concept going.

Our standard fee for meet ups is that they leave the beer behind so there's always something in the fridge and from time to time a member brings in a case of something to share. It works well so far.

John Wilker
Founder, 360|Conferences
(720) 381-2370
twitter: jwilker
johnwilker.com | 360|MacDev | 360|Flex | 360|iDev

rachel young

Mar 13, 2012, 10:58:50 AM3/13/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

We have fruit on the tables (mandarins, apples, sometimes bananas) and beer in the fridge. Someone will bring in something like chips or cookies and leave it on top of the microwave and announce it on our Yammer network. And sometimes we bring things in to keep it going (there are bagels there now and last week was cinnamon buns and chocolate covered espresso beans), but tomorrow we're specifically bringing in pie for Pi Day. We have a thing for pie here and use it to celebrate many things, but it is also the ultimate geek holiday after all.
r.

____________________
rachel young
rac...@camaraderie.ca

Find us in person:
Camaraderie
102 Adelaide St E 2nd Floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 1K9

Find us online:
Website/blog and Newsletter

Be in business for yourself, not by yourself!
Mar 25, 2012 is the next FLCTO.
Stay in the know at http://bit.ly/freelcancecampTO

Are you a coworking commitmentphobe?
for a day pass to seven spaces for one price.

OC Houston

Mar 14, 2012, 9:52:28 PM3/14/12
to Coworking
Thanks all. I couldn't use my business gmail account to join the
group, so I have to remember to check my posts. These answers take a
lot of "stress" off. So many people in our area are on a health kick.
I guess encouraging food sharing takes care of everyone's needs. :-)

Toni

On Mar 13, 9:58 am, rachel young <rac...@camaraderie.ca> wrote:
> We have fruit on the tables (mandarins, apples, sometimes bananas) and beer
> in the fridge. Someone will bring in something like chips or cookies and
> leave it on top of the microwave and announce it on our Yammer network. And
> sometimes we bring things in to keep it going (there are bagels there now
> and last week was cinnamon buns and chocolate covered espresso beans), but
> tomorrow we're specifically bringing in pie for Pi Day. We have a thing for
> pie here and use it to celebrate many things, but it is also the ultimate
> geek holiday after all.
> r.
>
> *____________________
> rachel young
> *rac...@camaraderie.ca
>
> *Find us in person:*
> Camaraderie
> 102 Adelaide St E 2nd Floor
> Toronto, ON  M5C 1K9
> (647) 861-4350
>
> *Find us online:*
> Website/blog <http://camaraderie.ca> and
> Newsletter<http://bit.ly/camaraderienewsletter>
> Google+ <http://bit.ly/CamaraderiePlus>, Twitter<http://twitter.com/camaraderie>
> , Facebook <http://bit.ly/9zv3Fx>, and LinkedIn<http://bit.ly/CamaraderieGroup>
>
> *Be in business for yourself, not by yourself! *
> *Mar 25, 2012 is the next FLCTO. *
> *Stay in the know at **http://bit.ly/freelcancecampTO*
> *
> *
> *Are you a coworking commitmentphobe? *
> *Try the Coworking Toronto Passport Program <http://bit.ly/CTOPassport2012>*
> *for a day pass to seven spaces for one price.*
> *
> *
>
> On 13 March 2012 10:39, John Wilker <john.wil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >  We've started doing the same, members bring in donuts or other snacks and
> > from time to time we'll set something out to help keep the concept going.
>
> > Our standard fee for meet ups is that they leave the beer behind so
> > there's always something in the fridge and from time to time a member
> > brings in a case of something to share. It works well so far.
>
> > John Wilker
> > Founder, 360|Conferences
> > (720) 381-2370
> > twitter: jwilker <http://twitter.com/jwilker>
> > johnwilker.com | 360|MacDev <http://360macdev.com/> | 360|Flex<http://360flex.com/>
> >  | 360|iDev <http://360idev.com/>

Ryan L. Cross

Mar 16, 2012, 7:20:28 PM3/16/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
We have a cereal bar in our space. We provide bowls, spoons, milk and 6 (just upped it from 4) different kinds of cereal. I've not heard one person say that they don't find this to be a valuable amenity. I thought that was interesting. On a practical note, the milk is the only pain to provide (as it needs to be purchased on a very regular basis). The rest we have subscriptions setup on Amazon.

In case you're wondering, yes the cereal is in alphabetical order. ;)

Ryan

Alex Hillman

Mar 16, 2012, 10:01:39 PM3/16/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
A cereal bar, awesome idea!

We have a few food-related things at Indy Hall:

1) a vending machine that is stocked weekly with all local-made snacks and beverages. Tastycake may have been bought by an Atlanta company, but they're still employing Philadelphia workers at the factory. The owner of this new business (offering the vending machines) is a member of Indy Hall herself.

2) We have a weekly "meal plan" that's organized by a few of our members and a local personal chef. You pay $20/month (5/meal) for a "whatever she picks" catered lunch. It's always an entree + a fruit or salad. It's delicious, nutritious, and heck - $5.

3) Our newest membership subset is called "CounterCultr", a group of foodies that swap recipes, do food photography, menu-writing, and other creative work surrounding food. Us having a full (albeit non-commercial) kitchen means they're not shuffling between each others' kitchens every week while they experiment with their food ideas. The group is growing and a lot of fun. Bonus: they leave leftovers for the next day for everyone to share

This is all on top of the usual coffe-provisions, the occasional pizza lunch, the periodic snack samples dropped off by various vendors, and generous members who bring in bagels, pretzels, fruit, baked goods, etc to share.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Alex Hillman

Mar 16, 2012, 11:40:18 PM3/16/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I heard about another awesome (and simple) event idea at the Unconference in Austin: a "coworker's brunch". Apologies for not being able to remember the source.

The idea is that some breakfast food is provided weekly at the beginning of the week to get everyone together, talk about their week ahead, and what they have planned. The following week provides followup and accountability. The rhythm, of course, is something that new members can jump into easily and replicate.

I love this, we're going to be rolling something like this into Indy Hall.

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Message has been deleted

OC Houston

Mar 17, 2012, 12:04:10 AM3/17/12
to Coworking
So, it appears none of my other replies posted or I can't see them.
Let me know before I repost. I replied to Ryan and Alex.

On Mar 16, 10:40 pm, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I heard about another awesome (and simple) event idea at the Unconference
> in Austin: a "coworker's brunch". Apologies for not being able to remember
> the source.
>
> The idea is that some breakfast food is provided weekly at the beginning of
> the week to get everyone together, talk about their week ahead, and what
> they have planned. The following week provides followup and accountability.
> The rhythm, of course, is something that new members can jump into easily
> and replicate.
>
> I love this, we're going to be rolling something like this into Indy Hall.
>
> /ah
> indyhall.org
> coworking in philadelphia
>
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com

OC Houston

Mar 16, 2012, 7:26:10 PM3/16/12
to Coworking
LMBO! Cereal sounds like my kind of snack. Whenever I can't figure out
what I want to eat/cook cereal is the obvious choice. And,
alphabetical order...of course!!! LOL

Now, our space will be located next door to pizza hut. Pizza is my
favorite food. The wings aren't bad either. I hope I don't ruin it for
some folks with an EVERY Friday pizza day. ha!

Toni

OC Houston

Mar 16, 2012, 10:42:18 PM3/16/12
to Coworking
This is getting better and better. :-) I forgot to looking up a
vending machine service this week. I need to add that to my list.

Hmmm. I don't see my last reply.

Toni