Any good member profiles apps for coworking space websites??

Will Bennis, Locus Workspace

Jul 4, 2012, 9:39:56 AM7/4/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend an app for creating a nice looking "Members Profiles" page for their coworking website? Here are some things I'm looking for (with importance from 1 to 2, where 1 is essential and 2 is ideal but not essential):

  • 2. Easy for the member to set-up quickly by importing the initial data from Facebook or Google+ or Yahoo (or something) profiles.
  • 1. Customizable fields by the coworking space owner: I'd like to be able to add a few custom fields that wouldn't be in a standard Facebook profile, but also to not include all the fields from other prominent social networking sites, so the fields are most appropriate for my community.
  • 1. Customizable field content by the coworking space members: Members should be able to login and then manage their own profile, changing the data from whatever was originally imported from Facebook or Google+ or wherever.
  • 2. Searchable by field (or maybe sortable). It would be nice if someone interested in finding programmers in the space could filter by that profession, or even by a specialization like AJAX. (Or by translator with a specialization like Russian, for example).
  • 1. Looks nice. I would be nice if the members profiles page overall formatting was designed to look professional as you might get on a search for members on meetup.com or some other quality social network site.
  • 1. Not connected to an entire social network site. I know there is software out there that works if you use their entire backend (like Ning or Grouply, etc.), but too many of those features don't work for my site.
  • 1. Embeddable into a Google Site: I want it to be on my main website as a page, and I use Google Sites.
  • 1. Usable by a non-programmer. It should be a widget or gadget or app or whatever that has been designed for non-programmers to use.
  • 1. Don't need a server to run the software.

I'm guessing this is an impossible wishlist, but it also seems like something a lot of community organizers would want for their websites, along with most coworking space owners, so I thought I'd ask. I remember a long time back Alex at Indy Hall mentioned some great software, but it was still at a stage where you needed some programming savvy (and I think your own server) to manage. Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Will

Tom Ball

Jul 5, 2012, 6:24:28 AM7/5/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will,

We have built a version of this for NearDesk - as a platform for co-working spaces (UK focused initially) but may be able to let you use it in a few months if you can wait?! I'm guessing not!

It leverages other sites (Like LinkedIn & Twitter) - with a thin "about me" and "what I'm looking for"

It is designed as a "passport" that lets users use multiple locations run by different companies but a single profile.

It will cover:
- Who's here now - people actually in this building at the moment
- Who's based here - e.g. members even if they're not in the building

It's combined with a card system so users can touch-in/out - and integrated with billing so that drives hourly billing. We are working on integrating with Wifi so it gives Wifi access as people log-in/arrive

Sorry not to be able to help today
Tom.
myfirstn...@companyname.com (To avoid spambots!)

Judy Schramm

Jul 5, 2012, 8:59:48 AM7/5/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will,

There are lots of inexpensive membership management software packages out there. Most are designed to run small nonprofits, but you can use the member directory without taking advantage of the whole thing.

I haven't used it myself, but Wild Apricot is free for up to 50 members. www.wildapricot.com

I have used Memberclicks, which as I recall was about $125/month. www.memberclicks.com

If you google "membership directory software" you'll find a whole list of options.

Judy Schramm
ProResource, Inc.

Will

Denver Hutt

Jul 5, 2012, 11:01:24 AM7/5/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Will,

Great question - and one that I recently came up against myself. Depending on the makeup/background of your space, have you asked any of your members to create one for you?

Almost everything tech related (main website, profile pages, internal applications) have been built by our members as a donation to the space and community. It's been a good learning opportunity (the projects are usually completed by interns or apprentices) for the person working on it (client relations) and gotten the work done for free - in a very cool customized way. Also, since our space is very anti-business cards (we have a rule about not passing them out) it's given people a chance to showcase their skills rather than just tell people what they do.

Otherwise, our member profiles hit all the points you outlined - I'm happy to send you an invite if you want to check them out.

Good luck!
-d

Alex Hillman

Jul 5, 2012, 11:10:05 AM7/5/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Take a peek at Citizenry, an open source app that powers weworkinphilly.com and many more.

The link to the github project is in the footer of our website.

-Alex

--
/ah
indyhall.org

Cristina Santamarina

Jul 6, 2012, 4:50:34 AM7/6/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Dobry Den Will,

Cobot has a Members Application (included in the standard fee) that can help you. There is no feed from other social networks, but we do have customizable profiles (you can add custom questions, and members can update their details any time), a message board, a nice look and it is easy to use. You can also embed it in your site.

Let's not spam everybody with details. Your email here is private, and there is just a contact form in your website, but feel free to reach me at cristina [at] cobot [dot] me if you are interested in seeing a demo or have any questions.

Nashledanou a hezky vikend,

Cristina

julianne

Jul 6, 2012, 7:54:21 AM7/6/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com, Joel Deskwanted

Hey there Will,

Just saw your post.
I am not sure if you know about Deskwanted.com but we have upgraded to be much more than a search portal for coworking spaces - we have recently launched our management system for coworking spaces, including member profiles, and easy messaging to them.
We would be very happy to have you try us out. We will always be free for managing spaces, and in the near future we will be launching our premium services - including white labeling and reports.
At the moment the system can help with payments, desk bookings, meeting room space bookings, managing coworkers, and more.
We are nearing 1,000 spaces on Deskwanted and have been working closely with the community to develop the system that will fit for everyone, and will work to help spaces tailor to their needs.

I have cc'd Joel here, he is the founder and can walk through any technical questions that you may have about the system.

You can also send any questions directly to me, I would be happy to find the answers.

All the best,

Julianne

Will Bennis, Locus Workspace

Jul 9, 2012, 1:30:06 PM7/9/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks all for the great set of suggestions if I haven't emailed you personally!!

Best,
Will

Joan de Haene

Jul 16, 2014, 5:38:43 PM7/16/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom!
We are looking for  a software with your description. Any updates? Have you launched it?

Joan de Haene

Jul 16, 2014, 5:49:26 PM7/16/14
to cowo...@googlegroups.com