Pervasive Mac bug causes HEIC files imported from iOS devices and converted to JPG to contain more than 1.5MB of empty data appended to the end of each file

Arlen Holder

May 3, 2020, 7:17:51 PM5/3/20
Verbatim:
"pervasive Mac bug causes HEIC files imported from iOS devices and
converted to JPG to contain more than 1.5MB of empty data appended to the
end of each file"
<https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/01/macos-jpg-truncation-bug-widespread/>
"issue affects nearly all Mac apps that import photos from cameras and
iOS devices"

"the bug is located inside Apple's ImageCaptureCore framework, which is a
part of macOS that all developers must use to connect to digital cameras."

"The only app that isn't affected is said to be Apple's Photos app, which
uses undocumented APIs to talk to iOS devices."

"one short term workaround for future transfers is to prevent your iPhone
or iPad from using the HEIF format when taking photos"

See also:
o Newly Discovered macOS Image Capture Bug Can Fill Up Hard Drives With Empty Data
<https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/28/macos-image-capture-bug-eats-storage/>

o Another macOS bug in Image Capture
<https://cdfinder.de/blog/files/image_capture_bug.html>

o GraphicConverter 11.2 (macOS >= 10.9)
<http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html>
--
Every Usenet thread should strive to purposefully helpfully add value.

Alan Baker

May 3, 2020, 7:26:10 PM5/3/20
Oh, no!

There's a bug in software!

geoff

May 3, 2020, 7:41:15 PM5/3/20
On behalf on nospam " There are far more and more serious bugs in all
Windows, Microsoft, and Android-based software and hardware. "

geoff

Arlen Holder

May 3, 2020, 7:56:36 PM5/3/20

> On behalf on nospam " There are far more and more serious bugs in all
> Windows, Microsoft, and Android-based software and hardware. "

Hi Geoff,

I love that apologists _always_ innately instantly blame Google & Microsoft
o For Apple bugs!

That never happens on the Windows or Android newsgroups...
o This deflection of blame away from Apple _only_ happens on Apple ngs.

Yet, it happens _every_ time on the Apple newsgroups.
o I don't think apologists even realize _why_ you blame everyone but Apple.

For example:
o Why do apologists like Alan Baker & nospam desperately try to shift
the blame of Apple bugs to Google & Microsoft?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/LOQx1Ok-79c/RRyPAo3kAgAJ>

And, for example:
o Why do both Apple & the apologists habitually blame everyone but Apple
for Apple's poor design choices?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/Iee15bZl49I/i8xeBobOAAAJ>

However, on behalf of Apple, I started digging into _why_ they are taking
so horribly long to fix the extremely serious publicly known Mail
vulnerability which not only affects one and a half billion devices, but
which has lasted wholly untested for almost a decade.

It's so huge you can drive a Mac Truck through it...
o So I dug into _why_ Apple is too busy to fix this serious of a bug?

It turns out, apparently Google dumped a ton of _new_ bugs on Apple, as did
a bunch of others (e.g., ZecOps & NeoFinder recent reports).

So in a way, you apologists _can_ blame Google for Apple's bugs!
--
Apple should put some of that MARKETING budget to actual testing of code!
(Instead of Marketing being the ones who incessantly proclaim it safe!)

Alan Baker

May 3, 2020, 7:58:27 PM5/3/20
On 2020-05-03 4:56 p.m., Arlen Holder wrote:

>> On behalf on nospam " There are far more and more serious bugs in all
>> Windows, Microsoft, and Android-based software and hardware. "
>
> Hi Geoff,
>
> I love that apologists _always_ innately instantly blame Google & Microsoft
> o For Apple bugs!

I love that you imagine that pointing out your hypocrisy on bug
reporting equates with blaming anyone.

Arlen Holder

May 3, 2020, 8:15:08 PM5/3/20

> I love that you imagine that pointing out your hypocrisy on bug
> reporting equates with blaming anyone.

Alan,

I posted FACTS.
o You and Geoff innately instantly brazenly tried to _deflect_ the facts.

*Why do you _hate_ Apple is never what MARKETING fed you to believe?*

Do you have any idea whatsoever how _serious_ the collection of bugs are
that Apple did not find and which were reported to Apple just this week?

None?

Really?

You're clueless?

Again?

You're _that_ unaware of _why_ Apple is taking so long to release the
already-serious Mail bug release (among numerous other bugs)?

Let me give you a hint of just _two_ very serious _current_ bugs, Alan:
o A critical iPhone and iPad bug that lurked for 8 years may be under active attack
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/P5b1Ujau6iU>

o New vulnerabilities (described as numerous) have been detected in Apple┬ Image I/O
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/RrXonVt7_y0>

(Let's ignore the plethora of text-crashing and FaceTime bugs, Alan.)

These two alone open up nearly every Apple Mac & iOS device on the planet!
o That's _billions_ of very expensive devices, Alan.

Vulnerable right now!
o And, for almost a decade (on some of these vulnerabilities), Alan.

I've studied you apologists, so I think I know why you blame Microsoft.
o Or Google.

But I wonder if _you_ know why you innately blame everyone but Apple...
o For Apple vulnerabilities.

Do you?
--
HINT: You _hate_ that Apple isn't what MARKETING fed you to believe it was.

JF Mezei

May 3, 2020, 9:03:53 PM5/3/20
On 2020-05-03 19:41, geoff wrote:

> On behalf on nospam " There are far more and more serious bugs in all
> Windows, Microsoft, and Android-based software and hardware. "

I wrote code that manually processes a .tiff image that contains SRTM
digital elevation data. a bug in how the file is encoded *could* cause
problems for my software and trying to debig it. (or could be totally
translarent if the software never gets to that space because no tags
point to it).

Simularly, not evertone who processes image files use Apple APIs to
process/decompress image files. So those could have problems with such
files depending again on how the big is internally represented in the file.

Alan Baker

May 3, 2020, 9:10:05 PM5/3/20
On 2020-05-03 5:15 p.m., Arlen Holder wrote:

>> I love that you imagine that pointing out your hypocrisy on bug
>> reporting equates with blaming anyone.
>
> Alan,
>
> I posted FACTS.
> o You and Geoff innately instantly brazenly tried to _deflect_ the facts.

It is not a fact that anyone blamed "everyone but Apple", Arlen.

It's a lie...

...Liar.

Arlen Holder

May 3, 2020, 9:16:29 PM5/3/20

> I wrote code that manually processes a .tiff image that contains SRTM
> digital elevation data. a bug in how the file is encoded *could* cause
> problems for my software and trying to debig it. (or could be totally
> translarent if the software never gets to that space because no tags
> point to it).
>
> Simularly, not evertone who processes image files use Apple APIs to
> process/decompress image files. So those could have problems with such
> files depending again on how the big is internally represented in the file.

Hi JF Mezei,

You're not an apologist so a normal adult conversation is possible...
o We can discuss facts & solutions, instead of playing silly games deflecting blame.

HINT: I think I know why apologists always blame everyone but Apple for the
incessant set of never-ending immense number of Apple bugs; but I can't
tell them why they blame everyone but Apple until they realize that's what
they do every single time a bug is found in Apple code that they just don't
like anyone knowing about.

*Anyway, for your stated problem set... there is apparently a workaround:*
VERBATIM from the previous cites:
First possible solutions to fix this:
Thorsten Lemke, the developer of Graphic Converter has released
a new beta version of the venerable Graphic Converter with the
option to remove this unwanted empty data from the JPG files,
to be found in the Metadata context menu.
More about that here: http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

*The second possible workaround is also discussed here:*
<https://cdfinder.de/blog/files/image_capture_bug.html>
VERBATIM:
We have confirmed that this bug is actually present in all Mac
applications that use ImageCaptureCore.framework, including
Adobe Lightroom, PhaseOne MediaPro, and many others.
It is actually possible that the real bug happens inside of iOS,
on the devices themselves.
We will release a new version of NeoFinder with a tool that can
reclaim these gigabytes of wasted space for you.
This will happen early next week.

BTW, a VERBATIM quote from the people who found the bug, is in the sig.
--
Of course, this is a colossal waste of space, especially considering that
Apple is seriously still selling new Macs with a ridiculously tiny 128 GB

With just 1000 photos, for example, this bug already eats 1.5 GB off your
precious and very expensive SSD disk space. For 5000 photo files, that is
7.5 GB already, for nothing.

We have notified Apple of this new bug that was already present in macOS
10.14.6, and maybe they will fix it this time without adding yet additional
new bugs in the process.

Sigh.

Dear Apple: Please stop releasing major macOS updates every year. Nobody
can handle that. And please start fixing the bugs. Really. Like today.

Arlen Holder

May 3, 2020, 9:23:48 PM5/3/20
To spare adults on this ng further indignity imposed by apologists...
o I will not respond to anyone who claims all facts are "lies by liars".

See reference:
o Why do apologists like nospam & Alan Baker incessantly call facts
they don't like "lies" and all bearers of facts they don't like "Liars"?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/nVzWBU2otC4/obuCXB1nAgAJ>
--
Apologists _hate_ what Apple is, which isn't what MARKETING said it was.
Hence, they blame everyone but Apple for Apple being just like they are.

Alan Baker

May 3, 2020, 10:18:55 PM5/3/20
On 2020-05-03 6:23 p.m., Arlen Holder wrote:
> To spare adults on this ng further indignity imposed by apologists...
> o I will not respond to anyone who claims all facts are "lies by liars".

That's great!

Because the claim that people "blame everyone but Apple"...

...isn't a fact...

...Liar.

:-)

Alan Baker

May 3, 2020, 10:19:56 PM5/3/20
On 2020-05-03 6:16 p.m., Arlen Holder wrote:

>> I wrote code that manually processes a .tiff image that contains SRTM
>> digital elevation data. a bug in how the file is encoded *could* cause
>> problems for my software and trying to debig it. (or could be totally
>> translarent if the software never gets to that space because no tags
>> point to it).
>>
>> Simularly, not evertone who processes image files use Apple APIs to
>> process/decompress image files. So those could have problems with such
>> files depending again on how the big is internally represented in the
>> file.
>
> Hi JF Mezei,
>
> You're not an apologist so a normal adult conversation is possible...
> o We can discuss facts & solutions, instead of playing silly games
> deflecting blame.
>
> HINT: I think I know why apologists always blame everyone but Apple for the

You keep stating as fact what is NOT fact, Liar.