Little Egret ID

Norm Erthal

Apr 30, 2013, 12:30:47 AM4/30/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I have seen hundreds of little egrets in several countries. This includes in Trinidad and Tobago where there was one in breeding plumage with snowys present. The id is not readily apparent. Discussion of back plumes is not very helpful. They are not significantly different than on snowy. Black legs and yellow feet are of course no use as this is a primary field mark for snowy. Without a photograph, calling an egret with the field marks mentioned would lead me to say that it is a snowy.
Norm Erthal
Arvada

Jeff J Jones

Apr 30, 2013, 9:41:20 AM4/30/13
to ner...@comcast.net, cob...@googlegroups.com

Hi Norm,

Thanks for chiming in. I have no experience with Little Egrets, having never seen one.

I do want to ask however about the discussion of back plumes. All I have to go on are the field guides (Natl Geo 6th Ed, Sibley, among others). It seems to me that in reviewing these texts, they make a point (and the pictures show it) that in breeding plumage the 2-3 plumes of the Little Egret far exceed anything we might see on the Snowy at any time of year. And they seem quite distinctive in the drawings. And match precisely my memory of what I saw on Sunday.

Is your comment (“Discussion of back plumes is not very helpful”) meant to apply generally or at all times of the year? If one sees these distinctive plumes on a white egret, to the same degree as shown in both of the above mentioned field guides for a breeding Little Egret, is that still not enough to go on? I am just wondering if your comment was meant for times when the plumes were not distinctive and in high-breeding, or if the plumes are truly of no assistance in ID’ng a bird even in this case.

I have seen, as I am sure many folks here have, hundreds of Snowy’s over the years, and I don’t think I have ever seen any sporting 2-3 distinctive long plumes; even in high-breeding plumage. Have you (or anyone) ever seen a Snowy Egret with 2-3 very distinct and long plumes? Perhaps this is common and I just don’t know about it.

Thanks for educating us.

Jeff J Jones

(jjo...@jonestc.com)

Teller County - 8500' - Montane Woodlands

Ira Sanders

Apr 30, 2013, 9:53:40 AM4/30/13
to jjo...@jonestc.com, ner...@comcast.net, cob...@googlegroups.com

One field mark not yet mentioned is the size of the bill.  After seeing a Little Egret in MA late last year, and paying more attn to this difference than I did when seeing Little Egret in other places in the world,  I'd say the larger bill is a noticeable field mark.  There is also a difference in behavior as pointed out in Nat Geo and this was evident in the bird in MA.

Ira Sanders

Golden, CO

Rachel Hopper

Apr 30, 2013, 10:05:27 AM4/30/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com

Leg and foot color are the most helpful marks with solid black legs and the absence of yellow stripe running up the back of the tarsus. The yellow on the feet is largely restricted to the toes. In addition the lores are paler than the iris.

Here is an excellent article on the separation of Little Egret from Snowy Egret: http://www.oceanwanderers.com/LTEGRT.html

Check here for a photograph (taken by me) of the first breeding record of Little Egret in Barbados: http://www.pbase.com/hopko/image/106617954

-------------------

Rachel Hopper

Ft. Collins, CO

Dick Filby

Apr 30, 2013, 10:18:08 AM4/30/13
to cobirds

Hi all

For anyone interested in how to separate a vagrant Little Egret from our Snowy Egrets, a great resource is  David Sibley’s web page on the subject

http://www.sibleyguides.com/bird-info/little-egret/finding-and-identifying-a-little-egret-among-snowy-egrets/

last updated August 2012

best wishes

Dick Filby

Carbondale CO

ner...@comcast.net

Apr 30, 2013, 10:23:08 AM4/30/13
to Ira Sanders, jjo...@jonestc.com, cob...@googlegroups.com

Back plumes are not what matter. It is the plumes off the top of the head that do. These are only present in full breeding plumage. The color of the lores is very critical. I agree with Ira about the MA bird. It is ditinctive but easier to judge when in comparison to a nearby snowy.

Norm

Jeff J Jones

Apr 30, 2013, 10:24:28 AM4/30/13
to r-ho...@comcast.net, cob...@googlegroups.com

Excellent ID info from both Ira and Rachel.

Let me respond based on what I saw, or did not see in this case.

·         At 120 yards, and not expecting anything other than snowy or cattle egret for this size; bill-size did not stand out to me nor do I remember noting anything unusual about it.

·         Also, behavior is probably of no help, as this bird was perched on a snag and intermittently preening; not actively feeding.

·         The bird in question was facing me, so I had no look at the color of the back of the legs. Yellow feet definitely stood out against the black legs; but as to where the yellow started or stopped on the feet would have been hard to tell at that distance with binos.

Of course, if Little Egret had been on my radar (especially with the possible significance of 2 plumes) I would have made a much grander effort – or any effort for that matter other than simply dismissing it as a Snowy. Still kicking myself. I am reminded now of an email, years ago, from Tony Leukering – I think – about how all should be on the lookout for those birds not yet reported here, but possible for showing up. He wondered just how many such rare finds have all too often been dismissed as similar-looking commonly-found Colorado birds.

I had really expected some news from Belmar Lake this morning. I suppose at least someone went to check this out? Did anyone ever hear back from “DirectionerBirder” that reported this at Belmar?

I also think it is reasonable to assume that IF, this is the same bird that I saw at Fountain Creek on Sunday, AND it was seen at Belmar Park on Monday; perhaps folks from Denver and further north should definitely be on the lookout and carefully scrutinizing all white egrets.

Thanks to all for chiming in and providing good clues for ID.

Jeff J Jones

Apr 30, 2013, 10:26:11 AM4/30/13
to ner...@comcast.net, Ira Sanders, cob...@googlegroups.com

Oh! Sorry – I missed that distinction Norm. To be clear, I saw two plumes off the top of the head.

Jeff J Jones

(jjo...@jonestc.com)

Teller County - 8500' - Montane Woodlands

David Elwonger

Apr 30, 2013, 2:46:36 PM4/30/13
to jjo...@jonestc.com, r-ho...@comcast.net, cob...@googlegroups.com
no white Egret at Rice's Pond at 9a Tue. :(
Dave

From: JJo...@JonesTC.com
To: r-ho...@comcast.net; cob...@googlegroups.com

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 08:24:28 -0600