[ANN] 0.6.0 Beta of Counterclockwise

Laurent PETIT

Jan 19, 2012, 9:07:26 AM1/19/12
to counterclockwise, clojuredev-users
Hello,

A beta version for CCW 0.6.0 has been pushed in the new betas update site: http://ccw.cgrand.net/updatesite-betas/

You can see a detailed list of bug fixes/enhancements here:

http://code.google.com/p/counterclockwise/issues/list?q=label:next

Highlights on the future 0.6.0:
- bug fixes, alot
- use of Clojure 1.3, internally
- steps towards simplification of ccw hacking/building,
- smart paste in string literals when in editor strict mode (paste a bunch of XML content, get the double quotes automatically escaped)
- automatically send repl content if cursor at the end of the repl input editor, *and* its content is well formed clojure
- etc.

Any help to test this version before releasing a stable version appreciated,

Cheers,

--
Laurent

Laurent PETIT

Jan 25, 2012, 4:14:12 PM1/25/12
to counterclockwise, clojuredev-users
Ok, so far I have seen 14 downloads of the BETA, included probably a couple from me.
Even if I had hoped more testers, I'd still be interested in hearing from the dozen people who took the risk to try it out :)

So please, let me know. You don't need to find a problem to speak. Not having problems is a good indicator too!

Thanks,

-- Laurent

Warren Strange

Jan 26, 2012, 1:59:01 PM1/26/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojuredev-users

Hi Laurent

I downloaded it this morning.

One thing that I have noticed (that was not there before) is some "laggy" behavior.  The IDE seems to be slower and sometimes pauses. Not sure if this is because you have more debugging turned on?

Warren

Warren Strange

Jan 26, 2012, 3:13:09 PM1/26/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com

Reposting.. not sure if this made it or not...

One thing I have noticed  (that was not there before) is some "laggy" behavior in the IDE. The beta seems to be slower than the previous version

Laurent PETIT

Jan 27, 2012, 12:09:49 PM1/27/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, counterclockwise
Hi all, thanks for the feedback.

A Beta 2 is on its way, but I've been a little bit sick yesterday, so couldn't achieve its release as I first intended.

2012/1/27 hgreen <hhg...@ieee.org>
It's been working excellently for me on Eclipse 3.7.1. It installed and came right up without a fuss, and has been well-behaved ever since.

I encountered the smart paste for strings almost immediately after I installed it. I kind of knew it was there already, but it was still a bit of a pleasant surprise to suddenly "discover" it. Nice!

By the way, this feature will have a preferences starting with beta 2, will be usable both from "default/unrestricted" and "strict/paredit" modes, and will be off by default.

Cheers,

-- Laurent

Howard

Laurent PETIT

Feb 9, 2012, 10:38:21 AM2/9/12
to counterclockwise, clojuredev-users
Beta 2 of CCW 0.6.0 has been released.

The big change you will immediately see is the revamp of syntax coloration.
It uses less colors by default, and sticks to the colors already used by default in the Java Editor.
Rainbow parens are now optional.
Lots of configuration possibilities in the Syntax Coloration Preference page. You can have the old coloration back if you want, it's configuration is a subset of the new configuration possibilities.

Improves / fixes Beta 1 :
- Add preferences support for escape on paste in string literals + remove the adherance to the strict mode
- REPLView: add message hint in the top right corner of the input area (a preference enables you to show/hide this message)
- add support for changing fonts in REPL view source viewers
- Rainbow parens are now optional + command to switch back/forth rainbow parens display  ( Ctrl+( on Windows/Linux, Cmd+( on Mac)
- Syntax coloration: added missing preferences (missing tokens, 'callable' positions, rainbow parens)

Feedback expected,

Cheers,

-- Laurent

2012/1/19 Laurent PETIT <lauren...@gmail.com>
Hello,

Eric Springer

Feb 10, 2012, 5:40:04 AM2/10/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojuredev-users
It seems really quite good, so I can't provide too much constructive feedback. I guess one thing that could've been a bit more prominently displayed, would be adding a new file. The way I found it was right clicking on "src", then going "other" and then "clojure file".  It's not a big deal, but having "Clojure File" the first option when adding a file to a clojure project would give a better first impression. And maybe it's worth considering having a new project come with a default file.

I really like the strict/structural mode -- but I didn't find a way of toggling between it (other than setting the preference, for new editors opened). It'd also be nice if the hotkeys could be displayed (and changed?) from within eclipse

Anyway, fantastic work. Keep it up

Laurent PETIT

Feb 10, 2012, 6:10:18 AM2/10/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com
Hi Warren, sorry, again this weird thing that "moderation awaiting" notifications don't seem to be sent to me on a regular basis, will do smthing about it.

Would you please try the Beta2 I just pushed, see if you still notice laggy behavior, and if you can find a start for what could explain the lag or be the origin of the lag.

Laurent PETIT

Feb 10, 2012, 6:12:35 AM2/10/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojuredev-users
Hello Eric,

2012/2/10 Eric Springer <ericws...@gmail.com>

It seems really quite good, so I can't provide too much constructive feedback. I guess one thing that could've been a bit more prominently displayed, would be adding a new file. The way I found it was right clicking on "src", then going "other" and then "clojure file".  It's not a big deal, but having "Clojure File" the first option when adding a file to a clojure project would give a better first impression. And maybe it's worth considering having a new project come with a default file.

Oh yeah, this is related to the fact that your Java perspective needs to be refreshed so that you'll see the commands without having to dig deep into Others ... => Window > Refresh perspective

I really like the strict/structural mode -- but I didn't find a way of toggling between it (other than setting the preference, for new editors opened). It'd also be nice if the hotkeys could be displayed (and changed?) from within eclipse

You can toggle between it either by double clicking on the status report in the status bar, either by hitting Alt + D (D like "Default mode")

Anyway, fantastic work. Keep it up

Thanks for the kind words,

Laurent

Eric Springer

Feb 10, 2012, 6:24:16 PM2/10/12

On Friday, February 10, 2012 10:12:35 PM UTC+11, laurent.petit wrote:

Oh yeah, this is related to the fact that your Java perspective needs to be refreshed so that you'll see the commands without having to dig deep into Others ... => Window > Refresh perspective

Thanks, the problem turned out to be I had the "Resources" perspective rather than the Java one. I'm pretty sure it just defaulted to that (this is a clean install of eclipse). Since it's not obvious that the Java one needs to be used for Clojure, maybe it's possible to automatically switch?

You can toggle between it either by double clicking on the status report in the status bar, either by hitting Alt + D (D like "Default mode")

Nice, I actually tried double-clicking the status report -- but I (falsely) assumed it didn't work, as the text didn't change. Now I see it uses "Stru" for both strict mode and not. May I suggest using something like "Strict" and "Struct" so you don't need to hover over it to see what mode?

Chas Emerick

Feb 11, 2012, 5:23:22 PM2/11/12
to counterclockwise
Been running Beta 2 (with my REPL enhancements on top), looks good so far.

I noticed some issues in the rendering of the REPLView input area hint.  It's pretty minor, but I think the fix is worth it for the polish.

Bug filed, fix pushed to my '322' branch:

If someone could test it on OS X pre-Lion, that'd be good (the scrollbars are different between 10.6 and 10.7, which might be something we need to take into consideration).

Cheers,

- Chas

Laurent PETIT

Feb 12, 2012, 4:48:32 AM2/12/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com
Integrated.

I'm on Lion too, so if somebody with a pre-Lion could test once BETA 3 is out, that'd be great, thx.

Laurent PETIT

Feb 12, 2012, 4:56:29 AM2/12/12
2012/2/11 Eric Springer <ericws...@gmail.com>

On Friday, February 10, 2012 10:12:35 PM UTC+11, laurent.petit wrote:

Oh yeah, this is related to the fact that your Java perspective needs to be refreshed so that you'll see the commands without having to dig deep into Others ... => Window > Refresh perspective

Thanks, the problem turned out to be I had the "Resources" perspective rather than the Java one. I'm pretty sure it just defaulted to that (this is a clean install of eclipse). Since it's not obvious that the Java one needs to be used for Clojure, maybe it's possible to automatically switch?

It's on in the philosophy of Eclipse to do this kind of things on behalf of the user.

However, having a proper "Welcome Page" with suggestions to switch (and/or reset) perspectives is on the table, just currently not high in priority.

You can toggle between it either by double clicking on the status report in the status bar, either by hitting Alt + D (D like "Default mode")

Nice, I actually tried double-clicking the status report -- but I (falsely) assumed it didn't work, as the text didn't change. Now I see it uses "Stru" for both strict mode and not. May I suggest using something like "Strict" and "Struct" so you don't need to hover over it to see what mode?

Starting with Beta2, the labels have been changed:
"Edit mode: unrestricted" for what was "Structural edition: default mode"
and
"Edit mode: strict/paredit" for what was "Structural edition: Strict"

Now that I see that when one shrinks Eclipse's Window, only the beginning and the end of the label is shown, I'll change this as such:

"unrestricted edit mode" and "strict/paredit edit mode"