jQuery SmartWizard 2

Stephen M

Mar 20, 2012, 1:09:22 AM3/20/12
to cfaussie
I am trying to fit a jQuery SmartWizard 2 onto a fusebox coldfusion
page.

https://github.com/mstratman/jQuery-Smart-Wizard

This wizard is a tab interface with validation so that you cannot move
to the second tab without completimng the first correctly.

It was working perfectly in plain old HTML, even a plain cfm page, but
when I moved it onto Fusebox the next and tab buttons started doing
strange things.

The tabs are just <LI> tags that look like this

The problem is that in fusebox a click on a tab takes you straight to
the domain home page,
eg the wizard might be on http://www.mydomain.com/applications/userdetails.cfm
but when I click a tab I go to http://www.mydomain.com/#step-2 ie
back to the main page of the website

Anyone here using jQuery in Fusebox?

Steve Onnis

Mar 20, 2012, 1:18:32 AM3/20/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com
This wont be a Fuzebox issue. I would check your js libraries are being
included properly first

https://github.com/mstratman/jQuery-Smart-Wizard

Stephen M

Mar 20, 2012, 1:44:20 AM3/20/12
to cfaussie

On Mar 20, 4:18 pm, "Steve Onnis" <st...@cfcentral.com.au> wrote:
> This wont be a Fuzebox issue.  I would check your js libraries are being
> included properly first

I couldn't get as far as I do if they weren't loading. The Next and
Prev vbuttons are created by the javascript and inspectElement
confirms that they are the same as in a static HTML page.

Peter Robertson

Mar 20, 2012, 1:46:48 AM3/20/12
to cfaussie
Yep, using jQuery without issue.

What version of Fusebox?
Fusebox composes content and delivers it as index.cfm in your app root
(or another nominated single file).
This means that regardless of the path to the resources within your
app structure, the server sees everything as being index.cfm.
So check that references to css files, js libs etc all make this
assumption.

If this isn't the issue then I'd need to know more about your
particular app structure and how you're calling your resources.

Peter Robertson

On Mar 20, 4:09 pm, Stephen M <sgmul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to fit a jQuery SmartWizard 2 onto a fusebox coldfusion
> page.
>
> https://github.com/mstratman/jQuery-Smart-Wizard
>
> This wizard is a tab interface with validation so that you cannot move
> to the second tab without completimng the first correctly.
>
> It was working perfectly in plain old HTML, even a plain cfm page, but
> when I moved it onto Fusebox the next and tab buttons started doing
> strange things.
>
> The tabs are just <LI> tags that look like this

> The problem is that in fusebox a click on a tab takes you straight to
> the domain home page,
> eg the wizard might be onhttp://www.mydomain.com/applications/userdetails.cfm
> but when I click a tab I go tohttp://www.mydomain.com/#step-2 ie

Stephen M

Mar 20, 2012, 2:11:15 AM3/20/12
to cfaussie
I have used/am using other jQuery stuff like a UI DatePicker without
any issues, it's just this tabbed interface which relies on internal
page links that has spat the dummy. I've made sure that any # symbols
for the hrefs are not inside cfoutput tags.

I have developed another page in parallel using jQuery UI tabs and
that suffers from the same problem to a lesser extent.

On Mar 20, 4:46 pm, Peter Robertson <peter.r.robert...@gmail.com>

Steve Onnis

Mar 20, 2012, 2:14:08 AM3/20/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com
Silly question.....do you have a <base> tag in your HTML?

Mar 20, 2012, 2:30:31 AM3/20/12
to cfaussie

On Mar 20, 5:14 pm, "Steve Onnis" <st...@cfcentral.com.au> wrote:
> Silly question.....do you have a <base> tag in your HTML?

Yes, this fusebox is actually Straker Shado version 6, based on CF6.
Its got a base defined, so one of first thing I did was try to reset
it for this page, didn't work.

ColdGen Internet Solutions

Mar 20, 2012, 2:33:14 AM3/20/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com
Is it the "#step..." ? Maybe try ##step... if it in a CFML page.

Peter Tilbrook
Web Administrator, The Club Group Pty. Ltd.
Managing Director, ColdGen Internet Solutions
Professional Adobe ColdFusion 9 Application Development
President, ACT and Region ColdFusion Users Group
PO Box 2247
Queanbeyan, NSW, 2620
AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61-2-6104-9981
Mob: +61-2-0457-449-016

Email Address: peter.t...@tilbrook.name
WWW: http://www.coldgen.com/
WWW2: http://www.clubgroup.com.au/
Twitter: @ColdGen

ABN: 80 826 226 128

Stephen M

Mar 20, 2012, 2:57:52 AM3/20/12
to cfaussie

On Mar 20, 5:33 pm, ColdGen Internet Solutions
<ColdGen.Internet.Soluti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it the "#step..." ? Maybe try ##step... if it in a CFML page.

I tried that, it didn't make any difference.

> Peter Tilbrook
> Web Administrator, The Club Group Pty. Ltd.
> Managing Director, ColdGen Internet Solutions
> Professional Adobe ColdFusion 9 Application Development
> President, ACT and Region ColdFusion Users Group
> PO Box 2247
> Queanbeyan, NSW, 2620
> AUSTRALIA
>
> Tel: +61-2-6104-9981
> Mob: +61-2-0457-449-016
>
> Email Address: peter.tilbr...@tilbrook.name

Steve Onnis

Mar 20, 2012, 3:15:41 AM3/20/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com
Is there a test page you can show us?

Peter Robertson

Mar 20, 2012, 5:24:22 AM3/20/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com
Well, hadn't used this widget, so I put together a minimal fusebox5.5 and can't find any problem, works a treat, and I like the wizard.
I'd need to see some code, or just guessing from here on.
I'd suggest you find the simplest setup that'll reproduce the issue and share it on the list.

Peter Robertson

charlie arehart

Mar 20, 2012, 11:36:36 AM3/20/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com
Stephen, I haven't seen anyone suggest this yet: are you using a tool like
Firebug, Fiddler, or Charles? Such tools can show the communications back
and forth from your browser to the server. It could be that it's trying to
access a file that it doesn't find. Such tools can identify such errors,
which the browser (and your JS code) might otherwise hide or ignore. It
could also be finding a wrong version, though that's of course harder to
tell, but at at least the tools

I list tools like the above in a category of my CF411 site, specifically at
http://www.cf411.com/proxy. Note that I list also how more modern browsers
now have such tools built-in, so not even something you have to "add", if
that's a concern.

Let us know if such tools may help you.

/charlie

Stephen M

Mar 20, 2012, 6:20:45 PM3/20/12
to cfaussie
On Mar 20, 8:24 pm, Peter Robertson <pe...@p-robertson.com> wrote:
> Well, hadn't used this widget, so I put together a minimal fusebox5.5 and
> can't find any problem, works a treat, and I like the wizard.
> I'd need to see some code, or just guessing from here on.
> I'd suggest you find the simplest setup that'll reproduce the issue and
> share it on the list.
>
> Peter Robertson

Yeah, I'll try that

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Stephen M <sgmul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to fit a jQuery SmartWizard 2 onto a fusebox coldfusion
> > page.
>
> >https://github.com/mstratman/jQuery-Smart-Wizard
>
> > This wizard is a tab interface with validation so that you cannot move
> > to the second tab without completimng the first correctly.
>
> > It was working perfectly in plain old HTML, even a plain cfm page, but
> > when I moved it onto Fusebox the next and tab buttons started doing
> > strange things.
>
> > The tabs are just <LI> tags that look like this

> > The problem is that in fusebox a click on a tab takes you straight to
> > the domain home page,
> > eg the wizard might be on
> >http://www.mydomain.com/applications/userdetails.cfm
> > but when I click a tab I go tohttp://www.mydomain.com/#step-2 ie

Andrew Scott

Mar 20, 2012, 6:26:33 PM3/20/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com
My guess would be that the container for the content, doesn't or hasn't been set up correctly.

For example you have

But do you have the container for this with the id step-2?

--
Regards,
Andrew Scott

Stephen M

Mar 20, 2012, 8:18:17 PM3/20/12
to cfaussie
On Mar 21, 9:26 am, Andrew Scott <andr...@andyscott.id.au> wrote:
> My guess would be that the container for the content, doesn't or hasn't
> been set up correctly.
>
> For example you have

> But do you have the container for this with the id step-2?
Yes, I've got a div with that id. I had an idea to hard code a fully
realised url into the href, but the js behind this wizard seems to
require that the href values match ids.

Stephen M

Mar 21, 2012, 2:30:24 AM3/21/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:24:22 PM UTC+11, Peter Robertson wrote:
Well, hadn't used this widget, so I put together a minimal fusebox5.5 and can't find any problem, works a treat, and I like the wizard.
I'd need to see some code, or just guessing from here on.
I'd suggest you find the simplest setup that'll reproduce the issue and share it on the list.

Peter Robertson

This fusebox version is really, really old, probably version 3.  I just tried a simple internal pagelink on another simpler page without the jQuery and it suffered from the same problem.  Funny but I never had a reason to use an internal page link in this app before.

So, I'm just going to launch a new window and run the jQuery wizard in that, or rewrite the js file to avoid the use of href

charlie arehart

Mar 21, 2012, 6:40:14 PM3/21/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com
So are you saying the problem is resolved? Or is it still outstanding? And
if the latter, did you see my note suggesting something that may help you
spot a possible cause? Here's the link on google groups, if the attachment
here doesn't get through:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cfaussie/pFyvTXV9AaY/eal1wsnju9gJ

/charlie

Stephen M

Mar 22, 2012, 10:13:41 PM3/22/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com
 OK, I have created a test page. The problem isn't caused by the jQuery wizard so I created this test page which has contains an internal page link, lots of Lorem Ipsum junk text, then the target of the internal link.

http://www.roymorgan.com/hidden/test.cfm

As you will see, when you click the link you will go back to www.roymorgan.com.  Internal page links will not work anywhere on the site and that jQuery wizard depends on them

This is an ancient site, Straker Shadomx 6 released in about 2003 which I think is based on fusebox 3.  The best solution is to get a whole new CMS but that's not going to happen.

Steve Onnis

Mar 22, 2012, 10:32:03 PM3/22/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com

Like i said from the start.  It is nothing wrong with the javascript or fuzebox.  It is the application itself.  There is a<base> tag in your code which has this...

<base href="http://www.roymorgan.com/">

This means any relative pathed hyperlink will be absolute from whatever the base href value is.  This is why the url is linking back to http://www.roymorgan.com/#bottom

Also, you have no target for that anchor to link to anyway on that page and your html is malformed.  At the bottom of the page you have this...

<P id=bottom style="font-weight:bold;">Test Target</A></P>

Steve

 OK, I have created a test page. The problem isn't caused by the jQuery wizard so I created this test page which has contains an internal page link, lots of Lorem Ipsum junk text, then the target of the internal link.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cfaussie/-/gTqjBJy_858J.

charlie arehart

Mar 22, 2012, 10:37:33 PM3/22/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com

Stephen, the target line HTML shows this:

<P id=bottom style="font-weight:bold;">Test Target</A></P>

Do you notice the ending </A> tag, with no corresponding opening? Was there perhaps previously an <A NAME=”bottom”> after the opening P tag and before “Test Target”? That would normally have been the target of an anchor link like that #bottom, and it seems perhaps it was there but was deleted (without removing the closing A tag). Yes, I do see that the P tag has an id of “bottom” as well. I don’t know if that should be reachable by an anchor (might want to quote it, just to be safe), but if you pop an a name in there and it works, would that suffice as a solution for you?

/charlie

 OK, I have created a test page. The problem isn't caused by the jQuery wizard so I created this test page which has contains an internal page link, lots of Lorem Ipsum junk text, then the target of the internal link.

Stephen M

Mar 22, 2012, 11:13:59 PM3/22/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, March 23, 2012 1:37:33 PM UTC+11, charlie arehart wrote:

Stephen, the target line HTML shows this:

<P id=bottom style="font-weight:bold;">Test Target</A></P>

Do you notice the ending </A> tag, with no corresponding opening? Was there perhaps previously an <A NAME=”bottom”> after the opening P tag and before “Test Target”? That would normally have been the target of an anchor link like that #bottom, and it seems perhaps it was there but was deleted (without removing the closing A tag). Yes, I do see that the P tag has an id of “bottom” as well. I don’t know if that should be reachable by an anchor (might want to quote it, just to be safe), but if you pop an a name in there and it works, would that suffice as a solution for you?

That was a typo, I've fixed it.  The inline editor oftens removes the quotes around tag attribute values as well.

Reagrding what Steve said about the base tag, I hjave tried resetting it with both a the HTML <base> tag and the <cfheader> tage but it makes no difference,

I don't want the reset it for the whole site.

/charlie

Stephen M

Mar 22, 2012, 11:20:26 PM3/22/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, March 23, 2012 2:13:59 PM UTC+11, Stephen M wrote:

On Friday, March 23, 2012 1:37:33 PM UTC+11, charlie arehart wrote:

Stephen, the target line HTML shows this:

<P id=bottom style="font-weight:bold;">Test Target</A></P>

Do you notice the ending </A> tag, with no corresponding opening? Was there perhaps previously an <A NAME=”bottom”> after the opening P tag and before “Test Target”? That would normally have been the target of an anchor link like that #bottom, and it seems perhaps it was there but was deleted (without removing the closing A tag). Yes, I do see that the P tag has an id of “bottom” as well. I don’t know if that should be reachable by an anchor (might want to quote it, just to be safe), but if you pop an a name in there and it works, would that suffice as a solution for you?

The trailing </a>  was a typo, I've fixed it and added a name attribute. The jQuery wizard only has id values as the target so that why I did that.  Although the wizard is doing extra processing before it goes to the target.

The inline editor oftens removes the quotes around tag attribute values as well.

Regarding what Steve said about the base tag, I have tried resetting it with both a the HTML <base> tag and the <cfheader> tag but it makes no difference,

I don't want the reset it for the whole site.

Steve Onnis

Mar 23, 2012, 4:28:48 AM3/23/12
to cfau...@googlegroups.com

you cant reset it like that.  Maybe you can use some JS to reset the value.  That or put a full absolute path into the href so you get the full URL.  I doubt the javascript will like it though.  In any case, if the javascript for the tabs was working correctly then click on the tab would not fire the href anyway.  It should be cancelling the event and displaying the next tab if that is what its function is.

In any case, that <base> tag is your problem so you will have to correct that to get it to click to the anchor properly.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cfaussie/-/NORbGbCQslkJ.