Debian package, Ubuntu version

Hugh Barnard

May 9, 2012, 8:13:45 AM5/9/12
to ccl...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Had a off-line conversation this morning about error messages from the current package on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty. cclite currently chooses a default web root in /var/www and apparently this is no longer good practice.

I'm currently testing the package on 10.04 LTS and it hasn't given me these errors. However, the package is not official repository quality and this is emphasised somewhat in the manual.

I will look at this, at some stage, however it does add to complexity [manual or extra step for web root + a little extra scripting to build a custom apache config to suit the chosen root, more things to go wrong etc. etc.] so it goes a little against the 'fire and forget' that would be nice for the deb package.

Best regards Hugh

--
http://www.hughbarnard.org
http://www.twitter.com/hughbarnard

HeresTomWithTheWeather

May 10, 2012, 1:28:09 AM5/10/12
to ccl...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the info.  i have installed on two ubuntu systems (including 10.04.2 LTS) and on both i'm not able to click on the cgi-bin links.

-tom

Hugh Barnard

May 10, 2012, 3:05:25 AM5/10/12
to ccl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom

Two or three things:

1. Is Apache running and the site [which the install scripting should install] cclite.private.server enabled and running?

2. If Apache is running, take a look at the Apache logs [access and error] which should be in /var/log/apache2

3. Is cclite.private.server added to the hosts file? The Apache virtual server configuration which is in /etc/apache2/sites-available and linked to in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled listens for this, rather than localhost.

4. The main part of the installed package should be in /usr/share/cclite at this stage.

Best regards Hugh

Tom Brown

May 10, 2012, 3:59:13 AM5/10/12
to ccl...@googlegroups.com
thanks. my problem was that i wasn't using cclite.private.server (and also i was attempting to connect to the site from another system).

-tom

Hugh Barnard

May 10, 2012, 4:26:12 AM5/10/12
to ccl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom, folks

The debian package and the REST interface are work-in-progress, so any comments when you're further on, are very useful.

best regards Hugh

cyberdoo78

Nov 3, 2012, 7:15:17 AM11/3/12
to ccl...@googlegroups.com
Ubuntu changed the libdigest-sha1-perl package to libdigest-sha-perl, or at least that's the closest I can find namewise.

cyberdoo78

Nov 6, 2012, 7:44:47 AM11/6/12
to ccl...@googlegroups.com
First my test system is running Ubuntu 12.04 using the 3.2.0-32-generic-pae kernel. The current deb package is a bust because it requires the libdigest-sha1-perl package which has been removed in favor of the libdigest-sha-perl package. In order to get this to work currently, we need to change the dependency requirement of the libdigest-sha1-perl package to the libdigest-sha-perl package.

Using the attached videbcontrol file we can quickly drop the '1' from the package file so as to get the package to install. I created the file in the same directory as the .deb file.

To get the videbcontrol file to work, you'll have to open up a terminal window and type:
chmod a+x videbcontrol
Then the command is(currently, your filename may differ):
./videbcontrol cclite-0.9.0-13-gf78030d_i386.deb
This will bring up the vim text editor. We need to find this line:
Depends: apache2,perl,libdigest-sha1-perl,libdbi-perl,libwww-perl,libnet-perl,gammu,libxml-rss-perl,libxml-simple-perl
Change the libdigest-sha1-perl to  libdigest-sha-perl and then type :wq and hit enter. The script will then rebuild the deb file and save it as cclite-0.9.0-13-gf78030d_i386.modified.deb or something similar with a 'modified' before the .deb.

To install I use the package gdebi, since it will install all the needed dependencies  Both apt-get and dpkg won't grab the dependencies and the 'Ubuntu Software Center' is too bloated for my tastes.

A couple of other changes need to be made with the configuration file for cclite. The default file locations won't work, they assume you installed cclite into a home user account, which maybe the case for some people using hosted options, so you'll have to change from 'simple' configure options to 'All Options' and change the directory option so they match your system options.

Once you have the configuration setup, you can follow the remainder of the instructions in the installation and setup guide.

hugh.b...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2012, 8:49:20 AM11/6/12
to ccl...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, 6 November 2012 12:44:47 UTC, cyberdoo78 wrote:
First my test system is running Ubuntu 12.04 using the 3.2.0-32-generic-pae kernel. The current deb package is a bust because it requires the libdigest-sha1-perl package which has been removed in favor of the libdigest-sha-perl package. In order to get this to work currently, we need to change the dependency requirement of the libdigest-sha1-perl package to the libdigest-sha-perl package.

Thanks for this, I'm a little snowed under at present but I'll re-build the package and upload to sourceforge fairly shortly, within a couple of weeks or so.
Meanwhile I'll put this into the news items...

[...]

Thanks, can you specify which file locations didn't work for you? A little while ago, we did a couple deb installs on a 'fresh' machine and it looked pretty good...