BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-4 Released

Fred Dixon

Mar 6, 2012, 12:22:42 PM3/6/12
to BigBlueButton-dev, bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com, BigBlueButton-users
The BigBlueButton core development team is pleased to announce the release of BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-4.

We've been developing and testing 0.8-beta-4 for over three months now.  We want to thank everyone on this mailing list who has given us feedback, recorded issues, and helped test the earlier betas.   We recommend you update your servers to beta-4.

For a list of what's new in 0.8-beta-4, see:

For installation/upgrade instructions for 0.8-beta-4:

For download and setup of the BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-4 Virtual Machine:

All the core development in BigBlueButton 0.8 has now been completed.  You can see the remaining issues here:

We expect this to be the last beta for 0.8.  Going forward, until we release 0.8 final, we'll be fixing any remaining items, testing, and periodically updating the public repository.   In this way, we can close out any remaining issues and get the fixes to you quickly.

We release on quality, not dates.  To help us reach 0.8 final -- and to make sure it's a quality release -- you can help by setting up a BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-4 server (or download the VM), test it with a group of users, and post the results of your tests to this mailing list.   These posts will greatly help us resolve any remaining issues as we finish this development cycle.

We're looking forward to reading your feedback on testing 0.8-beta-4.

Regards,... Fred

--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Andrew Ensley

Mar 6, 2012, 5:13:14 PM3/6/12
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com, BigBlueButton-users
Great work as always!

I am having an issue now with the API that I didn't have before. Now, the create API call fails 100% of the time with an Internal Server Error 500. I do not have this issue with any other API calls, although I'm only using the create, join, and getMeetingInfo calls right now.

Here are the parameters I'm specifying for my create calls:
  • name (user's full name, only letters and spaces in my test scenarios)
  • meetingID (letters, numbers, and underscores only)
  • attendeePW (letters and numbers only)
  • moderatorPW (letters and numbers only)
  • voiceBridge (random number between 70000 and 79999)
  • welcome (letters, spaces, newlines, and one comma)
  • logoutURL (fully qualified URL)

What's interesting is that the meeting is actually created. So the next time I refresh my app interface, I am able to join the meeting. But creating always returns error 500.

I did remove bbb-demo when I first upgraded thanks to the new advice provided by bbb-conf. I thought that might have been the cause, so I reinstalled bbb-demo. The problem remains.

I'd be happy to provide further log information, etc. I just didn't know where to look.

Andrew

Fred Dixon

Mar 6, 2012, 5:17:53 PM3/6/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Quick point Andrew -- please don't cross post to all three groups in the future.  We'll help you here in setup.

Regards,... Fred

Andrew Ensley

Mar 6, 2012, 5:18:51 PM3/6/12
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com, BigBlueButton-users
Oops... clarification: for the welcome parameter, by newline, I meant in HTML.  I didn't realize it until after posting. So since those are "<br>", the welcome parameter has letters, spaces, <, >, and one comma.

Richard Alam

Mar 6, 2012, 5:54:17 PM3/6/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Andrew Ensley <awen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great work as always!
>
> I am having an issue now with the API that I didn't have before. Now, the
> create API call fails 100% of the time with an Internal Server Error 500. I
> do not have this issue with any other API calls, although I'm only using the
> create, join, and getMeetingInfo calls right now.
>
> Here are the parameters I'm specifying for my create calls:
>
> name (user's full name, only letters and spaces in my test scenarios)
> meetingID (letters, numbers, and underscores only)
> attendeePW (letters and numbers only)
> moderatorPW (letters and numbers only)
> voiceBridge (random number between 70000 and 79999)
> welcome (letters, spaces, newlines, and one comma)
> logoutURL (fully qualified URL)
>
> What's interesting is that the meeting is actually created. So the next time
> I refresh my app interface, I am able to join the meeting. But creating
> always returns error 500.
>
> I did remove bbb-demo when I first upgraded thanks to the new advice
> provided by bbb-conf. I thought that might have been the cause, so I
> reinstalled bbb-demo. The problem remains.
>
> I'd be happy to provide further log information, etc. I just didn't know
> where to look.

Thanks for giving us access to your server. The problem was that
demo.war did not deploy properly. We've seen this a few times and
it should have warned you when you ran bbb-conf --check

We just did "touch demo.war" to have tomcat auto-deploy it.

Please test again and let us know if it works for you now.

Richard

--
-----
BigBlueButton Developer

Fred Dixon

Mar 6, 2012, 7:47:45 PM3/6/12
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com, BigBlueButton-users
Answered in bigbluebutton-setup

In the future, please don't cross-post questions.

HostBBB.com

Mar 7, 2012, 10:15:27 AM3/7/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com, bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Great work as always,

I upgraded a beta3 to beta4 4 no problems on ec2,  needed to change sip to 127.0.0.1 and touch the war as instructed in bbb-conf --check.

Just finished a fresh install on bare metal server,   everything is working great, however

bbb-conf --check is  telling me.
** Potential problems described below **
# Error: The voice application failed to register with the sip server.

Even though audio. and esl working fine in listeners window?

So looks like bbb-conf check failed, but server working fine.

Regards,
Stephen

Fred Dixon

Mar 7, 2012, 10:27:47 AM3/7/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen,

The check for failed to register is actually doing a grep through the log files for bbb-apps-sip, so, if in the past if the error had occurred, you'll still see the warning from `sudo bbb-conf --check`.

We recommend doing a

   sudo bbb-conf --clean
   sudo bbb-conf --check

after upgrade to clean out all the log files.  This way, if you get the warning, it will be as a result of the current restart.

Let us know if you did a clean and it still gave you the warning.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Andrew E

Mar 7, 2012, 11:10:47 AM3/7/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

Thank you for your help.  Unfortunately, I'm still getting the HTTP 500 Internal Server Error only when using the create api call.

Should I restart the server?

Andrew

> bigbluebutton-setup+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup?hl=en.

Richard Alam

Mar 7, 2012, 11:19:12 AM3/7/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Andrew E <awen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Thank you for your help.  Unfortunately, I'm still getting the HTTP 500
> Internal Server Error only when using the create api call.
>
> Should I restart the server?

Did you restart the server? I go to
http://<your-server>/demo/demo1.jsp and it's working fine.

Richard

>> > bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com.

>> > bigbluebutton-s...@googlegroups.com.

>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup?hl=en.
>>
>> --
>> -----
>> BigBlueButton Developer
>> http://www.bigbluebutton.org
>> http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton
>

> --

> bigbluebutton-s...@googlegroups.com.

Richard Alam

Mar 7, 2012, 11:22:21 AM3/7/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Richard Alam <ritz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Andrew E <awen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> Thank you for your help.  Unfortunately, I'm still getting the HTTP 500
>> Internal Server Error only when using the create api call.
>>
>> Should I restart the server?
>
> Did you restart the server? I go to
> http://<your-server>/demo/demo1.jsp and it's working fine.

Weird...works on Firefox but not on Chrome. Can you please try with
different browsers?

Richard

Andrew Ensley

Mar 7, 2012, 12:18:58 PM3/7/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I'm calling the API from within my application code (PHP), so the browser doesn't make a difference for me. I just restarted the physical machine it's running on and then restarted BBB with bbb-conf --clean and the create call is still triggering a 500 error.

Andrew

>>> --
>>> -----
>>> BigBlueButton Developer
>>> http://www.bigbluebutton.org
>>> http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton
>>
>> --

>> bigbluebutton-setup+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup?hl=en.
>

> --
> -----
> BigBlueButton Developer
> http://www.bigbluebutton.org
> http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton

Fred Dixon

Mar 7, 2012, 12:22:11 PM3/7/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

Are you calling the API directly, or are you calling URL that uses one of the API demos (i.e. demo1.jsp) to login to the BigBlueButton server?

Can you post the code that you are using to call?   It would be very helpful if we can see how you are calling the API.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/bigbluebutton-setup/-/CiqVrlRt4ZwJ.

Andrew Ensley

Mar 7, 2012, 12:22:47 PM3/7/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
However, I did just try demos 1 through 3, and they all initially fail for me no matter what browser I'm using.  And after the initial failure, I'm able to go back and join again without error (because the meeting is already created).

Andrew Ensley

Mar 7, 2012, 1:52:40 PM3/7/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Fred very much for your help on this issue.  As always, the BigBlueButton team came through.

It turns out the new Default Presentation feature (and my modification of it) was the culprit.  Deleting the value of:
beans.presentationService.defaultUploadedPresentation=
in:
/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties

was causing it. I apologize for not bringing that modification up. I had forgotten I made it. Is there a correct way to not have a default presentation for meetings? We don't have any use for that particular feature.

Again, great work on beta 4!

Andrew

HostBBB.com

Mar 7, 2012, 4:51:19 PM3/7/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Fred,  Thanks that did the trick bbb-clean removed the error.

Stephen

JarrodJay

Mar 8, 2012, 12:09:29 AM3/8/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Great job on the beta4 release!

When running bbb-conf --check, I get a FreeSWITCH error, telling me to rectify the error by running "bbb-conf --setfreeswitchip 127.0.0.1". However, it seems that --setfreeswitchip isn't a valid argument for bbb-conf.
The error isn't a problem. It was simply needing to change the SIP server IP. Just wanted to point out the non-existant argument.

Thanks again, for an amazing product!

Jarrod.

Fred Dixon

Mar 8, 2012, 12:16:06 AM3/8/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jarrod,

Thanks for the feedback.  We'll be fixing these items as we enter the final stretch towards the 0.8 release.

Regards,... Fred