How to Uninstall and Reinstall

DanJ

Oct 14, 2012, 7:11:20 AM10/14/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've completely messed up when installing on Ubuntu. I got a mix of installing 7.1 and 8.0, which I then tried to delete. I now seem to have an installation with no bbb-conf. Is there a way to uninstall both 7.1 and 8.0 so that I can start again?

Thank you.
DanJ

Fred Dixon

Oct 14, 2012, 7:59:27 AM10/14/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

You can do the following

1.  Uninstall all of the BigBlueButton packages.

You can see all the package names

   dpkg -l | grep bbb

To uninstall a given package, do

   sudo apt-get purge <package_name>

2.  Uninstall Asterisk or FreeSWITCH (depending on which you have installed)

Again, use the apt-get purge command.

3.  Reboot your machine

4.  Follow the instructions for installation of a new server

5.  Post here if you have any problems.

:-)

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

DanJ

ARTUR HENRIQUE WELP

Jan 17, 2019, 7:53:29 AM1/17/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
For future reference. Uninstalling the bbb-* apps is not enough.
There are hundreds of configurations files that will have same kind of conflict on your next installation.

1. Uninstall all of the BigBlueButton packages.

dpkg -l | grep bbb | cut -d' ' -f3

apt-get purge bbb-apps bbb-apps-akka bbb-apps-screenshare bbb-apps-sip bbb-apps-video bbb-apps-video-broadcast bbb-client bbb-config bbb-freeswitch-core bbb-freeswitch-sounds bbb-fsesl-akka bbb-html5 bbb-mkclean bbb-playback-presentation bbb-record-core bbb-red5 bbb-swftools bbb-transcode-akka bbb-web bbb-webrtc-sfu bigbluebutton

2.  Uninstall Asterisk or FreeSWITCH (depending on which you have installed)

Again, use the apt-get purge command.

3. Remove the configuration files for the apps that BigBlueButton depends on

updatedb
locate red5
locate freeswitch
locate asterisk
locate tomcat
locate nginx

Take the file list and remove everithing (if this machine is dedicated to BigBlueButton).

In my case, would be someting like

rm -rf /etc/bigbluebutton/

rm -rf /var/lib/red5/
rm -rf /var/log/red5
rm -rf /var/cache/red5/
rm -rf /usr/share/red5/
rm -rf /usr/lib/systemd/system/red5.service
rm -rf /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/red5.service
rm -rf /etc/red5/

rm -rf /etc/nginx
rm -rf /var/lib/nginx/
rm -rf /var/log/nginx/
rm -rf /var/www/
rm -rf /usr/share/nginx/
rm -rf /usr/share/doc/nginx-core/
rm -rf /usr/share/doc/nginx-common/
rm -rf /usr/share/doc/nginx/
rm -rf /etc/rc0.d/K01nginx
rm -rf /etc/rc1.d/K01nginx
rm -rf /etc/rc2.d/S02nginx
rm -rf /etc/rc3.d/S02nginx
rm -rf /etc/rc4.d/S02nginx
rm -rf /etc/rc5.d/S02nginx
rm -rf /etc/rc6.d/K01nginx
rm -rf /etc/nginx/

rm -rf /opt/freeswitch

rm -rf /etc/tomcat7/
rm -rf /usr/share/tomcat7
rm -rf /var/lib/tomcat7
rm -rf /var/cache/tomcat7
rm -rf /var/log/tomcat7/

4.  Reboot your machine

5.  Follow the instructions for installation of a new server

   http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/InstallationUbuntu#1._Update_your_server

Fred Dixon

Jan 17, 2019, 4:14:35 PM1/17/19
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Arthur,

Thanks for sharing this -- it's our intent to add the ability to uninstall BigBlueButton to the bbb-install.sh script, see

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Vassilis K

May 4, 2020, 10:06:38 AM5/4/20
to BigBlueButton-Setup
I tried what Artur suggests, and it's still not enough for a complete uninstall (at least, in my case)

I have to install Ubuntu 16.04 again :(

Einhirn

May 25, 2020, 10:57:11 AM5/25/20
to BigBlueButton-Setup

Am Montag, 4. Mai 2020 16:06:38 UTC+2 schrieb Vassilis K:
I tried what Artur suggests, and it's still not enough for a complete uninstall (at least, in my case)

 I just learned a neat trick: You can simulate removal with "--simulate". So I guess doing that without the "--simulate"-Switch should take care of removing all the packages. If not, I'd call that a bug somewhere.

root@bbb-node:~# apt-get purge --autoremove --simulate bigbluebutton
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  bbb
-apps* bbb-apps-screenshare* bbb-apps-sip* bbb-apps-video* bbb-client*
  bbb
-config* bbb-freeswitch-core* bbb-freeswitch-sounds* bbb-fsesl-akka*
  bbb
-mkclean* bbb-playback-presentation* bbb-record-core* bbb-web*
  bigbluebutton
* fonts-lato* fonts-noto* fonts-noto-cjk* fonts-noto-hinted*
  fonts
-noto-mono* fonts-noto-unhinted* icu-devtools* javascript-common*
  libao
-common* libao4* libcurl3* libcurl4-openssl-dev* libgmp-dev*
  libgmpxx4ldbl
* libicu-dev* libjemalloc1* libjs-jquery* libldns1*
  liblua5
.2-0* libncurses5-dev* libopusenc0* libopusfile0* libruby2.3*
  libsox
-fmt-alsa* libsox-fmt-base* libsox2* libspeexdsp1* libsystemd-dev*
  libtinfo
-dev* libvorbisfile3* libxml2-dev* libxslt1-dev* libyaml-0-2*
  mencoder
* python3-bs4* python3-html5lib* python3-icu* python3-lxml* rake*
  redis
-server* redis-tools* ruby* ruby-dev* ruby-did-you-mean* ruby-minitest*
  ruby
-net-telnet* ruby-power-assert* ruby-test-unit* ruby2.3* ruby2.3-dev*
  rubygems
-integration* sox* unzip* vorbis-tools* zip* zlib1g-dev*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 70 to remove and 18 not upgraded.
[...]

bye
Einhirn