After configuring SSL bbb-conf --check doesn't end the checking process

DIARRA Sega Oumar

Apr 27, 2016, 5:04:28 PM4/27/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi all,

I've configured BBB to use SSL. After the configuration  BBB stuck on waiting for BigBlueButton to finish starting up. Also sudo bbb-conf --check doesn't finish all the checking process
here is the output http://pastebin.com/XBcRyvV1

i've double checked all the configuration steps. I'm unable to see any mistakes i've made.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards..

Fred Dixon

Apr 27, 2016, 5:15:10 PM4/27/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Diarra,

The check in bbb-conf is to see if BigBlueButton is responding to an API request.  It does something similar to

but you can still check to see if the SSL configuration works with nginx.

1.  Try restarting nginx

  sudo service nginx restart

Did you get an error?

2.  Try accessing the home page from nginx

Did it load?  If not, try checking the error logs for nginx

   /var/log/nginx/error.log

If (1) and (2) are working, you should be able to use the landing page to try joining a session.

3.  Try joining a session

If the above page does not load, check tomcat7 for errors on startup

  /var/log/tomcat7/catalina.out

If you can join the session but the client does not load, check red5 for errors

  usr/share/red5/log/error.log

Try the above and let us know how far you get.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

DIARRA Sega Oumar

Apr 27, 2016, 5:38:56 PM4/27/16
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred,
Thank you for the answer.

1. No error
2. I can get the home page only with http, https doesn't load and the /var/log/nginx/error.log is empty
3. I cannot join the session , do i have to install api demos?
in the /var/log/tomcat7/catalina.out file i can have only warnings and infos. May be this line is an error
SEVERE: The web application [/bigbluebutton] appears to have started a thread named [pool-5-thread-1] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory$

Regards....

Fred Dixon

Apr 27, 2016, 6:11:25 PM4/27/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Diarra,

> 1. No error

> 2. I can get the home page only with http, https doesn't load and the /var/log/nginx/error.log is empty

Double check the configuration for nginx, you should be able to open the BigBlueButton home page with your browser using HTTPS as it only talks to nginx to load the page.

Once you switch BigBlueButton configuration to HTTPS, if nginx isn't responding to HTTPS requests, it will block the loading and running of BigBlueButton.

Regards,... Fred

DIARRA Sega Oumar

Apr 28, 2016, 6:21:30 AM4/28/16
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred,

I checked the configuration for nginx still don't know where is the problem since i followed all the instructions. Nevertheless

using sudo cat >/etc/nginx/ssl/bigbluebutton.example.com.key <<'END'
I got bash permission denied. With some research i came up with
 sudo bash -c "cat >/etc/nginx/ssl/
bigbluebutton.example.com.key" <<'END'

also here is the output of file  /etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton

http://pastebin.com/fuJgAquA

Best regards..

DIARRA Sega Oumar

Apr 28, 2016, 1:04:02 PM4/28/16
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred,

Needed to add a new rule in my  NSG that allows traffic to port 443 ( BBB hosted in Azure). It works now.

Thank you

Fred Dixon

Apr 28, 2016, 1:31:14 PM4/28/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Diarra,

Glad to hear you got it working; however, you may want to reconsider hosting BigBlueButton on Azure. See

Regards,... Fred

DIARRA Sega Oumar

Apr 28, 2016, 1:38:55 PM4/28/16
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred,

Azure  has actually new features like assign public adress IP to VM ( no need to use ILPIP anymore), add range port (not limited to 150 anymore). You only have to deploy your VM using the new Resource Model deployment and do some configuration during the creation process. Anyway i will have a try and see the behavior of BBB inside Azure.

Regards.