Series and Issue

ljgarcia

Aug 20, 2012, 10:35:00 AM8/20/12
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am looking for an example on how to use bibo:Issue and bibo:Series. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

LJ

Bruce D'Arcus

Aug 20, 2012, 10:54:25 AM8/20/12
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM, ljgarcia <leyl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for an example on how to use bibo:Issue and bibo:Series. Any
> suggestions?

You'd use bibo:Issue if you want to model a periodical issue and its
constituent content (usually bibo:Article items). Same with
bibo:Series, except in that case you're often dealing with bibo:Book
items.

Bruce

> Thanks,
>
> LJ
>
> --
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/bibliographic-ontology-specification-group?hl=en.

ljgarcia

Aug 21, 2012, 5:49:03 AM8/21/12
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your response I understand better now. I also found an example about Series at http://bibliontology.com/content/complex-series-proceeding-article-use-case, it was useful too. However, I still have doubts about Issue, particularly the relation among Issue, Journal and Article

From the specification at http://bibotools.googlecode.com/svn/bibo-ontology/trunk/doc/index.html I understand that a Journal must have a dcterms:hasPart (dcterms:hasPart min 1 owl:Thing) and the range of hasPart can only be bibo:Issue (dcterms:hasPart only bibo:Issue) but not all journals have issues, sometimes they only have volumes. So, if I do not have an Issue, how can I relate an article with a journal? would it be :aJournal dcterms:hasPart :anArticle?

Cheers,

Leyla

On Monday, August 20, 2012 3:54:25 PM UTC+1, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM, ljgarcia <leyl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for an example on how to use bibo:Issue and bibo:Series. Any
> suggestions?

You'd use bibo:Issue if you want to model a periodical issue and its
constituent content (usually bibo:Article items). Same with
bibo:Series, except in that case you're often dealing with bibo:Book
items.

Bruce

> Thanks,
>
> LJ

Klee, Carsten

Oct 26, 2012, 4:22:03 AM10/26/12
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

Nobody answered till now? So I will. This is like I would connect an Article to a Journal/Series etc. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

<http://rwth-aachen.de/paper11/>          a          bibo:Article ;

                                                                         dcterms:partOf            <http://rwth-aachen.de/Vol-248/> .

<http://rwth-aachen.de/Vol-248/>           a          bibo:Issue ;

                                                                         bibo:volume                "248" ;

                                                                         dcterms:partOf            <http://rwth-aachen.de/CEUR-WS/> .

<http://rwth-aachen.de/CEUR-WS/>       a          bibio:Series .

There is no bibo:Volume but a bibo:Issue what makes it so confusing. But one can use the property bibo:Volume ("A volume number") with bibo:Issue. Is this correct?

Cheers!

Carsten

Carsten Klee
Abt. Überregionale Bibliographische Dienste IIE
Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin – Preußischer Kulturbesitz

Fon:  +49 30 266-43 44 02

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/bibliographic-ontology-specification-group/-/sIoZODOJegYJ.

ljgarcia

Dec 13, 2012, 4:44:14 AM12/13/12
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carsten

Thanks for your response.
Based on the examples, that is what I did. In the case of the journal, I still used bibo:Issue to connect it to the article, if no bibo:issue is available I just omit it.

Cheers,