Migrating to F2FS on the eMMC

Jean-Francois Gauthier

Jan 15, 2015, 5:39:18 PM1/15/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Is there a simple way to migrate from EXT4 to F2FS on the eMMC ?

Using the Debian beaglebone distribution.

It looks like a much better, faster and best suited for NAND based Flash memory filesystem.

Cheers,
Jean-Francois

Robert Nelson

Jan 15, 2015, 5:47:23 PM1/15/15
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Jean-Francois Gauthier
<noise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a simple way to migrate from EXT4 to F2FS on the eMMC ?
>
> Using the Debian beaglebone distribution.
>
> It looks like a much better, faster and best suited for NAND based Flash
> memory filesystem.

As long as you understand, u-boot can only read from a fat/ext partition.

Just create a 2 partition setup:

sudo sfdisk --in-order --Linux --unit M ${DISK} <<-__EOF__
1,48,0xE,*
,,,-
__EOF__

Create first "ext4" boot partition, in it you'll store zImage/dtbs

Then create your second "f2fs" rootfs partition.

Most here still applies:

https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black

Just adjust for the partition change and let us know how it works for you..

REgards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Jean-Francois Gauthier

Jan 15, 2015, 6:31:52 PM1/15/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Robert! I will post my results here in this thread :-)

Jean-Francois

Msantosh

May 4, 2015, 10:20:26 AM5/4/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Been struggling about to achieve this on BBB! Can't find too much information about it. Any help would be appreciated! I'm surely missing something!

- Been doing what i believe would help (does this make sense?)
Installed f2fs-tools, added f2fs modules to initramfs/modules and updated it
[After these steps i could actually create another partition (p3) format it as f2fs and mount it/use it]
Edited fstab to mount f2fs partition on boot and it was succesfully mounted on boot too.

- Been around the init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh:
Cant really understand the partition behaviour of the script. As i understand there are 2 ways of flashing - 1partition setup and 2partition setup.
I believe my flashing procedure is doing the 2 partition setup - i see mmcblk0p1 (fat) and mmcblk0p2 (ext4). However if i mount the p1 i dont see any uEnv in there:
App   Drivers  LICENSE.txt  README.md  System Volume Information  nfs-uEnv.txt
Docs  ID.txt   README.htm   START.htm  autorun.inf                scripts

Isn't the uEnv.txt supposed to be in that partition? I just find it at /boot/
Is it possible to implement the process of creating rootfs as f2fs in this script?

- As i was looking around the scripts i found the beaglebone-black-eMMC-flasher.sh which seems to have a behaviour much closer to what i want (mounts boot partition as /boot ) however if i try to run it i get "system unrecognized"

- Can anyone point any direction on how to put the rootfs on f2fs keeping the /boot on fat/ext4?

Thanks,

Regards
Msantosh

Robert Nelson

May 4, 2015, 10:29:25 AM5/4/15
to Beagle Board
Sure it's possible to "implement" it in that script. You'll have to
figure it out and submit a patch of course, as it doesn't do that out
of the box.

> - As i was looking around the scripts i found the
> beaglebone-black-eMMC-flasher.sh which seems to have a behaviour much closer
> to what i want (mounts boot partition as /boot ) however if i try to run it
> i get "system unrecognized"

That script is obsolete..

> - Can anyone point any direction on how to put the rootfs on f2fs keeping
> the /boot on fat/ext4?

Please follow the hint i gave here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/beagleboard/FbG1T6DQZDU/HWUA_0OBCegJ

Regards,