Open democratic national debate about US military bases and not secretive and conspiratorial manoeuvres

Allborn Equalrights

Aug 12, 2012, 11:02:02 AM8/12/12
to ba...@googlegroups.com

Armed Forces of the United States will not be establishing military bases in Australia to protect our interests! If conflict arises between the East and the West, Australia should be a neutral player that will help resolve or avert such a conflict and not to be a part of it.

Nana Akyea Mensah of Ghana argued that Africa should not align itself with NATO, AFRICOM, SCO (Shanghai Corporation Organization), the West nor the East:

In a fundamental matter such as this, that has serious implications on our status as an independent nation, that could even mean life or death to Ghanaians, as we have seen in the bombs that continue to fall on marriage ceremonies in Afghanistan, the minimum expectation ought to be an open democratic national debate and not secretive and conspiratorial manoeuvres”.

Australians should also be saying:

In a fundamental matter such as this, that has serious implications on our status as an independent nation, that could even mean life or death to Australians, the minimum expectation ought to be an open democratic national debate and not secretive and conspiratorial manoeuvres”.

Annette Brownlie

Aug 12, 2012, 6:45:39 PM8/12/12
to ba...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ray for sharing the opinion of Nana.....indeed we should be saying just the same.
We certainly are jeopardising peace in the pacific by cooperating with US push for confrontation with China. I think that we need to look for ways to counter the 70%support for the Alliance and hosting US forces here with efforts to connect the disastrous wars of Iraq and Afghanistan and Australian willingness to go ' all the way' with the USA.
We will be discussing these matters and the formation of an Australian coalition for an independent peaceful Australia tomorrow night at the Just Peace meeting.
Hope to see you there.
Annette

Annette Brownlie
0431597256

Ian Curr

Aug 12, 2012, 7:47:02 PM8/12/12
to ba...@googlegroups.com
Hello Annette,

For the people on this list, what are the details of the Just Peace meeting about ‘Australian coalition for an independent peaceful Australia’?

Had a quick look on my emails but could not find the details.

Regards,
Ian

Annette Brownlie

Aug 13, 2012, 12:16:29 AM8/13/12
to ba...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ian
I should have made clear that the meeting tomorrow night is a Just Peace committee meeting which is also open to members.
We have been working on this campaign since the announcement last november and are working with others nationally.
Will keep you informed.
Regards
Annette

Annette Brownlie