Unconference for Social Good Chiang Mai

Rob Burns

Jan 16, 2013, 9:05:24 PM1/16/13
to barcamp-c...@googlegroups.com
John Bardos is putting together an unconference for social good here in Chiang Mai next month. Details below.

Thanks
Rob

Unconference for Social Good Chiang Mai

February 23rd

Connecting Travelers, IT experts and Business Professionals with Non-Profit Organizations in S.E. Asia.

Join like minded professionals in a day of idea sharing, networking and collaboration to seek more effective ways of helping the most disadvantaged in the world.

Background

Business has undergone a major transformation in the last two decades. The dream of a couple people working on a startup in a garage and reaching the world has become more viable than ever. A laptop and internet connection are often the only ingredients necessary to bring world changing technologies to market.

The ethos of the start up and programming cultures are starting to have a massive impact on the social good sector as well. However, the culture of sharing, collaboration and the focus on action over planning are not widespread yet.

Attend the Unconference for Social Good in Chiang Mai to push the conversation further.

What can we do now to help alleviate the social problems that still exist in the world?

Find out more information and register at: http://usgcnx.eventbrite.com/

Keith Bennett

Jan 17, 2013, 12:14:45 AM1/17/13
to barcamp-c...@googlegroups.com
Rob, John -

I have a couple of contacts in Bangkok who are involved in social nonprofit work.  They are not really technical but might be able to benefit from learning about what tools are available, and possibly enlist some help with their work.  Do you think it might be beneficial for them to attend?

Thanks,
Keith

Paola Di Maio

Jan 17, 2013, 5:28:02 AM1/17/13
to barcamp-c...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Rob

please give the wiki or unconference page where we can enter our agenda (I may be in the region next month)

Also note, I do not know who is John, and the eventbrite page is password protected

not  suitable webpage for an unconference....

PDM

Michel Bauwens

Jan 17, 2013, 5:40:07 AM1/17/13
to barcamp-c...@googlegroups.com
wonderful,

I'll spread the word!

Michel

Paola Di Maio

Jan 17, 2013, 5:44:56 AM1/17/13
to ad...@unconferenceforsocialgood.com, barcamp-c...@googlegroups.com, WO...@googlegroups.com
Greeting John
cc WOICT, Asiacommons

we learn from Rob about your upcoming event below

Together with others  we organised the first unconference in Thailand *blogconthai in 2006

we had a wiki at some point

We are still in touch via this mailing list

Many of us are involved in unconferences  organising ans social good, and would  very much like to participate in your event!

we  practice the   core principles of unconferences organising and suggest to adopt an editable wiki for all participants to enter their topics and  other info they like to share with participants

can we help to organise the event and set up a wiki page?
any way you would like us to get involved>?

Look forward

best  PDM

Paola Di Maio

Jan 17, 2013, 6:00:04 AM1/17/13
to ad...@unconferenceforsocialgood.com, barcamp-c...@googlegroups.com, WO...@googlegroups.com
Ok, here it is :-)

http://usgcm2013.wikispaces.com/

send join request to become an administrator of this wiki page

Paola Di Maio

Jan 17, 2013, 9:01:10 AM1/17/13
to barcamp-c...@googlegroups.com
Not this John Bardo who may have evaded custody ? Just checking ... ;-)

Robert John Bardo
Robert John Bardo is an American man serving life imprisonment without parole after being convicted in October 1991 for the murder of actress Rebecca Schaeffer on July 18, 1989, whom he had stalked for three years beforehand. Wikipedia

Keith Bennett

Jan 18, 2013, 10:45:52 AM1/18/13
to barcamp-c...@googlegroups.com
John -

Thanks for responding.  I assumed that the conference was technical in nature, but now I realize that was just my techno-prejudice. ;)

Sounds like a great idea.

- Keith

On Jan 17, 2013, at 10:46 PM, John Bardos <johnb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Keith,

The event is an unconference format, based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Space_Technology,  which means that attendees will propose and choose topics for breakout sessions. I think the value derived is entirely up to each individual participant. There will be many smart people in the room, so I personally think it will be hugely valuable.

There is no technical focus, so that will not be a barrier.

If your friends have any questions, please ask them to email me.

All the best,
John
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to barcamp-chiang-mai+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

John Bardos