Android x86 - Pie

jatin...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2019, 6:32:17 AM2/10/19
to Android-x86
Hello devs,
This is no way an ETA request.
After every launch of Android version by googsle, i have seen the Android x86 site being updated with the news that the source code is now available

However after pie, there has been serious silence.
This time, Q is nearing Dev preview and still, there is silence on the front.
Is there any progress on pie, or it has been abandoned altogether?
am i missing something?

fguy

Feb 10, 2019, 8:11:16 AM2/10/19
to Android-x86
Since the release of my test build 9.0 https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/-Fu3TT2rd3w/Mp4OZ5U0AAAJ , little has changed. I handed over my patches to Maurossi and Jon West. Maurossi did not release assemblies, and Jon West used them for the BlissROM branch https://forum.xda-developers.com/bliss-roms/bliss-roms-development/bliss-os-pie-beta-preview-t3855917 . Unfortunately, there have been virtually no qualitative changes since. The main problems with graphics and Google services have not been resolved. I do not have the experience to solve such problems.
I also collected an android 9 from the Intel project repository celadon https://github.com/projectceladon . It does not have these problems, but there are others, for example, there is no video in the YouTube client, although chrome (browser) and newpipe allow you to watch the video in YouTube. Intel Celadon is not universal for x86 PCs and requires adjustments before assembly for a specific PC configuration. For example, it turned out to be enough for me to add my touchscreen and Wi-Fi to mixins. I also added the ability to work from img files from the root of the C drive with NTFS and start the boot from rEFInd. With the help of published patches, I added Google services without any problems, as well as houdini v9 (arm32 only) from ChromeOS R71 (Pixel Slate).

Mauro Rossi

Feb 12, 2019, 1:03:02 PM2/12/19
to Android-x86
Hi fguy,

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 2:11:16 PM UTC+1, fguy wrote:
[...]

At the moment I'm working on llvm8 porting, on nouveau testing/troubleshooting and on AMD DC support for Southern Islands

Since you did not provided patches, we were not able to re-use your efforts/tests, because we would need to reverse engineer the squashed diff of your changes,
but this not how pie-x86 porting will work for android-x86.

Regarding pre-release of pie-x86 ISOs I am bound to android-x86 repo releases
and Chih-Wei will announce in due time when the branch will be available for developers/supporters to test.

In the future if you want your work be used by community, please provide patches as it has always been the way.

Mauro

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 19, 2019, 9:16:35 PM2/19/19
to Android-x86
<jatin...@gmail.com> 於 2019年2月10日 週日 下午7:32寫道:
I'm going to begin the pie-x86 porting this week.

However, honestly speaking, I'm losing passion
to new Android release.
It's just getting bigger and slower without
any real useful feature I want. It sucks.

Actually the first problem I have is
there is no enough free disk space
to download the pie source...

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

jatin...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2019, 11:51:35 PM2/19/19
to Android-x86
Hey Chih-Wei,
Honestly speaking, Ever since the Oreo builds, I stopped caring. Seriously!
Nougat is far more stable on 3 of my systems i use it on. Additionally, I share the same opinion. I tried Oreo on one of my PC, and it is laggy and heavier.
Even i was disappointed with this.

Probably, bringing ChromeOS as an ISO might be a better thing to do. I got myself a brand new Pixelbook for a great deal last month, and was blown away by the performance, versatility and productivity that ChromeOS offers. And with Android App support, it gets even better. Moreover ChromeOS is made for Laptops and PCs. But its is a shame that google doesnt offer bootable and installable images for that.

Android x86 is one of the bestest projects i have ever seen. I have great respect for you and all the devs who have made this possible. But you must consider shifting to port ChromeOS as it makes more sense. ChromeOS works great regardless you have a touchscreen setup or a traditional Keyboard Mouse setup. Whereas Android lately has become painful with the traditional setup.

It is my humble request to you, to consider this before starting to dive into pie.

P.S.: I know cloudready exists, but it lacks android app support. But it can be figured out because there are a ton of x86 chromebooks out there.

Thanks a lot Chih-Wei for this great OS!

Also, it will be great if the others in this group share their opinion on this. So guys, kindly pour in!

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 20, 2019, 4:06:42 AM2/20/19
to Android-x86
<jatin...@gmail.com> 於 2019年2月20日 週三 下午12:51寫道:

> Hey Chih-Wei,
> Honestly speaking, Ever since the Oreo builds, I stopped caring. Seriously!
> Nougat is far more stable on 3 of my systems i use it on. Additionally, I share the same opinion. I tried Oreo on one of my PC, and it is laggy and heavier.
> Even i was disappointed with this.
>
> Probably, bringing ChromeOS as an ISO might be a better thing to do. I got myself a brand new Pixelbook for a great deal last month, and was blown away by the performance, versatility and productivity that ChromeOS offers. And with Android App support, it gets even better. Moreover ChromeOS is made for Laptops and PCs. But its is a shame that google doesnt offer bootable and installable images for that.

I know little about Chrome OS.
But it seems just to be another Linux distro to me.
Besides, Android App support of Chrome OS is not open source.
Nothing interesting.

> Android x86 is one of the bestest projects i have ever seen. I have great respect for you and all the devs who have made this possible. But you must consider shifting to port ChromeOS as it makes more sense. ChromeOS works great regardless you have a touchscreen setup or a traditional Keyboard Mouse setup. Whereas Android lately has become painful with the traditional setup.
>
> It is my humble request to you, to consider this before starting to dive into pie.
>
> P.S.: I know cloudready exists, but it lacks android app support. But it can be figured out because there are a ton of x86 chromebooks out there.

Jose Luis s

Feb 20, 2019, 5:38:25 AM2/20/19
to Android-x86
Whatever you decide, I want to thank you the effort, I have a lot of Tablets (old x86 tablets) and all of them are now working good with android-x86.

Yes I also feels Android-x86 heavier but also more functional to be day used device (I only miss some functions like GPS (serial and internal BCM), BT is Ok, wifi is more or less ok (rt8723BS and BCM also), intel gpu support is good, power is also ok.

I'd like to generate an "automotive oriented iso" but my skills are so limited (as my CPU power and Disk space) that is impossible for me.

I love this project and I consider that Android is a OS for mobile touchscreen devices great for tablets ( i do not find any advantage of having Android in a laptop or a PC) but is only my opinion. TAblets manufacturers want us to buy a new tablet with every new version of Android, and thanks to this project (and also others) this is not a must no more.

Thanks

DDS Central

Feb 20, 2019, 7:48:44 AM2/20/19
to Android-x86
The only thing I care about ChromeOS is the Houdini translator.
Thanks to Google's ChromeOS Android runtime, Chromebooks remain pretty much the only x86 OEM devices which can run Android apps.

Michael Goffioul

Feb 20, 2019, 10:25:29 AM2/20/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I understand the pain of going through such a massive task of porting Android, with little reward and a lot of complaining feedback. As a android-x86 user in professional environment, I'd find it sad to see the project abandoned. There aren't many alternative, and Intel/Celadon engineers are only interested in a single platform for automotive applications. At the same time, I fail to see the point of having Android-x86, BlissROM-x86 and LineageOS-x86 as separate projects. And besides that, you have Mauro doing a great job, but it's also separate. All this is quite confusing and counter-productive, if you ask me. I would love to see all these efforts joining force into a single project. These can't have such different targets that they justify this fragmentation. It's just my opinion, though.

Jon West

Mar 2, 2019, 7:34:57 PM3/2/19
to Android-x86
Lambdadroid has done the bulk of that work for using ChromeOS Houdini and drm too. I have included just those bits in our vendor/bliss_priv repo: https://github.com/BlissRoms-x86/vendor_bliss_priv