IPC comparison on Android

JonS

Dec 1, 2012, 3:21:56 PM12/1/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am researching IPC mechanisms for Android and I was wondering if there was a great resource that compares all the possible IPC mechanisms.  I am interested in primarily three areas: performance, simplicity (whether it can be accessed from Java and native code) and security.

Here are the ones I've found for Android.

- Binders
- Shared Memory
- Sockets
- Signals (Condition?)
- Named Pipes
- Files

thanks,

Joman Chu

Dec 1, 2012, 3:37:41 PM12/1/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
One of the best resources is the source code. Barring that, I've found these sites pretty useful.

Liu

Dec 1, 2012, 11:14:47 PM12/1/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com, Joman Chu
LWN has a good article on linux IPC mechanisms, including android's binder.
https://lwn.net/Articles/466304/

thanks,
--lx

Kristopher Micinski

Dec 2, 2012, 1:26:53 PM12/2/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com, Joman Chu
The binder is probably the most distinguishing feature, there's a few
good discussions of the Android Linux kernel extensions on the net you
can read as well...

kris