OK corral

Dad

May 20, 2011, 9:59:30 PM5/20/11

Tom Biasi

May 21, 2011, 8:30:11 PM5/21/11

"Dad" wrote in message news:neSdnW-7OrwTgUrQ...@bright.net...

The last paragraph says it all................... ;-))))

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703730804576319443550220546.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Dad

I like the article Dad. It reminds me that every time a state brings up
"right to carry" 'those' will make reference to the wild, wild west.
The west wasn't all that wild and the likeness never happens if "right to
carry" is adopted. In each case violent crime has decreased. (before some
one yells "cite?", look it up yourself).
The decrease is not so much related to people suddenly being able to pull a
gun but because the BGs are a little unsure about victims.
Regards,

Tom

Dad

May 21, 2011, 11:36:54 PM5/21/11

"Tom Biasi" <tomb...@optonline.net> wrote in message
It's just another take on what happened and has it's own slant. We
tend to take the word of those in authority when something like that
happens and it's not always the truth behind the event. Both parties
were less than stellar examples of manhood. Maybe more hood than man.
If there had been good records kept Earp would never have become a law
enforcement officer. Well, maybe that's not true either, look what we
have in that roll now. Ever wonder where Santa's misfit toys are for
the rest of the year?

My take on the gun ban they had at the time was just to placate the
fear posed to those that thought they were running the show by those
wearing guns and had no other value to the town. Like you said there
wasn't as much "wild" in the west as the news presented. Somewhat like
today's gun laws and the fear the rulers want to project on their
subjects.

I will be there later next month to see just what they are trying to
sell to the public. Need to go back out there and knock over a few
hundred prairie dogs again. Last year we only got maybe 500, in the
past we could get somewhere near 1,000. Then again we might just go to
Colorado again.

anon

May 26, 2011, 4:38:57 AM5/26/11

The facts of that infamous gunfight will never meet the arguments of those
who, to this day, study it...either informally or via passing editorials.
Who was right? Who was wrong?
Did one of the Clantons fire first? Some agree that the hot-headed Doc
Holliday started the fight by firing first, but there is no proof of that.
Was Wyatt Earp a scallywag? Was he inclined to use his position as a Law
Enforcement Officer to his advantage?
It would appear that he did do so...and profited from his position.
He was not alone. He was not the only law enforcement officer of his day to
profit from his position.
It seems that Sheriff Behan was doing quite well, financially, too.

Was Wyatt Earp fearless in the face of the sofflaws? Most say he was, some
maintain that he was not.
And others maintain that Mr. Earp was one of those very rare individuals
that felt no fear...was almost psychopathic.

And why, I am left to wonder, did Wyatt Earp, who was by most accounts not
friendly, take a liking to Doc Holliday?
Doc Holliday was himself not well thought of...and in today's terms he would
have been thought of as a drunken bar sot that nobody would have anything to
do with.
Doc Holliday was a 30 year old drunk who had a reputation of being quick
with a gun...tho nobody could prove it. Nor did anybody want to challenge
him.
His reputation preceeded him and he elicited fear before he even arrived at
a destination.
This was quite a feat for a little guy that weighed in at just over 140
pounds.

Was Doc Holliday good with his nickel plated pistols? Some say he was, and
the tale of the day is that Doc was not adverse to using his weapons. But
the truth of this has most likely been lost to History.
One history book alledges that Doc Holliday never killed anybody, but he had
a fearsome reputation that nobody wanted to challenge.
Another history book alleges that Young Doc shot a black kid for swimming in
"his" swimming hole when Doc was 16, but that tale has beeen proven to be
false.

Did "Doc" shoot anybody before the OK Corrral?
History seems to show that he did not.
Did Doc instigate the gunfight at the OK Corral by drawing back the hammers
on the double barrel 10 Gauge shotgun he was carrying beneath his coat?
There are those who to this day say that when Virgil Earp hard the hammers
being cocked that he said, "Hold...I don't mean that." Other Historians
claim that Wyatt Earp made the comment...but since Virgil was the Marshal it
would be likely that Virgil made the statement.
Some of the Historians maintain that Doc Holliday fired the first shot and
set off the mayhem.

We will never know...at least not in our lifetimes.

It is interesting that there remains a rift to this day over this shootout.
The Clantons have a web site that presents "other" facts.

Here we are, 130 years later and this conflict continues.

"Dad" <knoc...@fisher.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Dad

May 26, 2011, 12:06:42 PM5/26/11

"anon" <anon@anon> wrote in message

> The facts of that infamous gunfight will never meet the arguments of
> those who, to this day, study it...either informally or via passing
> editorials. Who was right? Who was wrong?
> Did one of the Clantons fire first? Some agree that the hot-headed
> Doc Holliday started the fight by firing first, but there is no
> proof of that.
> Was Wyatt Earp a scallywag? Was he inclined to use his position as a
> Law Enforcement Officer to his advantage?
> It would appear that he did do so...and profited from his position.
> He was not alone. He was not the only law enforcement officer of his
> day to profit from his position.
> It seems that Sheriff Behan was doing quite well, financially, too.

And there in lies the problem, could the issue be between two
political
factions over lucrative commerce that turned deadly.
The two sides were northern born Republican lawmen in the persons of
the Earp brothers, aided by a Georgia Democrat ‘Doc’ Holliday, versus
Texas born cowboy Democrats brothers of the McLaurys, and the
Clantons, aided by Billy Claiborne and Wes Fuller. The political prize
was the Johnny Behan position of sheriff of Tombstone and his deputies
who stood to make a fortune in miners pay at various enterprises. So
was it gang warfare brought about by those that were there for
financial gain? Both sides were bent on making as much money as they
could as easily as possible like sheriff Joe has had come to the
surface of late.

On that vain the best way to make money as a writer was play up the
incident to make as much money as you can. Sort of like Buntline and
his silly gun and his writings. What it looks like is that the Earps
oiled up the voting machines with their guns. What's the life of
another when it comes down to money and power? Power in the hands of
morally weak and corrupt people will always cost others, sometime just
a freedom here and there and sometime their life.

anon

May 27, 2011, 5:32:57 AM5/27/11

> And there in lies the problem, could the issue be between two political
> factions over lucrative commerce that turned deadly.
> The two sides were northern born Republican lawmen in the persons of the
> Earp brothers, aided by a Georgia Democrat ‘Doc’ Holliday, versus Texas
> born cowboy Democrats brothers of the McLaurys, and the Clantons, aided by
> Billy Claiborne and Wes Fuller. The political prize was the Johnny Behan
> position of sheriff of Tombstone and his deputies who stood to make a
> fortune in miners pay at various enterprises. So was it gang warfare
> brought about by those that were there for financial gain? Both sides were
> bent on making as much money as they could as easily as possible like
> sheriff Joe has had come to the surface of late.
>
> On that vain the best way to make money as a writer was play up the
> incident to make as much money as you can.

Yes, in that vein of making money, things become very clouded and obscure.
Stuart Lake's book, Frontier Marshal, was a fluff piece written about Wyatt
and that Lake claims that Wyatt provided delails to him for his book are
suspect. Not that Wyatt did not provide details, but that Wyatt may have
been prone to augmenting his experiences just a bit.
And Stuart Lake then proceeded to augment his book with tales of derring-do
that most likely never occurred.
Bear in mind that his book was a work of fiction mixed with loose facts and
he wanted to make sales.
That he was not given to sticking to the facts was, at that time, not
important.

The old "Buntline Special" is yet another of the tales that has been proven
to be false. Yes, Ned Buntline did have a few of the long-barreled Colts
made, but histroy shows that Earp never carried one while on duty.
From what I have read, Earp favored a Colt with a 7.5 inch barrel...hardly a
"Buntline Special".
Other historians seem to agree that Earp was not reluctant to use his Colt
as a club to gain compliance.
That could have NOT been particularly good for his Colt.
And, Dad, I have to lean toward the allegations that Wyatt Earp, while being
a seemingly fearless law enforcement officer, was also an opportunist who
was most likely not adverse to taking a few dollars "under the table".
Back in his day, when a rancher was lucky to earn $30 a month, some of the
old tax records show that Earp was garnering as much as $1,500 a month. What
would that equate to in today's dollars?
But those few months were actually few and far between.
One other historian has said that Earp, despite his reputation, spent only
about two years of his entire life as a peace officer.
And this historian claimed that Earp did not serve as a peace officer to
"better" the cities he lived in, but rather did so for the benefits that he
could derive from his position.
And yes, it is well known that there were two factions in Tombstone, each
vying for political power and monetary advantages. This is not too much
different from what we see today, eh?

Power in the hands of the morally weak?
As in Chicago, Illinois?
Oh...wait. Daley has retired.
One of Obama's henchmen is the new mayor. Rahm Emannuel.
Nothing has changed. Same crooks, just different names.

The Clantons' history is a whole other tale, but from what I've read, they
were less than stellar citizens and were not adverse to stealing livestock
from those around them.
The history of them indicates that they would steal livestock from above and
below the border. They were equal opportunity thieves.

And, Dad? I have been to the OK Corral site in Tombstone. The town has it
fenced off these days..gotta pay an entry fee to actually get in there.
The site where this infamous fight took place is actually very small...maybe
ten by 25 feet..so it happened at very close quarters.
The history books say that there were 30 shots fired within the 30 seconds
that this fight took place.

I can't help but wonder if one or two of those stray rounds ended up out in
the desert a few hundred yards away.
I always thought that it would be fun to prowl around that area with a metal
detector.

Dad

May 27, 2011, 12:14:22 PM5/27/11

"anon" <anon@anon> wrote in message
No, as in anywhere that a police officer can take life, property, and
dignity from those he/she is paid to protect under the false guise of
protection. In Chicago they ask for this mayor and I'm sure they will
garner it's benefits. The police department is a different story
filled with it's own brand of individual crooks and ego maniacs. We
all know how dedicated a police farce can be as we watched those in
New Orleans after Katrina. Plus they brought in other thugs to disarm
all those that were able to retain a gun during the looting by police
officers and "civilians" alike. The shameful way the police reported
non existent gunfire to promote their agenda and disarm the residents.
It was criminal but how many of them are serving time for those acts?
Much like the pattern set by those in the old west.

It has become nearly impossible to have an honest policeman bring a
case before an honest judge with honest lawyers to try a case. All
have an agenda to remove as much of his/her money for their own
benefit at the cost of the persons rights and financial well being
weather or not he is guilty of anything.

Have a good holiday and bless those veterans that gave all in our
stead.

Dad
5th Army B Co. 979th Btn. Combat Construction Engineers
1957/1963

anon

May 30, 2011, 4:46:35 AM5/30/11

"Dad" <knoc...@fisher.net> wrote in message

Way too many points to address, Dad, and while I disagree with some of your
phraseology and quips, I tend to still believe that most police officers are
honest and very dedicated to their respective communities.
If you have had sour experiences with officers, and many claim to have had
them, that is your problem.
That you seem to paint all law enforcement officers with the same brush is
not only short-sighted, it reeks of vindictiveness for no good reason.
Comparing most good and honest Officers to the likes of what you "heard"
went on in New Orleans or to what you have "heard" has transpired in Chicago
is not only short-sighted, but is prejudicial and not at all fair.
I could tell story after story of dedicated police officers who have
exhibited bravery beyond the call and who exhibit the utmost of dedication
and integrty.
I have been welcomed as a "brother" when visiting fellow officers in cities
around this country and even tho they may not have ever met me, they have
often welcomed me into their homes.
There is indeed a "brotherhood" that exists amongst police officers. Yes, it
is a "Clique". One that I am proud of being a member of.
I can visit almost any city, town or county jurisdiction in this United
States and search out fellow officers...and wll be made to feel right at
home.
Your anger is showing, Dad.

101st Airborne, A Co, 5th Btn, 1st Brigade. Fort Campbell, Ky.
Combat Infantry, Vietnam.

And despite our differences I will, on this Memorial Day, render to you a
salute of respect for your service, Dad.
Thank you for your service.

Dad

May 30, 2011, 10:54:36 PM5/30/11

> "Dad" <knoc...@fisher.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "anon" <anon@anon> wrote in message

Somehow it's my problem that they can't tell the difference between a
"!" and a "0" on an arrest warrent? Give me a break.

> That you seem to paint all law enforcement officers with the same
> brush is not only short-sighted, it reeks of vindictiveness for no
> good reason.
> Comparing most good and honest Officers to the likes of what you
> "heard" went on in New Orleans or to what you have "heard" has
> transpired in Chicago is not only short-sighted, but is prejudicial
> and not at all fair.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9505408/ns/nightly_news/t/separating-fact-fiction-katrinas-wake/

Not at all fair but still true, plus I never said anything happened in
Chicago, I said it would happen. Don't try to tell me the police force
there is even half way honest. Try to keep up.

> I could tell story after story of dedicated police officers who have
> exhibited bravery beyond the call and who exhibit the utmost of
> dedication and integrty.

Not what I said at all and I have no doubt there are and were those
that had some honor. My Uncle for one, oh wait, that's why he quit the
force.

> I have been welcomed as a "brother" when visiting fellow officers in
> cities around this country and even tho they may not have ever met
> me, they have often welcomed me into their homes.

See, they do make poor choices.

> There is indeed a "brotherhood" that exists amongst police officers.
> Yes, it is a "Clique". One that I am proud of being a member of.
> I can visit almost any city, town or county jurisdiction in this
> United States and search out fellow officers...and wll be made to
> feel right at home.
> Your anger is showing, Dad.

You can make that decision that I'm angry? Somehow in your infinite
wisdom you have the ability to decide that I'm angry or anything else
for that matter? You're decision making is more like jumping to
conclusions when that fits your needs.

What I am is sad, sad that we the people that law enforcement is sworn
to "serve and protect" are not. If as so often happens some one is
shot by a law enforcement officer the shooting can be justified. On
the other hand tell me of the last law enforcement officer that was
shot and the judgement was for the "civilian"? Like the times that
they raid the wrong house and get shot for no knock break in? That's
if he lived through the retaliation.

> 101st Airborne, A Co, 5th Btn, 1st Brigade. Fort Campbell, Ky.
> Combat Infantry, Vietnam.
>
> And despite our differences I will, on this Memorial Day, render to
> you a salute of respect for your service, Dad.
> Thank you for your service.

My warmest thanks to you and all those that have and will serve until
I can no longer say that to the true patriots. Unbelievable parade
today but fewer color guards each year.

anon

Jun 3, 2011, 6:24:37 AM6/3/11
My warmest thanks to you and all those that have and will serve until
I can no longer say that to the true patriots. Unbelievable parade
today but fewer color guards each year.

Sadly, Dad, I have noticed the lack of participation in Memorial Day
remembrances at the grave sites of our fellow Veterans.
The services are there, yes, but I see few of the younger generation
participating.
I don't fault the newest generation of Veterans. They have families and have
bigger issues to deal with than to join a local VFW or American Legion post.

Sadly, and why I relinquished my membership with the local VFW, is that I
became disenchanted with the oldsters who would sit around the bar from noon
to nine and rehash their old war stories. They have no place to go, so they
swill inexpensive bar drinks with each other and relive their alleged glory
days.
And as the years progress, so also do their tales of derring do.
Oh, and on rare occasion, depending upon the amount of E2OH that one or the
other had consumed, a very rare disagreement would break out with both
oldsters threatening to duke it out. That sort of thing was mostly hot air.

It is very sad that many of these guys seem to have no direction, other than
to head to the VFW or Legion bar every day.

Dad

Jun 3, 2011, 11:08:39 AM6/3/11

"anon" <anon@anon> wrote in message
Although your reply has nothing to do with the subject it does reflect
how well you can swing the conversation over to what you think
matters, your opinion and only your opinion. What you did say was the
same thing I see from the LEO community, much like the drunks that
shot the McLaurys and Ike Clanton. The last book I read pretty much
puts Wyatt in the liar/killer class all by himself. From what I now
see they pretty much sealed their own fate for ever holding a job in
Tombstone again.

You also remind me of the guy I went to school with that proudly wears
his "service" hat from Korea. Not sure how he did that and graduated
from high school in 1954.

anon

Jun 5, 2011, 5:32:29 AM6/5/11

"Dad" <knoc...@fisher.net> wrote in message
Well, Dad. I am not concerned with your opinions of me.
What you think of me is of no import.
My time in service was the result of two options, being drafted or
enlisting. Two years or three. I opted to enlist so that I could choose, in
part, where I wanted to be.
And unlike your high school buddy, when I returned to civilian life I did
not wear my credentials on my sleeve (or hat).
When I DEROSED out of the Army, I was again a civilian and never looked
back.
I only posted my Unit designation in response to yours.
You drew me in on that one.
Scratch one up for you.

And in regards to the Clantons and Earp? From what I've been able to glean
from several sources is that Wyatt Earp shunned indulging in alcohol and did
not drink.

The Clantons were not so inclined.
Earp was not the most upstanding of LEO's, but he had his wits about him
enough to realize that he could quickly gain the upper hand over the drunks
such as the Clantons and their fellow thieves.

The infamous OK Corral incident may never had happened had not Ike Clanton
been up all night, drinking at various saloons and making drunken threats
against the Earps.
Should it have happened? No. My opinion is that the entire debacle was
entirely avoidable.

The Earps and Doc should have simply left matters alone, ignored the alcohol
fueled threats and let the brothers leave town as they were seemingly
preparing to do.
By the way, they did not shoot Ike Clanton. He ran from the fight, claiming
that he was unarmed. Witnesses say that Ike fled through the Fly photo
studio and that as he was running through it, that he fired several shots
through one of the windows at the Earp party. Does that make him a back
shooter?

And period articles of that time indicate that the Clantons were no
strangers to stealing cattle from the Mexicans and the entire Clanton clan
was suspected of many robberies in the area.
They were suspected of stealing cattle and selling them to the Army at
nearby Fort Huachaca and were also suspected of robbing and killing several
Mexicans for the silver ore that the Mexicans were transporting on their
donkeys from nearby mines.

Doc is an entire story all by himself. All 135 pounds of him.
That Doc was an inveterate alcoholic is no secret. That Doc was a wanton
killer is most likely untrue.
To this day there are Historians who cannot determine just why or how Doc
Holliday managed to become friends with the otherwise taciturn Wyatt.
That has been lost to history.

And, Dad? My interest in this business stems from my visit to Tombstone many
years ago.
I stood in the Crystal Palace and had a beer (expensive) at the very bar
that they claim that Wyatt Earp visited.
The mahogany bar is the original from the 1880s and one can still see the
carvings that have been etched into it over the years.
The Bird Cage theatre is still open for business, too.
In fact, just behind the Bird Cage is a huge rose bush that blooms every
year. It must be 20 feet in diameter and the City claims that this is the
very same rose bush that was present when the Bird Cage was in its heyday.
The Bird Cage also points out the bullet holes in the ceiling that the
revelers put there.
I stood on the spot where Virgil Earp was ambushed by a coward from an empty
building across the street.
There is now a plaque that marks the spot on the restored boardwalk.
And while I was there with my buddy, we ate lunch in a small, two story
building that has a cafe on the ground floor.
We were told that when Wyatt and his brother first came to Tombstone that
they lived in an apartment that is upstairs.
We were not allowed to see it. The cafe uses it for storage space.

Yes, I did step foot into the OK Corral where this fight took place. They
charge an entry fee to do so.
The fight actually took place in what can best be described as an alley. It
is very narrow and about as wide as a modern day alley.
The participants were mere feet apart.
The city of Tombstone also has a reenactment of the gunfight that visitors
can pay a fee to see, on the very spot where it happened.

And this may interest you, since you seem to dislike police officers. While
I was in Tombstone I saw several men who were wearing Marshal badges and who
were carrying western style holsters and single action Rugers. I thought
that they were actors because of their period clothing, but one of them told
me that they are sworn officers, not actors.
The officer told me that they blend in with the crowd and that everybody
thinks that they are actors.

Tombstone also has a very modern, though small police force, and they tend
to keep a low key.

Dad

Jun 5, 2011, 11:41:07 AM6/5/11

"anon" <anon@anon> wrote in message

There you go again, I said nothing about how you served. What I did
say was you remind me of him and identified him by his need to wear a
false badge of service. The reason I likened him to you is he was
always twisting things around to his way.

My reason for posting anything about my service was because of
memorial day and those that gave all, nothing more.

> When I DEROSED out of the Army, I was again a civilian and never
> looked back.
> I only posted my Unit designation in response to yours.
> You drew me in on that one.
> Scratch one up for you.
>
> And in regards to the Clantons and Earp? From what I've been able to
> glean from several sources is that Wyatt Earp shunned indulging in
> alcohol and did not drink.
>
> The Clantons were not so inclined.
> Earp was not the most upstanding of LEO's, but he had his wits about
> him enough to realize that he could quickly gain the upper hand over
> the drunks such as the Clantons and their fellow thieves.

Do you mean thief like in horse thief that Earp never stood trial for
because he escaped from jail to avoid doing so?

> The infamous OK Corral incident may never had happened had not Ike
> Clanton been up all night, drinking at various saloons and making
> drunken threats against the Earps.

My guess would be that had they not been drunk the Earps would not
have had the gonads to slaughter them.

> Should it have happened? No. My opinion is that the entire debacle
> was entirely avoidable.
>
> The Earps and Doc should have simply left matters alone, ignored the
> alcohol fueled threats and let the brothers leave town as they were
> seemingly preparing to do.
> By the way, they did not shoot Ike Clanton. He ran from the fight,
> claiming that he was unarmed.

My mistake, he was trying to escape, it was the sensible thing to do
when you're out numbered and out gunned by a group of lawmen.

>Witnesses say that Ike fled through the Fly photo studio and that as
>he was running through it, that he fired several shots through one of
>the windows at the Earp party. Does that make him a back shooter?

That must have been Lake's version, or the testimony at the Earp
trial, I never heard that one before.

> And period articles of that time indicate that the Clantons were no
> strangers to stealing cattle from the Mexicans and the entire
> Clanton clan was suspected of many robberies in the area.

Typical of how some police work to have a known event used to blame
all the crime in their jurisdiction on the suspect of that one event.

> They were suspected of stealing cattle and selling them to the Army
> at nearby Fort Huachaca and were also suspected of robbing and
> killing several Mexicans for the silver ore that the Mexicans were
> transporting on their donkeys from nearby mines.
>
> Doc is an entire story all by himself. All 135 pounds of him.
> That Doc was an inveterate alcoholic is no secret. That Doc was a
> wanton killer is most likely untrue.
> To this day there are Historians who cannot determine just why or
> how Doc Holliday managed to become friends with the otherwise
> taciturn Wyatt.
> That has been lost to history.

Might be a mystery to you but he needed a scape goat to blame his
method of disposing of the Clantons and he fit the bill because he was
not expected to live long back then.

> And, Dad? My interest in this business stems from my visit to
> Tombstone many years ago.

Big deal, sort of like sitting at the table in Deadwood where Hickok
was killed. How much of that tail is true and it wouldn't be a reason
to say I knew anything about what transpired prior to the event. There
is a picture around here somewhere of me sitting in Sherlock Holme's
chair but I have no reason to be all puffed up about that either. My
guess would be that Holmes has more truth in Doyle's stories than Earp
does in his.

We need to get that right for once. I have no problem with honest
police officers as I would have no problem with any other person that
treats other people or their things with the respect they/it deserves.
That goes for this race crap that is going on, it's not the color
stupid, it's the person. You seem to jump to conclusions and that
can't be a good trait for a LEO, along with your seemingly fixed view
that everyone is wrong except you as a LEO.

Don't start with the crap about that being the only way you can stay
alive on the job. The number of police in the USA is nearing 1,000,000
and they lose about 40 t0 50 per year to gunfire and claim 3 times
that as line of duty deaths. As a comparison there are about 700
farming related deaths per year on 2,000,000 farms and about 200 of
them are under 16, four times the number of police officers shot per
year. I would say that farming is a job to be fearful of where being a
LEO should have better results from better equipped and more mature
people; that is just a guess on my part.

anon

Jun 8, 2011, 6:41:19 AM6/8/11
"How much of that tail is true..."

Don't know about the Hickock "tail", but I have read extensively about the
"tale" of Wild Bill.
Your misspelling is hereby excused.

That he was a deadly accurate shot with his .36 caliber Navy Colts is a
fact.
I've oft wondered why he chose the .36 caliber handguns, but since he was so
good with them, he needed nothing in a larger caliber.

Others, historians of the period and today, claim that Wild Bill was
suffering from eyesight loss due to Syphillis, which was not uncommon in
those days.

He was, at 39 years of age, on a downward spiral due to escessive drinking
while at the same time suffering the ravages of Syphillis, which was alleged
to have robbed him of his sharp eyesight.

Was he a good Law Enforcement Officer? Probably not. He was no stranger to
administering violence, that much is proven.
But in those days one did not have to consider Probable Cause nor did one
have to deal with a Miranda warning.
Hickock had a fearsome reputation...and a back-shooter ended his days.

Not unlike what one of the Clanton bunch did to Virgil Earp...

Dad

Jun 8, 2011, 8:43:23 AM6/8/11

> "How much of that tail is true..."
>
> Don't know about the Hickock "tail", but I have read extensively
> about the "tale" of Wild Bill.
> Your misspelling is hereby excused.

Wrong, the word is spelled correctly, it was misused. Do you know the
difference?

More interesting reading about lawmen and their faults............

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/a2ea6411790b75b7/0114b5fb2c8fbe72

anon

Jun 12, 2011, 7:17:01 AM6/12/11

> "anon" <anon@anon> wrote in message news:4ok95i....@news.alt.net...
>> "How much of that tail is true..."
>>
>> Don't know about the Hickock "tail", but I have read extensively about
>> the "tale" of Wild Bill.
>> Your misspelling is hereby excused.
>
> Wrong, the word is spelled correctly, it was misused. Do you know the
> difference?

Yes, I know the difference. You apparently prefer to nitpick over the
spelling rather than the context in which you misused the word.
Your sins are forgiven, Dad.
I do hereby grant you forgiveness.
Try to not let his happen again.

Dad

Jun 12, 2011, 12:55:34 PM6/12/11

> "Dad" <knoc...@fisher.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "anon" <anon@anon> wrote in message
>>> "How much of that tail is true..."
>>>
>>> Don't know about the Hickock "tail", but I have read extensively
>>> about the "tale" of Wild Bill.
>>> Your misspelling is hereby excused.
>>
>> Wrong, the word is spelled correctly, it was misused. Do you know
>> the difference?
>>
> Yes, I know the difference. You apparently prefer to nitpick over
> the spelling rather than the context in which you misused the word.

Damn, I thought it was you that had the spelling hang-up.

> Your sins are forgiven, Dad.

Check your bible and let me know where it is called a sin.

> I do hereby grant you forgiveness.

I feel so much better now to know you have tried to stay on subject,
yea, right, and think you have any power to forgive anybody. How about
having the people you have flat on the ground forgiving you for your
"I'm only following orders" stupidity?

> Try to not let his happen again.

I intend to be human and make those mistakes on occasion but I'll
never hide behind the "I was only doing as I was told" and continue to
use some common sense. I don't really need forgiveness but I would
accept some relief from those jerks in law enforcement like you.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/a2ea6411790b75b7/0114b5fb2c8fbe72

anon

Jun 14, 2011, 7:50:29 AM6/14/11

"Dad" <knoc...@fisher.net> wrote in message
Well, Dad. You seem to have a real issue with me and I fully expect that.
It seems to irk you to no end that I go to work every day and that I still
serve as a law enforcement officer.

That I said that I "forgive you" for your spelling gaffe seems to rankle
you.
Did I hit a nerve?
Oh, wait. I forgot that you already have an overinflated opinion of
yourself.

Darn me for having the audicity of talking back to you...how dare I?

I don't at all take umbrage over your challenges or your aspersions that
most Law Officers are bent toward being less than honorable.
Your aspersions lack credibility, especially considering the Source.

I will be back in the Squad this next Wednesday at 0600, Dad. This means
that I wlll be arising at 0430 to eat a quick breakfast while I don the
Second Chance vest, my uniform shirt and pants, and strap on a gun belt that
weighs 17 pounds.
And then I will go to work.
I am betting that you have NO idea of what this kind of preparedness is
like.

You can sleep in...I cannot do so.

Dad

Jun 14, 2011, 12:02:56 PM6/14/11

"anon" <anon@anon> wrote in message

Snip

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/a2ea6411790b75b7/0114b5fb2c8fbe72

> Well, Dad. You seem to have a real issue with me and I fully expect
> that.
> It seems to irk you to no end that I go to work every day and that I
> still serve as a law enforcement officer.
>
> That I said that I "forgive you" for your spelling gaffe seems to
> rankle you.
> Did I hit a nerve?
> Oh, wait. I forgot that you already have an overinflated opinion of
> yourself.
>
> Darn me for having the audicity of talking back to you...how dare I?
>
> I don't at all take umbrage over your challenges or your aspersions
> that most Law Officers are bent toward being less than honorable.
> Your aspersions lack credibility, especially considering the Source.
>
> I will be back in the Squad this next Wednesday at 0600, Dad. This
> means that I wlll be arising at 0430 to eat a quick breakfast while
> I don the Second Chance vest, my uniform shirt and pants, and strap
> on a gun belt that weighs 17 pounds.
> And then I will go to work.
> I am betting that you have NO idea of what this kind of preparedness
> is like.
>
> You can sleep in...I cannot do so.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/a2ea6411790b75b7/0114b5fb2c8fbe72

Never said that you poor baby, you just don't get it do you? I don't
believe the term "most" was used to describe poor/dishonest/lazy/self
absorbed LEOs, we're talking about one bad apple here, you. Are there
other? Sure, it comes with the territory but you look like the poster
boy for the LEO drones that we get stuck with during this day and age.

You have no authority to forgive me for anything let alone spelling,
actually a misused word. You can't even recognized or admit that fact.

You can also inflate your importance as a LEO as much as you want, it
still can't make you a "good cop." Average or mediocre maybe, but
good, never happen.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/a2ea6411790b75b7/0114b5fb2c8fbe72

Your duty belt weighs about one third the belt I carried as a
construction lineman, the boots weighed that much. Our days were 24
on, 24 off, if that, in three different states during accidents or
storm damage, 3 to 10 weeks at a time until all lines were back up and
running. In the winter of 1961 2 of us spent 2 weeks, in sub zero
weather, on active status 24/7 in 2 sets of clothes and no shower, to
keep a sub station up and running. The checks were good but the 2-week
leave was better. There were more people killed and injured during my
lineman time than is lost in the history of most any one medium sized
police department in the USA. Working with people that were
electrocuted, crushed, and maimed for life was a great incentive to
get out of there and get back in school even though I was married. It
took 2 years to finish while working nights and taking extra classes.

The above was told for no other reason than to point out to you that
most everyone in the working world put in what they consider tough
days, it is not your burden alone to work, poor thing. The next 41
years of work went a bit better for me with a few more bumps and I can
now sleep in to your chagrin, sad as that might be.

About this preparedness, get up at an acceptable time you wouldn't
have to eat a "quick" breakfast, get real you poor thing. Should I
assume that with that kind of preparedness you still have to ride in
the back seat?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/a2ea6411790b75b7/0114b5fb2c8fbe72

The reply to this thread has nothing to do with the new book out that
describes the slaughter of those innocent cowboys at the OK corral.

Anon

Jun 15, 2011, 4:18:19 AM6/15/11
Your rather disjonted relpy is just more of the same...

Over the last few months of our discord, it has not esscaped me that your
spelling lacks finesse.
I won't go so far as to to state that your poor spelling is the result of a
your lack of education, but it sure appears that way;

Come on, Dad.. Brush up your spelling.

Dad

Jun 15, 2011, 10:44:34 AM6/15/11

"Anon" <anon@anon> wrote in message
Why? You can't understand nor can you reply to any given subject.

Maybe if I could spell to your satisfaction I'd be a knuckle headed
cop instead of a manufacturing research engineer. Words never came
easy to me and I'd be the first to admit that, and I have, but I
didn't let that hold me back. Just by applying oneself those problems
can be overcome. Life doesn't stand still so you can wallow in
self-pity. Oh wait, there are cases where people do that and rise up
to the bottom rung of the ladder, maybe.

Sorry to have bothered you with some facts on how people's rights are
trampled on by bad police actions, you seem to accept them with ease.
It cost the people at OK Corral their life to expect those that posed
as the law of the land to extend them their right to a trial. That may
have been an accepted practice back then but it seems like that kind
of action is returning to our land. No knock warrants, new invasive
investigation techniques, arrests that are false, arresting the wrong
people, police that bug out in the face of a crisis and join the
looters, killing people that are the ones that were to be protected
take place way to often. Sounds like a very honorable profession for
those that may be able to spell.

Check out this slim ball........
http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=14907764 The five felonies
against him were dismissed. He used his badge to keep his 14-year-old
girl "friend" in line and he walked. That's a 14-year-old girl he was
stalking and he walked, I feel safer already knowing that kind of
protection is out there for my 6 granddaughters. That's a 14-year-old
girl he was stalking and he walked, what a big man, what honor he must
have.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/a2ea6411790b75b7/0114b5fb2c8fbe72

Anon

Jun 25, 2011, 6:24:29 AM6/25/11
Gee, Dad. I just returned from a ten day training hiatus and will get back
to you.
I will perhaps take a few moments to check out that "slim ball" you referred
to.
By your own words, you invited me to, "Check out this slim ball........ "

And just when you thought you were making a few valid points...only to
stumble and again trip over your clumsy, two left feet.

"Dad" <knoc...@fisher.net> wrote in message

Dad

Jun 25, 2011, 12:40:00 PM6/25/11

> Gee, Dad. I just returned from a ten day training hiatus and will
> get back
> to you.
> I will perhaps take a few moments to check out that "slim ball" you
> referred
> to.
> By your own words, you invited me to, "Check out this slim
> ball........ "
>
> And just when you thought you were making a few valid points...only
> stumble and again trip over your clumsy, two left feet.

Much like you spelling Daisy, as Diasy, or your spelling of received
as recieved, then there was runnning, but who's watching? What is an
"E" or an "N" among friends when you do so well yourself.

"I recall that we always wanted the kid with the Diasy pump BB gun on
our
side because it "stung" more than the other BB guns."

"I visited our local gun shop in search of one of the new Ruger LC9s.
The employee told me that they recieved one...and that it was in the
case
for only fifteen minutes before a customer bought it."

Couldn't find the "runnning" easily so it must be in one of your posts
under another name to keep you safe while huddled in the back seat
under your second chance vest. Unlike you I try to pay attention to
what is said more so then how each misspelled/misused word could get
me out of replying to the subject matter in the post.

As always you seem untouched by the fact a 14 year old girl isn't even
safe in he own school from the corrupt policeman that is there to
guard (?) them. Sounds like how the cowboys at OK corral got
slaughtered by those that were there to keep "Law and
Order"...........

Glad to see you get some more training, maybe it will get you a chance
to ride in the front seat.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/a2ea6411790b75b7/0114b5fb2c8fbe72

Anon

Jun 26, 2011, 3:33:15 AM6/26/11

Oh, and the rivalry continues, eh?
By the way, since we are correcting one another the vest you mentioned is
spelled Second Chance..note the use of Caps.
Richard Davis is the man who first designed and produced these Second Chance
vests.
Richard used to market his then new vests to area police departments by
donning one of his vests with a few telephone books behind it to soften the
impact, and would then proceed to shoot himself with a .357 Magnum that he
would place against the vest. You might even be able to find some You Tube
videos of him doing this.
Richard went on to become fairly good at what he produced and his Second
Chance vests have saved the lives of hundreds of police and security
officers.
I have worn a Second Chance vest of one design or another for more than 25
years and have complete trust in same.
That probably rankles you.

And while we are nitpicking, what is, "you seem untouched by the fact a 14

year old girl isn't even

safe in he own school"???

And those old, trusty Daisy BB guns we had when we were kids?
Those were fun. They were unlike the politically correct, anemic BB guns
that are offered across the counter these days.

And, Dad? The "Front Seat" you refer to is not a problem on this end.
Our cars are equipped with more electronics and advanced equipment than an
oldster such as yourself can imagine.
No, we don't have dial type phones in the cars. Nor do our cars have the old
"swamp coolers" that those of your generation used to think of as state of
the art air conditioning. We even have automatic transmissions.
And the guns we have in the trunks? Those are not muzzle loaders. These days
we use the new smokeless powder that is all the rage.

And while you are busy denigrating law enforcement in general, I will keep
busy "runnning" from call to call and will do my best to serve the community
that I took an oath to protect.

Happy Trails, Dad.

--
"Maybe they'll need a moat," he said derisively to laughter from the crowd.
"Maybe they'll want alligators in the moat."

"Dad" <knoc...@fisher.net> wrote in message

Dad

Jun 26, 2011, 11:19:57 AM6/26/11

"Anon" <anon@anon> wrote in message

Snipped all off topic blather again.

> And while you are busy denigrating law enforcement in general, I
> will keep busy "runnning" from call to call and will do my best to
> serve the community that I took an oath to protect.
>
> Happy Trails, Dad.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/a2ea6411790b75b7/0114b5fb2c8fbe72Not law enforcement in general, just the boob that seems to ignore thedecline in quality enforcement and presents the new trend by example;try to keep up. That weakness is a reflection of the fiasco in OKcorral that is getting more predominate. You missed the point again asusual or just due to lack of the ability to reason.Try to stay on topic and share some of your wisdom rather than blowyour horn, HA, that would be the day.How do you run from call to call while in the back seat, are youdriving the Flintstones mobile? As far as the guns in the trunk I dohope that Andy keeps the key along with your bullet.Lets see, does that oath to protect have anything to do with thecitizens of that community, or just your leaders, much like the OKcorral? http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=14907764 Still no response onthis article? In this case I know it wasn't you because he's to young.

Anon

Jun 27, 2011, 1:54:59 AM6/27/11

Dad said,

"share some of your wisdom rather than blowyour horn, HA, that would be the
day"
Could you be more specfic, Dad?
You kind of lost me with the "I dohope that Andy" quip.
If you want to keep up with the rest of us Dad, I would suggest that you
learn how to use your keyboard.
These are not like the old manual Remington typewriters that you grew up
with.

Perhaps I angered you and perhaps that is why your response was disjointed
and lacked finesse.
I understand. You can only do so much with the few talents that you were
born with.

"Dad" <knoc...@fisher.net> wrote in message

Dad

Jun 27, 2011, 3:58:25 AM6/27/11
Ah yes, again no substance, just rhetoric. Not the keyboard but the
hand held phone that does not send in normal text format in the forum
I sent it from. That seems important to you but not your misspelled or
misused words. How can that be? Maybe if we try together you could
spell Daisy, you think?

Could I be more specific? Why, you have some one that can read it to
you so you can understand it better?

Actually you cause little emotion on my part except sadness, anger is
for fools. Slowing down to keep up with the rest of us (?) is not an
option. If I only have one talent I'm satisfied with that as to be
void of any as you seem to present.

Just so you know I felt so revered over your accomplishments I stood
at attention for 30 seconds when you impressed me with all the
"electronics and advanced equipment" you have in your patrol car. Oh
wait, I think I was just taking a piss. No need to get all mushy over
you having a dome light and a digital clock in your car.

I did feel a tinge of sadness for you when you said you will keep
'busy "runnning" from call to call' as I would think your superiors
would let you ride in the car sooner or later. Now I'm only assuming
that you have advanced to where you don't have to push it anymore.

I'm still interested in you doing your best to serve the community
that you took an oath to protect. Does that have anything to do with
the citizens of that community, or just your leaders, much like the OK
corral? A yes or no would do just fine in this case.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/a2ea6411790b75b7/0114b5fb2c8fbe72"Anon" <anon@anon> wrote in messagenews:4q5rgc....@news.alt.net...>> Dad said,> "share some of your wisdom rather than blowyour horn, HA, that wouldbe the day"> Could you be more specfic, Dad?> You kind of lost me with the "I dohope that Andy" quip.> If you want to keep up with the rest of us Dad, I would suggest thatyou learn how to use your keyboard.> These are not like the old manual Remington typewriters that yougrew up with.>> Perhaps I angered you and perhaps that is why your response wasdisjointed and lacked finesse.> I understand. You can only do so much with the few talents that youwere born with.