Help I'm not a programmer!!

Ann Marie Marczak

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
Hi I am finally admitting it. I am not a programmer, I just want to have
fun with this game. So changing COB's, creature colors, etc by changing
the program. And what am I supposed to do with the Hex editor. I get lost.
I just want to understand the game and all of the symbols in the sci kit,
the bichemical reactions, and what the organs do. (Organ 1 is what? and so
on) I ordered the cheats and hints book but according to the NG I might not
find my answers there either. I never had C1. So pls help. 10Q.

slink

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98

Don't use a hex editor if you aren't interested in the dirty details,
stick to higher level programs.

Use BoBCoB for COB-altering. If you ever do want to program BoBCoB
will also let you do that. Ditto sprite file editing.

Altering the color of creatures will take a gene editor. Someone is
working on that, I don't know how he is progressing. Last I saw it
the package was about 2/3 usable. You *could* change colors with it,
though. <g>

As for the biochemistry and the organs, that's a big topic.

Organ 1 is Drive Lobe Support. This contains all the receptors,
emitters and reactions which connect the functionality of the Drive
Lobe with the rest of the creature's body. It contains 21 receptors,
23 emitters, and 40 reactions. (In my version there is one less
reaction.)

Organ 17 is the Concept Lobe Support. This contains all the
receptors, emitters and reactions which connect the functionality of
the Concept Lobe with the rest of the creature's body. It contains 1
receptors, 8 emitters, and 1 reactions.

Organ 15 is the Decision Lobe Support. This contains all the
receptors, emitters and reactions which connect the functionality of
the Decision Lobe with the rest of the creature's body. It contains 2
receptors, 8 emitters, and 2 reactions.

Organ 8 is the Regulator Lobe Support (they call this lobe the
Sandrabellum in the game). This contains receptors, emitters and
reactions which control functions that would be controlled in the
hypothalamus and medulla oblongata in people. Examples are feelings
of hunger, thirst, and suffocation. It contains 13 receptors, 16
emitters, and 1 reaction. (My version has 16 receptors, 20 emitters,
and 1 reaction.)

Organ 18 is Time's Arrow. This controls the age stages. There are 8
receptors in this organ.

Organ 13 is the Environmental Interface. It passes information
between the environment and the creature, such as the availability of
air, amount of light, and temperature of the surroundings. It also
senses the cpecies, sex and blood relationship of nearby creatures.
It contains 4 receptors, 12 emitters, and 3 reactions. (My version
has 2 more reactions.)

Organ 19 is the Muscles. This is basically motor control and also
handles energy consumption of the muscles during exercise. It has 23
receptors, 3 emitters, and 3 reactions. (My version has one less
receptor and one more reaction.)

Organ 2 is the Heart. Glucose and oxygen are turned into heat and
dissolved carbon dioxide. In the process ADP is turned into ATP,
which is what is needed to keep the creature functioning. It has 7
receptors and 5 reactions. (My version has one more receptor.)

Organ 3 is the Lung. This is where Dissolved Carbon Dioxide loses its
Carbon Dioxide and become ordinary Water. Oxygen is taken in here, if
there is Air present. Cooling also take splace here by panting. This
organ has 10 receptors and 3 reactions.

Organ 20 or Organ 3 duplicates. In my genome there are two Lungs, the
second being a duplicate of the first. For some reason CyberLife
decided to make the second lung a duplicate of a non-existant Organ
20. Either way the program has a nasty habit of re-duplicating where
there are duplicates, which problem it retained from C1 days.

Organ 4 is the Liver. This is where Glucose is made from Glycogen
during emergencies. Glycogen is the emergency store of Glucose. It
is also what makes the Health bar in the lower righthand corner of the
screen display fluctuate. In C1 Glycogen was *it* for Glucose storage
and so this form of monitoring health made sense. In C2 Glucose can
be stored in large quantities as body fat (Adipose Tissue), so all the
Health bar tells you is that the creature has or has not recently been
through a trauma such as being hit or giving birth. The liver also
detoxifies a number of toxins, alcohol being the most widely known to
most people but cholesterol and ammonia are also dealt with here.
There are 7 receptors and 8 reactions in this organ. (My version has
one less of each.)

Organ 5 is the Pancreas Insulin Activity. This is where blood sugar
concentration is kept from being too high by causing Glucose to be
stored as Adipose Tissue or perhaps as Glycogen if that storage is
low. There are 6 receptors and 4 reactions. (My version has 2 more
reactions.)

Organ 6 is the Pancreas Glucagon Activity. This is where blood sugar
is kept from being too low by causing Adipose Tissue, Glycogen and
Muscle Tissue to mobilize towards Glucose. There are 6 receptors and
8 reactions. (My version has one less of each.)

Organ 7 is the Tummy (they call this Stomach in the game). This is
where starch, fat and protein from foods gets turned into glucose,
fatty acid and amino acid. There are 5 receptors and 3 reactions
here. (My version has one more receptor.)

Organ 9 is the Kidney. Excess water and products of detoxification
are released here. These include urea (and bile acid in my genome).
There are 5 receptors and 4 reactions here. (My version has 3 more
reactions.)

Organ 10 is the Bones. Prostaglandin for repairing organ injury is
supposed to be emitted from here. There are 5 receptors and 4
reactions in this organ. (My version has 5 receptors, 1 emitter, and
3 reactions.)

Organ 11 is the Spleen. This is where disease is countered by
antibody formation. There are 7 receptors and 10 reactions in this
organ. (My version has 2 less reactions.)

Organ 12 is the Skin. This is where excess heat is lost by sweating,
if there is sufficient water. There are 6 receptors and 2 reactions
in this organ.

Organ 14 is the Gonad. The main gender-related hormones are produced
here. The organ is present in both males and females, however
different parts function for the two. Males have 7 receptors and 1
reaction. Females have 6 receptors and 1 reaction.

Organ 16 is the Uterus (females only) This is where egg-laying is
controlled and many female hormones related to this activity are made
here. There are 10 receptors, 6 emitters, and 4 reactions. (My
version has one less receptor, specifically the one for adipose tissue
on the injury locus.)

Organ 20 (my genome only) is the Pituitoid, a combination Pituitary
and Thyroid gland. It controls the distribution of nitrogen sources
between Muscle Tissue and free Amino Acids, and the mobilizes Adipose
Tissue in times of starvation. There are 4 receptors and 5 reactions.

--
Sandra -> http://www.netins.net/showcase/slink/
GEEK CODE Version 3.12: GS>AT !d(++)@ s:+ a+ C+++($) !U(C/H$) P(+)@

slink

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
PS Sorry for not sorting those. I was so relieved to be done typing
that I forgot to sort them out first. :)

IMJ

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
slink wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:45:07 -0500, "Ann Marie Marczak"
> <jaz...@centuryinter.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi I am finally admitting it. I am not a programmer, I just want to have
> >fun with this game. So changing COB's, creature colors, etc by changing
> >the program. And what am I supposed to do with the Hex editor. I get lost.
> >I just want to understand the game and all of the symbols in the sci kit,
> >the bichemical reactions, and what the organs do. (Organ 1 is what? and so
> >on) I ordered the cheats and hints book but according to the NG I might not
> >find my answers there either. I never had C1. So pls help. 10Q.

[SNIP]

Slink, you didn't pitch your D-DNA analyzer...

If you want a crude crash course in NORN coloring, e-mail me. I can
start you on your way...

IMJ

--
ValidEmailAddress = (Swap the two words separated by the period)

I know of only two deities. The first is known as Currency. All
the world over we worship it. Most will admit this. The second
is named Lie. All the world over we do it, although few will admit
it.

For a dollar, I'll tell you a lie. Just practicing my religion...

slink

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98
On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:09:32 -0400, IMJ <i...@net.netunlimited> wrote:

>Slink, you didn't pitch your D-DNA analyzer...

Didn't think she wanted to try to read that. <G>

>If you want a crude crash course in NORN coloring, e-mail me. I can
>start you on your way...

What, you don't like pink, purple, blue, etc? :)