help reading margin notes

familyfra...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2015, 7:26:35 PM3/29/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I am having fun going through the baptismal records, and have started looking for marriage records.  I am looking for the parents of Antonio do Amaral - his baptism at Matriz, Ribeira Grande - left side

I think it might say something in the margin about parent's marriage - maybe the parish of

Conceição, Ribeira Grande - 1837

but I looked through these records for Conceição and there is no marriage record for the parents - which I believe are Antonio de Amaral from Achada and Margerida Izabel.from Matriz, Ribeira Grande.

I also looked through surrounding dates in Achada and Matriz.

Thanks
Amy Francis

Cheri Mello

Mar 29, 2015, 7:50:24 PM3/29/15
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Amy F,

Margin notes will refer to that person and the events in that person's life.  So side margin notes may contain information on his marriage, when his marriage was dissolved (usually by the death of a spouse), or his death.

This side margin says he died in the Conceicao parish of R.Grande on 23 May 1937.  Then it cross references the death book of 1937.

To find Antonio's parents marriage, I'd go looking for Antonio's older siblings.  Many times, the records will say "recibidos" meaning that's the church that parents were married.  I don't see that in this record.  Maybe it will say in one of his siblings. And in the process, you'll get better and better at reading the handwriting/paleography.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Richard Francis Pimentel

Mar 29, 2015, 8:14:17 PM3/29/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com

You may find this marriage record of interest from NS Estrela.

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-RG-ESTRELA-C-1839-1853/SMG-RG-ESTRELA-C-1839-1853_item1/P54.html Left entry.

Rick

Richard Francis Pimentel

Epping, NH

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---

familyfra...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2015, 9:59:47 PM3/29/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!!!
My next step will be siblings.

Amy

familyfra...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2015, 9:59:58 PM3/29/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Rick,

Yes - thank you!  I must have passed by this one because I had not seen his name as Antonio Jacinto Amaral before, just Antonio de Amaral.  It looks like the parents are a match from what I have, but hard to read the wife's parents names.  I will study it further.  Thanks again!!!

Amy

Pam Santos

Mar 29, 2015, 10:15:42 PM3/29/15
to azo...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't state his wife's parents name only that she was a widower of Bento Joaquim de Araujo. You will need to find her first marriage to find her parents names.