Triage Meeting 2020-07-29

Skip to first unread message

Alexandra Paskulin

Jul 29, 2020, 7:38:28 PM7/29/20

Notes from TechCom's triage meeting on July 29, 2020

Present: Dan Andreescu, Kate Chapman, Tim Starling, Alex Paskulin, Niklas Laxstrom, Giuseppe Lavagetto, Timo Tijhof, Deb Tankersley 

T258845 RFC: Stop supporting legacy PHP entry point extensions

  • New RFC by Kunal (Legoktm) that proposes gradually ending support for legacy PHP entry points

  • TS: The RFC proposes ending support for legacy entry points by MediaWiki 1.43, which could be five years from now.

  • GL: That long of a timeline might be too conservative considering that there’s a viable migration path. Wikidata is removing it from production this week. The percentage of extensions on gerrit using the new system leads me to believe that we can do this on a shorter timeline, especially if there are advantages to not having to support the legacy entry points.

  • RK: 1.35 will be an LTS release that ships with support for legacy PHP entry points, giving longer support to projects that need it. We could remove them before 1.39, our next LTS release. 

  • TS: If there’s a large extension or project that needs it, we can be sensitive to the timing of the deprecation.

  • Discussion continues on the task

T190129 Consolidate language metadata into a 'language-data' library and use in MediaWiki

  • NL: No remaining unanswered questions that would change the direction of the proposal.

  • Ready to move from P3 (Explore) to P4 (Tune)

T249419 RFC: Render data visualizations on the server

  • DA: This RFC is stalled due to pushback on the technical side coupled with inactivity on the product side. Client-side visualization seems to be uncontroversial so far, but I took the inactivity as a decrease in priority. I’m still interested in the problem technically, but it needs proper resourcing and stewardship. Any change away from current architecture runs into other problems. I proposed to take a deeper look at how we store graph definitions.

  • GL: We un-deployed Graphoid from Group 0 and 1 only, which may be the cause of the lack of feedback.

  • DA: I wouldn’t suggest re-deploying Graphoid. The idea was to deploy a new version, new repository. 

  • TT: Removing Graphoid from group 2 could change the priority. When we un-deploy Graphoid, there will be a gap when getting things from Siri as well as impact to the graphs on pages related to COVID-19. I did hear some interest, but we need actual resourcing.

  • GL: For anything going into production from now on, we’re considering the typical performance expected and determining an error budget. If a project overruns its error budget for the quarter, the responsible team will be required to do something about it, either make it more stable or lose SRE support. 

T222224 RFC: Normalize MediaWiki link tables

  • TT: There’s currently a straw-man proposal open for feedback. Waiting for DBA feedback.

Next week IRC office hours

No IRC discussion scheduled for next week


Reply all
Reply to author
0 new messages