a resource with voices of survivors of "indian boarding schools"

Devon Olson

Jun 25, 2021, 12:47:52 PM6/25/21
to Information Maintainers
Hi there my fellow Info Maintainers,

I wanted to share with you all a resource on boarding schools for Indigenous children (called "Indian Boarding Schools") in the United States.

Denise Lajimodiere, an enrolled citizen of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa in North Dakota, spent a decade recording interviews with survivors of U.S. "Indian Boarding Schools", and compiled these stories into her book, "Stringing Rosaries". The book is part of the promise she made with survivors to share their stories. This Indianz.com news story has links to her book as well as a video of Denise speaking.

I was fortunate enough to hear Denise speak at the 2020 University of North Dakota Writer's Conference. Her integrity and determination to maintain these stories is so strong. I am hopeful that more people will turn to Indigenous community members like her to educate themselves about this heartbreaking, shameful, and abhorrent face of American and Canadian recent history.

Please do share related resources you may know about on the list, from either Canadian or American contexts.

Wishing you all health, growth, and peace,
Devon