Be critical of and aware of default settings in GIS software | Spatial Reserves Data Blog

1 view

Joseph Kerski

Jun 7, 2021, 11:20:29 PM6/7/21
to Information Maintainers

Greetings All:

https://spatialreserves.wordpress.com/2021/06/07/be-critical-and-aware-of-default-settings-in-gis-software/

In our data blog I recently wrote about another reason to be critical of the data–especially imagery–when it can be misinterpreted and when it can be deliberately faked. Included in that essay was a brief paragraph encouraging the community to also be aware and critical of default settings in GIS software when rendering and analyzing imagery. Why? Default settings are there to accommodate a wide variety of users, but can lead to conclusions that are at best, not as rigorous or as accurate as they could be, or, at worst, in error. The above essay expands on that idea and I hope you find it to be useful.

Joseph Kerski

Joseph J. Kerski, Ph.D. GISP | Education Manager

Esri | 167 S. Taylor Avenue | Louisville CO  80027-3025 | USA Tel 909-369-8237 Mobile 303-625-3925 jke...@esri.com | esri.com

Twitter:  @josephkerski