v8.0 Dark theme?

Anthony Kramer

Dec 4, 2018, 1:06:36 PM12/4/18
to shotgun-dev
I see in the release notes (https://support.shotgunsoftware.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012169533-8-0-Release-Notes) there's supposed to be a new light/dark switch in shotgun but I don't see it. Does this feature need to be turned on? I can't find it in the settings

Frank Lenhard

Dec 4, 2018, 1:22:14 PM12/4/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com
I don't see the switch here either.

Frank Lenhard
Director Production

PiXABLE STUDIOS
Mastersolution AG
Buchenstr. 16 b

LinkedIn | Xing | Google+ Vimeo | YouTube

Hasiel Hassan Alvarez Zavala

Dec 4, 2018, 1:26:32 PM12/4/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com
The new UI is really picky with the browser version, if you are not running the latests versions of the browser you will not see it and you might also experience some other isues.

Ee can verify that its working on Firefox 60 and Chrome 70.

And the switch is a moon/sun at the left of your account icon.

Mark Stewart

Dec 4, 2018, 1:30:43 PM12/4/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com
Hey, it's just showed up here, so may be running behind. I'm disappointed in it, tbh... there's limited considerations for custom row colour rules, so text is nearly unreadable using dark mode.

Example

image.png

If I had my way, it'd skip night mode text color changes on custom rows, or allow for day/night colors in the setup, or crank the bg colour lightness down by 50% in night mode. As it stands now, my SG interface is even more eye-bleedingly bright in day mode.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Stewart – Head of Pipeline

ICON CREATIVE STUDIO INC.

www.iconcreativestudio.com

200 - 341 Water Street, Vancouver BC, Canada V6B 1B8

Matt Daw

Dec 4, 2018, 1:39:02 PM12/4/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com
Hi, sorry for the confusion. I checked in with the release team and the flag to enable theming will be turned on in a second pass after all sites are running the 8.0 build.

Matt

Frank Lenhard

Dec 4, 2018, 4:00:45 PM12/4/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com
I have to agree. Big parts of the screen are actually pitch black (and therefore subject to way too high contrast) and parts of the text (Asset Name) is just not visible at all any more. If you like dark, have a look at Softimages color Scheme, which for my taste, was the best of both worlds.
Then some Fonts are render smaller now then before, which doesnt help Production ppl who are not 25 any more. sigh..... I currently cant see something that looks better then before and wonder, why the change?
image.png

mit freundlichen Grüssen

Frank Lenhard
Director Production

PiXABLE STUDIOS
Mastersolution AG
Buchenstr. 16 b

LinkedIn | Xing | Google+ Vimeo | YouTube

Donald Strubler

Dec 4, 2018, 4:18:04 PM12/4/18
to shotgun-dev
For those having issues with the luminance range of the dark mode, try this

I have been using this in anticipation of the official dark theme for SG, and it seems after this release I may keep it running as I get a more customizable dark theme this way.

Anthony Kramer

Dec 4, 2018, 4:42:42 PM12/4/18
to shotgun-dev
Overall, I really like the dark theme. I actually like the smaller text and the new font. It's pretty easy to scale up in most browsers by hitting ctrl+plus.

I agree what others have said about white text not showing up on custom cell colors. Attached is my 2 cents on the My Tasks page, where most of our artists spend their time.

sg_web_v8_dark_theme.png

Frank Lenhard

Dec 4, 2018, 5:18:59 PM12/4/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com
THis Dark Theme Add on does an amazing job. Everything is readable and i have no black hole in my screen any more! :)

ciao
frank

Michael Illingworth

Dec 4, 2018, 5:54:56 PM12/4/18
to 'Peter
I like the new font, what is it?

photo Michael Illingworth
Visual Effects Supervisor
T:+44 1223 653030 M:+44 7973 661153  www.vinefx.com

Halil Mehmet

Dec 4, 2018, 7:02:17 PM12/4/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com
Glad there's been some improvement in the UI but there's a lot of artists now complaining that the day theme is far too bright with a close to white background colour. The night theme can't be used because of contrast issues with row colours and the close to black background colour.

image.png

Nathaniel Hunter

Dec 4, 2018, 7:32:08 PM12/4/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com
I know this gets into feature requests, but it really works be great to expose the color settings to admins, much the way good IDE's do, with the ability to create, edit, duplicate, save, delete and apply presets. Make the dark and light just presets that come as defaults.

Just a thought....

image1.png

NATHANIEL HUNTER
CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
DREAMVIEW STUDIOS
1758 BERKELEY ST, SANTA MONICA 90404
(310) 596-1373 C (310) 428-9046
DREAMVIEW STUDIOS

On Dec 4, 2018, at 4:01 PM, Halil Mehmet <halil....@flyingbark.com.au> wrote:

Glad there's been some improvement in the UI but there's a lot of artists now complaining that the day theme is far too bright with a close to white background colour. The night theme can't be used because of contrast issues with row colours and the close to black background colour.

<image.png>

Fabian Geisler

Dec 5, 2018, 11:59:34 AM12/5/18
to shotgun-dev
Hello everyone!

A little note for everyone who has problems with the contrast in the row colors in dark mode: You should set the text color in the row/column formatting from nothing to a dark color. Once you've done this it works fine in light and dark mode.
Here is a link to the shotgun documentation on this:

Cheers,
Fabian

Georg-Sebastian Dressler

Dec 5, 2018, 12:04:22 PM12/5/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com
Hey Fabian,

thanks for that. It’s quite a change with the new dark theme. So is the change there for the behind the lists, that is black now with the dark theme?

Cheers,
George

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Jack James

Dec 5, 2018, 12:46:28 PM12/5/18
to shotgun-dev

Hi everyone

First off, thank you all for the feedback here, we’re looking through it all to ensure we’re providing a product everyone loves to use, and we’re taking it all very seriously. The only thing I’d ask is that you can give us some time to sort through the more subjective feedback (what people like or don’t like about specific colour choices) before we make any further changes in that particular area.

Hopefully I can clarify where we’re at right now and what’s coming up.

Imminent fixes

We’ve identified some things that got broken and that we weren’t able to fix in time for this release. These have been addressed and should go out in a patch next week:

  • Custom status icons are stretched

  • Screening Room filter checkboxes are hard to see

  • Filter checkboxes can’t be unchecked in the dark theme

  • Projects page permanently shows as being modified

  • Deleting the default tab of Projects page breaks the /projects URL

  • Visual refinements for the Review Notes app, and Notes and Tasks forms, and instances where a floating table is shown (such as when viewing field history)

  • Ensuring the dark theme is shown in Shotgun Create when the user’s password is reset

  • Prevent the action button from disappearing when a page is refreshed

  • Fix the field positioning with the RV Submit tool

  • Fix the top of the filter panel in dark theme

  • Some buttons did not display correctly with the dark theme enabled

  • The favourite icon was showing the wrong colour

  • Print charts with the light theme even when dark theme is enabled

  • Make sure modal dialogs always darken the background they are shown on

  • Some other small visual tweaks

Custom colour choices

As of right now, exactly a third of our users have chosen to use the dark theme as their default theme, which is higher than we anticipated, and so we’re going to do our best to make sure the theme works well for all those users.

We identified a while ago that there would be an issue with those of you using certain custom colours in statuses and cell and row formatting that may not translate well into the dark theme. We originally felt that since this was something you’d have control over changing it would be ok to postpone addressing that until we had a robust solution. In light of your voices and feedback on this issue, we're happy to change our position on this in the future.

So what we’re going to do is:

  1. We’re going to prevent the dark theme from overriding any colour styles in cells where a custom colour has been set (thanks to Mark Stewart for putting this suggestion forward). Essentially, this will mean that custom formatted cells look the same whether you’re in the dark theme or light theme. This does have the downside of meaning that it’s possible to only change the text colour and then in dark theme you’ll get a white background for those cells, but we feel this is the best trade-off we can do for now. We are planning that this will go out with the aforementioned patch next week.

  2. Longer term we are undertaking some work to rationalise the colour palettes we provide to do custom formatting. This means we’ll provide a colour palette where each available colour is designed to work with the theme you’re currently in, and that will change automatically to work in the other theme. We feel this is the ideal approach to allow for customisation but at the same time making both themes reflect the choices you make there. We don’t have a timeframe for this yet.

  3. As part of doing #2, we’ll migrate current colours to the new palette, meaning for every colour we currently let you choose, we’ll figure out what an equivalent is in the new palette and do that conversion automatically.

Why we made these changes

As part of the Shotgun 8 release we wanted to address one of the most common complaints we had from new users, namely that it looked “old”. We also felt that the introduction of a fully-featured dark mode was long overdue and so we took the opportunity to address both of these concerns, and move towards greater consistency in the interface overall, and finally to better align to Autodesk’s Human Interface Guidelines. It’s a big task and we expected to need to iterate on it post-release.

In terms of the design, we’re committed to moving as close as possible to the visual language used by Shotgun Create, which uses a fully designed interface and dark theme (I would strongly encourage everyone to try it out when you get the chance!), and we wanted to leverage a lot of the stylistic and design choices made there and bring them back to Shotgun.

We welcome your continued feedback on these changes, as we work towards a version of Shotgun we can all enjoy using.

Jack

Brandon Bartlett

Dec 5, 2018, 1:23:28 PM12/5/18
to shotgun-dev, jack....@shotgunsoftware.com
Hey, Jack. Any chance that a "Legacy" UI option could be put in place...allowing sites to choose the NEW Light/Dark, or use the previous iteration of the UI...at least until the issues you listed, as well as others not included here, are addressed? Even Maya implemented a legacy mode when they introduced all the color management options in an update. So, it's not a concept that Autodesk isn't familiar with in their product line.

-brandon

Jack James

Dec 5, 2018, 1:40:16 PM12/5/18
to cgbi...@gmail.com, shotgun-dev
Hi Brandon
Because of the complexity in updating the underlying code to make all these changes, that's not going to be possible on this occasion.

Sorry about that.

Jack

Frank Lenhard

Mark Stewart

Dec 5, 2018, 2:51:08 PM12/5/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com, cgbi...@gmail.com
I'll add my thanks there plus a thanks to Fabian for the text colour catch in row color rules. Man, we have a lot of row color rules...

Dennis "DJ" Hauck

Dec 5, 2018, 9:16:50 PM12/5/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com
I’m loving the Dark Mode, but I found one small issue.

I know the “Task View” on a Grid View pages is considered a “Legacy” layout mode (aka you need to request it to be activated on a site), but it is one of my favorite layouts to have because it lets you “filter” on both the Task and Linked Entity level at the same time.

In dark mode, when looking at the Filter panel, the “Linked Entity” tab (Shot in this case) is a near white text the same as the background of the filter.

Below is the same view in both dark and light mode.

dJ

Alexey Borzykh

Dec 6, 2018, 12:01:19 PM12/6/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com
Hi, we noticed that inbox number of unread items won't interactively update to reflect the actual number, as you check/read them in another SG tab:

inbox_number_update.png

Alexey Borzykh
Animation Supervisor
PAROVOZ animation studio

mail: alexey....@gmail.com
skype: borzunda
cell RUSSIA: +7-903-775-15-96

image.tiff
image.tiff

Frank Rueter | OHUfx

Dec 6, 2018, 7:12:50 PM12/6/18
to shotg...@shotgunsoftware.com
Great, thank you!
I am very much looking forward to being able to use dark mode and light mode interchangeably without custom colours making things impossible to read in one or the other (after all it is a per-user choice so you will have to support both as a site admin).

Cheers,
frank

Jack James

Dec 12, 2018, 6:07:14 AM12/12/18