DevBoards Program Meeting January 18, 2024

Jeff Scheel

Jan 17, 2024, 5:20:54 PMJan 17
to RISC-V Development Board Program
All,

Our first meeting of 2024 will be tomorrow, Thursday, January 18, 2024 at the following time:
  • 3:00 PM UTC,
  • 4:00 PM Central Europe time,
  • 8:30 PM India Standard Time,
  • 11:00 PM China Standard Time
  • 10:00 AM Eastern U.S. Standard Time,
  • 7:00 AM Pacific U.S. Standard Time.
Here's the meeting link (which can be copied to your calendar):
https://www.google.com/calendar/event?eid=MnRoZWRxcW9vNjg2MXQxcHZlNnVla3Eza2lfMjAyNDAxMThUMTUwMDAwWiB0ZWNoLm1lZXRpbmdzQHJpc2N2Lm9yZw&ctz=UTC

The agenda will not include any special topics and will be simply:
  • Program updates from RISC-V
  • Board and Project updates
  • What's cool?
As always, any topics, updates, or information can be added to our agenda document, Dev Board Group Minutes or raised at the beginning of the meeting.
-Jeff

--
Jeff Scheel (he/him/his)
Director of Technical Programs, RISC-V International

Jeff Scheel

Jan 21, 2024, 10:16:43 AMJan 21
to RISC-V Development Board Program
All,

Thanks for another great meeting.

Per convention, the official updates are in the Meeting Document and I'm attaching a copy here.  Please question, correct, and extend the information in either the document of this email as you deem appropriate.

Attendees: Yu Bo, Daniel, Carl, Felix, Axel, Wei Fu, Lance Albertson, Manmohan, Darren, Bob Monkman, Greg Sterling, Andreas

Board Updates:

Program Updates:

  • Arch Linux

[core] 258 / 265 (97.36%)

[extra] 13043 / 13559 (96.19%)

  • Debian

  • Fedora

    • Updating Fedora 39, Building Fedora rawhide/40

    • Fedora 38 distrepo 有 98% srpm with LiveCD

      • ROS2 image (Robot Operating System)

    • Fedora 39 distrepo 有 94.36% srpm with LiveCD

      • Java:

        • java-1.8.0-openjdk(without JIT)

        • Java-11-openjdk

        • Java-17-openjdk

        • java-latest-openjdk-19/20/21

      • CasaOS Image (NAS)

      • NextCloud App

  • Fedora 40/rawhide koji repo 有 83.58% srpm

  • SUSE

    • Continue to enable existing boards

  • R9

    • Nothing new re RISC-V 😅

  • oreboot

    • We can init the Milk-V Mars and Mars CM just fine \o/

    • Got a contributor bringing a Rust PAC and HAL crate for the JH71x0

    • Overhauled the build system entirely; now supporting build-time DRAM size config and DTFS for JH7110 / VF2 (Device Tree File System)

    • Experimenting with LK (Little Kernel) on JH7110 (currently just errors in S-mode)

    • Filed an issue to document the OTP fuses and protocol for secure boot support: https://github.com/starfive-tech/Tools/issues/8

  • Firmware

    • Someone asked for ideas on bringing Zephyr to the JH7110

      • Daniel proposes an OS design that would start in M-mode to increase efficiency

  • Michael Engel proposed oreboot and custom tailored OS design at HiPEAC

  • Will do a hackathon a few days before FOSDEM

    • Bootstrap TH1520 (Lichee Pi 4A, Lichee Console 4A) in oreboot

  • People are working on RISC-V support in coreboot again

    • Managed to bring up Linux in QEMU virt

  • RISC-V

    • Greg Sterling has joined the RISC-V team and will gradually be learning more and helping here

    • Pioneer Boxes

      • Second batch of “core” projects (10) have shipped and are being setup as we speak

      • Remaining projects have been approved and are targeted to ship by end of month if previous 10 go well

    • Review K230 (6), Huashan Pi (2), and Lichee Pi (15) projects underway

    • Website updates coming soon.  Will at a minimum reference Labs (link) as another way to get access to hardware.

    • Discussion on the mailing list: what should our key development board be in 2024?  Buy some more VF2s or wait for something with Vector 1.0?

  • Miscellaneous topics

    • Hardware requirements for remote management of build servers

      • Here’s the link to Debian requirements: https://dsa.debian.org/ports/hardware-requirements/.  Key requirements are as follows:

        • Out of band management with dedicated network port, preferably a BMC, or failing that, serial console and networked power bars

        • Rackmount

        • No human intervention to power on.

    • Customer Reference Board Discussion (Manmohan Brahma)

      • Manmohan would like to see reference boards created by RiSC-V

      • However, RISC-V has traditionally stayed away from “implementations” such as micro-architecture.

      • Recommendation: Manmohan should continue his discussion with RISC-V CTO Mark Himelstein to understand the likelihood that this will change.

What’s cool?:

-Jeff