February 12th Update

Hillary Stasonis

Feb 12, 2021, 3:06:09 PM2/12/21
to naps...@northandoverpublicschools.com
Good Afternoon North Andover Families and Staff,

Every day, the North Andover Public Schools administrative team struggles with the same challenges and uncertainties facing school districts across this country during this pandemic. When will it be safe for our students to return to school? How do we reconcile mixed messages and conflicting guidelines from our state and federal advisers? How do we balance the mental and emotional toll of off-site learning with the physical safety of our students and teachers?

In recent days, I have received several communications from frustrated parents seeking the return of students back to in-person learning. I want you to know that I have read every one of those letters, and I take them seriously, even as I hear from other parents satisfied with the hybrid model who would not feel comfortable with a return of in-school learning until the fall.

Believe me, I understand your frustration because it’s the same frustration we all share. There is simply no substitute for in-person learning. We recognize the strain the current situation puts on families and the mental health and well-being of our students. There is nothing we want more than to have all of our students back in school where they belong. As you may already know, we are continuously monitoring guidance updates from the CDC, DPH, and DESE (Department of Elementary and Secondary Education). Based on this guidance, we are actively evaluating our in-person options. Class size and space constraints have been a serious issue for North Andover for years—a pre-existing challenge that many other school districts are not facing.

Area superintendents and union leaders have petitioned the Governor to prioritize the vaccination of all public-school educators. We want our teachers vaccinated conveniently, effectively, and locally.

Our staff has worked tirelessly to meet the needs of our students, learning new ways to deliver instruction and connect with classes. We continue to conduct formative and summative assessments to know how students are doing and will be using this critical information to develop additional and future programming as part of the recovery services needed.

There is a light at the end of this long, weary tunnel; it cannot come soon enough. And while we may not have the answers you want to hear right now, I recognize that it is important that we keep you informed of our progress and plans. I pledge to continue to do that.

We wish you all a happy and healthy school break, and we will plan to report back to you when we return.

Best,

Dr. Gregg T. Gilligan, Superintendent