[build] macOS SDK is now bootstrapped

Mike Hommey

Feb 1, 2023, 11:46:58 AM2/1/23
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

As of bug 1522986 (on autoland right now, will be on central on the next
merge), the macOS SDK will be bootstrapped automatically rather than the
one installed on the system being used. This will ensure you use the
exact same version used on automation without having to worry about it.

You needn't do anything on your end for it to happen, but in case things
go wrong, please reach out to me directly (e.g. on Element) or file a bug
in the Firefox Build System :: Bootstrap Configuration component.

Mike

Dave Townsend

Feb 2, 2023, 5:32:07 AM2/2/23
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Does this mean we no longer need XCode installed at all?

Mike Hommey

Feb 2, 2023, 5:48:13 AM2/2/23
to Dave Townsend, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On Thu, Feb 02, 2023 at 10:31:54AM +0000, Dave Townsend wrote:
> Does this mean we no longer need XCode installed at all?

XCode was, in fact, already not required. Some documentations might
still be referencing it, but it hasn't been a strict requirement for a
little while now. You do still need the Command Line Tools,
unfortunately, because that is what gives you python3.

If you spot a documentation recommending XCode, feel free to open a bug,
although there are legitimate reasons why we'd recommend people to
install it, but I'm not sure those reasons are clearly laid out.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/mozilla.org/d/msgid/dev-platform/CAPMxTNohdFd03tPm6wfBDrq173BOZn7hFaxZtDN5hqGg_fAVRQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Dave Townsend

Feb 2, 2023, 5:50:30 AM2/2/23
to dev-pl...@mozilla.org
I guess what I was getting at is does this mean I still need to have developer tools (including a copy of the SDK) on my system meaning I'll have two copies of the same SDK taking up space? Sounds like the answer is yes.

Mike Hommey

Feb 5, 2023, 5:23:07 PM2/5/23
to Dave Townsend, dev-pl...@mozilla.org
On Thu, Feb 02, 2023 at 10:50:17AM +0000, Dave Townsend wrote:
> I guess what I was getting at is does this mean I still need to have
> developer tools (including a copy of the SDK) on my system meaning I'll
> have two copies of the same SDK taking up space? Sounds like the answer is
> yes.

It's likely not the same SDK, actually (we bootstrap 13.0, you might
have 13.1 or some other version)

Mike