The FCC 2024 Section 706 Report, GN Docket No. 22-270 is out!

Dave Taht

Feb 26, 2024, 10:08:45 AMFeb 26
to Network Neutrality is back! Let´s make the technical aspects heard this time!, Dave Taht via Starlink, Rpm, discuss, National Broadband Mapping Coalition
And...

Our bufferbloat.net submittal was cited multiple times! Thank you all
for participating in that process!

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-400675A1.pdf

It is a long read, and does still start off on the wrong feet (IMHO),
in particular not understanding the difference between idle and
working latency.

It is my hope that by widening awareness of more of the real problems
with latency under load to policymakers and other submitters
downstream from this new FCC document, and more reading what we had to
say, that we will begin to make serious progress towards finally
fixing bufferbloat in the USA.

I do keep hoping that somewhere along the way in the future, the costs
of IPv4 address exhaustion and the IPv6 transition, will also get
raised to the national level. [1]

We are still collecting signatures for what the bufferbloat project
members wrote, and have 1200 bucks in the kitty for further articles
and/or publicity. Thoughts appreciated as to where we can go next with
shifting the national debate about bandwidth in a better direction!
Next up would be trying to get a meeting, and to do an ex-parte
filing, I think, and I wish we could do a live demonstration on
television about it as good as feynman did here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raMmRKGkGD4

Our original posting is here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19ADByjakzQXCj9Re_pUvrb5Qe5OK-QmhlYRLMBY4vH4/edit

Larry's wonderful post is here:
https://circleid.com/posts/20231211-its-the-latency-fcc

[1] How can we get more talking about IPv4 and IPv6, too? Will we have
to wait another year?

https://hackaday.com/2024/02/14/floss-weekly-episode-769-10-more-internet/

--
https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/2024_predictions/
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos

rjmcmahon

Feb 27, 2024, 1:32:02 PMFeb 27
to Dave Taht, Network Neutrality is back! Let´s make the technical aspects heard this time!, Dave Taht via Starlink, Rpm, discuss, National Broadband Mapping Coalition
Thanks for sharing this. I'm trying to find out what are the key metrics
that will be used for this monitoring. I want to make sure iperf 2 can
cover the technical, traffic related ones that make sense to a skilled
network operator, including a WiFi BSS manager. I didn't read all 327
pages though, from what I did read, I didn't see anything obvious. I
assume these types of KPIs may be in reference docs or something.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Bob

Fenwick Mckelvey

Feb 28, 2024, 2:21:58 PMFeb 28
to rjmcmahon, Dave Taht, Network Neutrality is back! Let´s make the technical aspects heard this time!, Dave Taht via Starlink, Rpm, discuss, National Broadband Mapping Coalition, Reza Rajabiun
Hello from Canada,
I noticed some discussion about FCC and latency again (here and on hacker news: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=39533800). A few years ago, Reza and I spent considerable work at our national regulator, CRTC, establishing a latency and packet loss threshold for a minimum service broadband. We used M-Lab data to do so and I always hoped to see more work on latency as a measure, especially because you can calculate what would be minimum theoretical latency from an off-net IXP to a home.

Happy to offer any advice here and share some experiences if that helps.

Be good,
Fenwick

Be good,
Fen