Eager to Prepare for GSoC 2024: Getting Involved with MDAnalysis

Vishwas Sharma

Aug 28, 2023, 6:20:50 PM8/28/23
to MDAnalysis Google Summer of Code

Hello everyone,

I have recently embarked on my journey in open source, and I believe that I can acquire a wealth of knowledge through the GSoc program. Although I missed the opportunity to participate this year, I am determined to take part next year. To prepare for that, I have decided to get involved with MDAnalysis starting now, so that by the time GSoC 2024 commences, I can contribute to the project with the utmost dedication and a host of proposed ideas.

Best regards,
Vishwas Sharma

Project Manager MDAnalysis

Aug 29, 2023, 5:37:27 AM8/29/23
to MDAnalysis Google Summer of Code, vishwas.s...@gmail.com
Hi Vishwas,

Welcome to MDAnalysis, and thank you for expressing your interest in the project!

The best way to get started is to get your hands dirty following the MDAnalysis User Guide. We suggest starting with installing the MDAnalysis package and going through the Quick Start Guide. Other sections of the User Guide go into many more details about the different capabilities of MDAnalysis. We have a few introductory videos that can give you an idea of what problems MDAnalysis is solving.

Once you are a bit familiar with the MDAnalysis package, you can look at the sections of the User Guide explaining how to contribute. There are detailed explanations on how to set up a developer environment and how to contribute to the MDAnalysis codebase. This is a great starting point for contributing to MDAnalysis and trying to solve some of the open issues.

Hopefully this will help you get started, but please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. You can post on the MDAnalysis discussion (for usage-based questions) or developer (for questions about contributing) mailing lists. We also have a Discord server (join using this invite link) to chat with other MDAnalysis users and developers.

We look forward to your contribution.

All the best,
Jenna

--

Project, Community and Outreach Manager
MDAnalysis * https://www.mdanalysis.org/

a fiscally sponsored project of NumFOCUS